My friend´s new toy!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Ampex 400 which the transport was one of a kind. The electronics are similar to the 350 type, Have fun with it and good listening.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Rog-I was wondering where you have been.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Ampex 400 which the transport was one of a kind. The electronics are similar to the 350 type, Have fun with it and good listening.
It's not mine, belongs to one of my audio-buddies down here, it is already tweaked to play thru an external taoe head preamp (a BH Repro in this case) we all liked it a tad better than a pristine ATC RTR he also has.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011

400? Nah....it's a 300-2, likely one of the later versions. Could well have been converted from a 1/2" machine, due to the two unused 1/2" idler holes adjacent to the idler roller. As a playback rig I give that 9 in coolness...... :)

Tom

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
400? Nah....it's a 300-2, likely one of the later versions. Could well have been converted from a 1/2" machine, due to the two unused 1/2" idler holes adjacent to the idler roller. As a playback rig I give that 9 in coolness...... :)

Tom

It also sounds pretty well Tom, we had the chance to compare it with an ATC and eventhough the later had a more "complete sound" delivering more information from both extremes at the audioband, the Ampex yielded a tad better timing and palpable midrange textures.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
The 300 has a fairly long tape path, no scrape idler in the head assy (as stock), and of course the rubber-tire capstan drive...which was probably quite good when new but can be a roadblock on older machines. It seems your friend has addressed some of these issues, can you go into more detail? What head is he feeding the repro with?

Tom

xcortes

May 18, 2010
Ampex 300

I don't come much to this forum so I was surprised, while taking a quick look, to see my Ampex 300.

The machine was purchased NOS (yep, NOS) and the fine guys at "the history of recorded sound" serviced and set it up. They are into vinyl cutting lathes restoring and do know their business. We installed Flux Magnetics extended repro heads. Both 1/2 tr and 1/4 tr. Noisier (mechanically) than my Spitz ATR102 but it does sound nice. A little bit more body to the sound. Idlers are idlers.

It looks nice. It'll come to my office to live side by side with a Charles modified Nagra iv-s (with extra 1/4 track head and heads wired out), a Bottlehead repro, a custom Bottlehead WE437A headphone amp and a pair of Sony MDR-R10s.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't come much to this forum so I was surprised, while taking a quick look, to see my Ampex 300.

The machine was purchased NOS (yep, NOS) and the fine guys at "the history of recorded sound" serviced and set it up. They are into vinyl cutting lathes restoring and do know their business. We installed Flux Magnetics extended repro heads. Both 1/2 tr and 1/4 tr. Noisier (mechanically) than my Spitz ATR102 but it does sound nice. A little bit more body to the sound. Idlers are idlers.

It looks nice. It'll come to my office to live side by side with a Charles modified Nagra iv-s (with extra 1/4 track head and heads wired out), a Bottlehead repro, a custom Bottlehead WE437A headphone amp and a pair of Sony MDR-R10s.

That sounds like a truckload of gear!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing