MusicScope software: Real Time Analysis of HiRez Audio

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I was contacted by Xivero, developers of MusicScope music analysis software to do a write up on their product.

They produced the product to help hirez music vendors and consumers determine the
quality of HiRez music files, or any music files.

After a few weeks with the software, I am VERY impressed. It costs only $26.

It has been licensed to several hirez download stores, including HighResAudio.com of Germany.

-Windows 7 – 8 / 32 & 64 Bit as well as Mac OSX Lion 10.7.3 – Yosemity 10.10.x compatible
-Supported audio formats: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, MP3 and DSD
-Realtime analyzing of a selected audio input (e.g. Line-In) to do for example a Vinyl-Record measurement
-Bit Depth: 1 Bit, 16 Bit, 24 Bit and 32 Bit
-Sampling Rate: 44.1 – 384 kHz, DSD64 & DSD128
-Analyzing in Left / Right and Mid / Side Mode
-True Peak Meter: Peak, RMS, Crest
-Loudness Full Scale: Momentary, Short-Term, Integrated as well as Loudness Range
-Bit Monitor: Identify whether all bits are evenly used
-History Circle: Display Peak and Loudness or Mid / Side over time
-Stereo-Meter: Vector Scope, Balance- and Correlation-Meter
-Linear Frequency Spectrum: Measurement frequency and amplitude via mouse pointer
-Spectrogram: Monochrome and color mode as well as maximum and averaging processing
-Report: Export of text and graphical reports as single and aggregated playlist exports

https://www.xivero.com/musicscope/

John Darko has already written about here:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2...bjorks-vulnicura-under-the-xivero-musicscope/
and here:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2...try-becks-morning-phase-as-a-hi-res-download/

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Two reports:

First the 2010 24/96 unlimited remaster of the title track George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, which was only available at GeorgeHarrison.com:

Report generated by the MusicScope - www.xivero.com

File: 14 All Things Must Pass.flac

Audio format: PCM
Bit depth: 24 bit
Sample rate: 96.0 kHz

TPL L/M: -3.8 dB
TPL R/S: -0.7 dB
RMS L/M: -20.4 dB
RMS R/S: -19.3 dB
Crest Min.: 1.1 dB
Crest Max.: 11.4 dB
IS L/M: 0
IS R/S: 0

Max. M-Loudness: -11.0 dB
Max. S-Loudness: -13.5 dB
Integrated Loudness: -17.0 dB
Loudness Range: 4.1 dB

Attachments

• 14 All Things Must Pass.flac_report.jpg
    14 All Things Must Pass.flac_report.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Second, the 2014 24/96 remaster of the same track, available at HDTracks etc.:

File: 19-All Things Must Pass.flac

TPL L/M: 0.1 dB
TPL R/S: 0.1 dB
RMS L/M: -12.6 dB
RMS R/S: -13.7 dB
Crest Min.: 1.1 dB
Crest Max.: 11.5 dB
IS L/M: 1
IS R/S: 2

Max. M-Loudness: -4.8 dB
Max. S-Loudness: -7.1 dB
Integrated Loudness: -10.4 dB
Loudness Range: 3.5 dB

Attachments

• 19-All Things Must Pass.flac_report.jpg
    19-All Things Must Pass.flac_report.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A new 24/96 release from HDTracks.com, track analysis.

Jose Gonzalez, Vestiges & Claws, the track "Afterglow"

File: 09-Afterglow.flac

TPL L/M: -0.1 dB
TPL R/S: -0.1 dB
RMS L/M: -13.0 dB
RMS R/S: -13.5 dB
Crest Min.: 4.2 dB
Crest Max.: 13.2 dB
IS L/M: 0
IS R/S: 0

Max. M-Loudness: -7.5 dB
Max. S-Loudness: -9.2 dB
Integrated Loudness: -11.1 dB
Loudness Range: 3.0 dB

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I am curious about this. Is there any way to do real time analysis of streamed 16/44 music from sites such as Qobuz and Tidal?

Very good question. I believe it does, but I can ask the developers to verify. I can't test that myself as I have no streaming services.

The build updates are pretty regular..almost once a week.

wanta911

Mar 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Very good question. I believe it does, but I can ask the developers to verify. I can't test that myself as I have no streaming services.

The build updates are pretty regular..almost once a week.

Cool - thanks.

I subscribe to Qobuz streaming and I have downloaded & paid for Musicscope. I have tried to see if I can run it with Qobuz desktop on my Mac but I am clueless as to how to do it, or whether or not it is actually possible.

I love the interface, even if I am still a little unsure about a couple of the measurements as far as relevance and what they actually mean?

Edit: I replied too quickly! Thanks - I missed that, I'll give it a try.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Cool - thanks.

I subscribe to Qobuz streaming and I have downloaded & paid for Musicscope. I have tried to see if I can run it with Qobuz desktop on my Mac but I am clueless as to how to do it, or whether or not it is actually possible.

I love the interface, even if I am still a little unsure about a couple of the measurements as far as relevance and what they actually mean?

Edit: I replied too quickly! Thanks - I missed that, I'll give it a try.
No worries..it seems you have to route the output Qobuz into the software, and there several ways to do it, it seems.

Report back!

wanta911

Mar 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
OK. The Soundflower program that they recommend does the trick.

I can now get real time analysis of the Qobuz stream - albeit with no sound. I need to test this more tomorrow, maybe there is a setting in Qobuz where I can use Airplay or something? I can try Songcast but it's a bit flaky whenever I use it. I also tried it from the iTunes store for a laugh and that works well, with iTunes I can get external sound at the same time by using Airplay to my Auralic Aries as well as having the computer as an output.

This is good - I use streaming a fair bit to play music I wouldn't necessarily buy but also to audition - as I like to buy the music I really like. If I'm going to buy a download I would like to check what I'm getting as far as the version of the mastering goes. If it looks brick-walled or excessively compressed, I can then focus on getting an earlier pre-remastered version on CD, if there is one available.

I'm not entirely sure yet how to decipher the info in Musicscope as far as compression goes, but I have experimented by comparing different masterings of the same music I own on it and noting the differences. It's not as simple as the TT DR offline meter I have been using that basically just gives you a number but I think it can be very good.

Thanks again Andre Marc :)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
OK. The Soundflower program that they recommend does the trick.

I can now get real time analysis of the Qobuz stream - albeit with no sound. I need to test this more tomorrow, maybe there is a setting in Qobuz where I can use Airplay or something? I can try Songcast but it's a bit flaky whenever I use it. I also tried it from the iTunes store for a laugh and that works well, with iTunes I can get external sound at the same time by using Airplay to my Auralic Aries as well as having the computer as an output.

This is good - I use streaming a fair bit to play music I wouldn't necessarily buy but also to audition - as I like to buy the music I really like. If I'm going to buy a download I would like to check what I'm getting as far as the version of the mastering goes. If it looks brick-walled or excessively compressed, I can then focus on getting an earlier pre-remastered version on CD, if there is one available.

I'm not entirely sure yet how to decipher the info in Musicscope as far as compression goes, but I have experimented by comparing different masterings of the same music I own on it and noting the differences. It's not as simple as the TT DR offline meter I have been using that basically just gives you a number but I think it can be very good.

Thanks again Andre Marc :)

Thank xivero!

I am glad you find it useful, and being able to analyze different masterings on streaming services is amazing.

The information I personally find useful on the reports are the overall loudness, the stereo spread, and the ability to examine the the frequency spectrum...which allows you to see if something was upsampled, how much useful musical
information was there, regardless of sample rate, etc...for example there are some that are saying the new Paul Simon 96 kHz releases are really 24/48...have not checked into it myself yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing