My audio journey and electronics alway in flux

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I apologize in advance for posting these pics in another thread, but here's my story along with latest pictures.

As far back as I can remember I have been intrigued by audio electronics. I used to love playing with my Dad's half track reel to reel with the "green magic eye" tube back in the early 70s. In the later 70s I started my first system with a no-name receiver, Akai cassette deck, Technics TT and cheapo speakers. In the 80 - 90s, I progressed to an Onkyo receiver, then an Onkyo integrated amp, then 1 Carver cube amp, then 2 cube amps driving Micro Acoustics FRM-1AX speakers with a Phase Linear 8000 linear tracking TT. That system gave me more joy than I imagined was possible.

Fast forward (several changes in gear) to 2000 and a move from N.Y. to TX, with more space and a bigger budget, I moved to planars - Carver Amazings ALIIIs, then Martin Logan SL3s, and then to ML Summits (with a very short stint with Thiel CS3.6 in between).

Then I met some audio nuts like me in TX. With added enthusiasm an decent sized media room (plus a patient wife) my journey has taken me to the latest incarnation in the pics below.
Media room-front wall2sm.jpg
Usher BE20Ds, DIY treatments

media room-back wall-sm.jpg
More treatments, sweet spot

Audio rack-sm.jpg
DIY audio rack, Wells Audio Innamorata amp, Esoteric D-03, DIY Media PC (CAPS - like), 5TB eSATA storage

Usher BE20D-sm.jpg
Side shot of an Ushers

I'm really enjoying this system, but more changes on the way, namely an xover upgrade. the journey never stops and that's a good thing!:D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Very nice! Good to see the absorbers on the back and front walls as those are the places to put them if you need more absorption.

Two questions:

1. Do the tweeters really point up on the Ushers or is that a perspective distortion from the camera?
2. Do you play the guitars?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Very nice! Good to see the absorbers on the back and front walls as those are the places to put them if you need more absorption.

Two questions:

1. Do the tweeters really point up on the Ushers or is that a perspective distortion from the camera?
2. Do you play the guitars?

Thanks Amir.

The tweeters do indeed point up, in fact too much IMO for an average listening seat. I have found through significant experimentation that by increasing the rake angle (raising the back of the speaker) by ~1 1/2" made a significant benefit in high freq. clarity and overall sound staging. The front baffle is the same for the BE20 ad BE10 which is my speaker with only 1 11" Eton woofer. Since the BE20 are ~1' taller, this puts the tweeter's center firing point above the rear wall center absorber. the rake tweak was a huge plus, IMO.

I mess around with guitars, but I'm more of a keyboardist/piano player. I used to play in bands back in the day on Long Island, lots of fun.

Also, the room is deceptively a mix of absorbers and diffusers. All those little 1x1 squares at about 7 1/2' are 2D diffusers primarily for slap echo. The front wall has 2: poly diffusers behind each speaker, front wall center is a DIY BAD panel (abfusor) with an absorber above and mini-BAD in the middle (cover middle 20%) if that makes sense. Behind the curtains is 1 absorber at the first reflection point and several columns of mini poly diffusers. I initially did significant measuring with REW, but recent changes were done just via a Samsung app for basic measuring and my ear.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Hi Steve - it was great to spend some time with your system last week. You have come a long way down the audio road. I always enjoy your get togethers. It is worth the drive. You have to make it back down to my place. Maybe I'll have another meet and see who makes the trip down?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hi Steve - it was great to spend some time with your system last week. You have come a long way down the audio road. I always enjoy your get togethers. It is worth the drive. You have to make it back down to my place. Maybe I'll have another meet and see who makes the trip down?

Thanks Luther. I think if you have another get together, you'd have a car or two of Austinites come down to check out your systems, always a great time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing