Musk: Tired but optimistic about Tesla's future

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Philip LeBeau | CNBC

Elon Musk, founder and CEO of Tesla Motors (TSLA) says the electric car company is now building more than five-hundred Model S vehicles a week and is on target for a major ramp-up in production next year.
"Our big issue is raising production," Musk told CNBC while walking the company's assembly line in Fremont, California. "We don't want to be complacent about demand, but our goal is to increase the pace of production. By the end of next year we want to do 40,000 annually."
To hit that target Tesla will have to boost production by another 35 percent. That's the big question facing Musk and his team at Tesla, as demand for the Model S continues to grow.

On Wednesday, the company said it is now set up to take reservations in China, the world's largest auto market.
As Tesla ramped up production, Musk spent many long days on the factory floor working with his team as they've wrestled with kinks in the supply chain.
It's one reason why Musk has a desk on the plant floor near the Model S line. "I want to be in the battle, so that means being in the factory I can see how things are going," he said. "It's not the most comfortable place to be, but it's where the action is."

It's not a fancy set up. The desk is straight out of Ikea. "I think it's important to be with the team and know what's going on and be able to talk to them. To see what the approach is here and be able to see and solve problems," Musk added.

Musk in for the long run
The incredible success of Tesla over the last year, including a stock price soaring more than 300 percent and the Model S winning a slew of accolades including Motor Trend's Car of the Year and a near perfect score from Consumer Reports, has many praising Musk as one of America's most innovative CEO's.The rapid growth has also wiped him out."I'm often tired," said Musk. "I think I get far too much credit for the success of Tesla. The reason that we've been successful here is because we have a team of some people who work super hard. I'm the one who talks about the results but it's not me who did it really, it's the team here who did it."

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
has Tesla caught up on production? ie. are they still producing autos sold long ago

they are a dime a dozen on the west side of LA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing