Munich show 2023 Hifideluxe and MOC .

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
If you think so please identify it and explain why you objectively or subjectively feel so. The frontier between fancy cases and solid built, well though cases with sound quality objectives is not clear. High prices should surely deliver top performance, but in this hobby one man's meat is another man's poison. Unless we have access to such gear there is little that can done with good assurance.
Why I think so objectively? Pointless for audio. Why I think so subjectively? Because they don't sound good.

Reactions: PeterA

caesar

May 30, 2010
Stenheim is fantastic. As is Sigma MAAT, compared to Wilson. Also those who have Devore orangutans and 5k tannoy golds are much better off than Alexandria XLF, Alexia, Sasha and XVX listeners

Thanks. What amps do you recommend with Devore O96s?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. What amps do you recommend with Devore O96s?

NAF 2a3 or airtight 300b or similar. I would love to try Berning quadrature or atmasphere on it never had a chance

not all all out speaker but great till you get your final speaker and better than many so called efficient speakers that pretend to be horns, and better than many of the “we are big in size and costly in price” variety. It especially does well in getting out of the way and letting the recording and music play through.

Reactions: caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
Their is plenty of excellent gear around and too many factors can influence our biased choice in this individual hobby. IMO we can debate the why's of other people preferences, but should respect their biases - they comes from their audiophile education.

Hi Microstrip,
Can you please define what you mean by "audiophile education"? Do you mean listening to "experts" who heard a "deep soundstage" or "pin point imaging" and are writing about it?

Your comment implies a cerebral element to this hobby, which explains why so few people in the world partake in it.

I always thought that great gear should make you feel the music. I would take my Zus over 99.9 percent of the gear recommended by the so called experts in the audio press.

But please do elaborate

Reactions: Dentdog

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
NAF 2a3 or airtight 300b or similar. I would love to try Berning quadrature or atmasphere on it never had a chance

not all all out speaker but great till you get your final speaker and better than many so called efficient speakers that pretend to be horns, and better than many of the “we are big in size and costly in price” variety. It especially does well in getting out of the way and letting the recording and music play through.

Thanks. I know this is way off topic, but any thoughts on Phasemation vs Air Tight or similar ?

caesar

May 30, 2010

only regret this year was not having more clips done from Zeiler Audio room.

Great video. thanks for sharing. I was so bummed when they didn't bring these speakers to the most recent Axpona. Is there really a 2-3 year backlog on these speakers?

Reactions: Moiz Audio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. I know this is way off topic, but any thoughts on Phasemation vs Air Tight or similar ?

Phasemation is mostly known for the phono. Are you asking to compare to airtight phono?

caesar

May 30, 2010

in some ways WA has asked for it by being the brick and mortar standard, but in other ways it's just too easy to dump on them....

it's a classic definition of band wagon effect... popular brands become even more popular....

the Analytical Sound published a dealer directory recently, and wilson was at 90 percent of their preferred dealers. ( I think they have / had? a new wilson loving executive) ... the problem is that wilson is such a polarizing taste. when new comers - many multi-millionaires - experience this hobby via wilson, they aren't running to our hobby like kids to a park, to say they least...

but band wagon effects severely hurts our hobby. and it is very difficult to overcome band wagon effects.

the recent new comers like Stenheim, Gobel, and Borreson may be better but they don't stand a chance.

To overcome band wagon effects, brands must:

(1) be distinguished and differentiated. So many well engineered products lose to an inferior product because the offer isn't communicated clearly . The best way to differentiate is to compare and draw sharp contrasts and explain the trade offs. This is one of the reasons I despise so many of the worthless , disgusting reviewers, who just write meaningless gibberish and declare whatever they like or want advertising revenue from, as the best (Example: "Berkeley reference dac is the best dac extant" , "magico is the champion of the world" , etc)

(2) reach a larger audience (via a robust dealer network). Otherwise, the brand is doomed .

I really love the creative work rhapsody is doing in this regard with their satellite model. But I don't see either (1) or (2) met by Borreson, Stenheim, or Gobel

I love many aspects of the hobby, and would love to see a more robust industry , with more innovation, appealing to more diverse people and tastes , and growing. Instead, we have a small handful of companies making big money off hifi dreck , getting their asses kissed by worthless, filthy, disgusting “audio journalists”, while vast majority of other talented designers are living like church mice…and prices going sky high , shutting out the new blood while propping up hifi dreck…

This hobby should about enjoying music and gear, and generally, enjoying life. But instead it’s all about ego and propaganda and lies and misinformation coming from the “audio journalists” that drives their agenda... while locking in the incumbents

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Microstrip,
Can you please define what you mean by "audiophile education"? Do you mean listening to "experts" who heard a "deep soundstage" or "pin point imaging" and are writing about it?

Surely no - why so you systematically ask a question to someone and immediately answer nonsenses after writing "Do you mean", adding sulfurous content? I addressed this point previously in several threads, the education is needed because information is encrypted in stereo recordings in a way different real (life) music and also because it is limited compared to real. It is well know that we learn how to hear in real world along life, high-end audiophiles must do the same with stereo.

Your comment implies a cerebral element to this hobby, which explains why so few people in the world partake in it.

Surely it is a cerebral hobby.

I always thought that great gear should make you feel the music.

It does not contradict the fact that it involves cerebral activity

I would take my Zus over 99.9 percent of the gear recommended by the so called experts in the audio press.

Again the sulfurous content ...

But please do elaborate

Sorry, you managed to block my will to discuss stereo.

Reactions: GuyB

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Micro , dont get so upset .
Regarding the one involved in the above discussion we are not even sure he has a stereo system .
As far as i know ceaser could be a big teaser :)

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Interestingly, both Microstrip and I are soundlab owners and fans. however, he prefers wilson to soundlab, while I prefer my car radio to wilson. :)
Make/model of your car radio? I need an upgrade!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I wonder if Kyron Audio Gaia Loudspeakers are even better than the IO Design Naked RS Loudspeakers ?

https://www.facebook.com/KyronAudio/
I heard Kryon speakers years ago at RMAF and was very impressed with their "ahead of it's time active concept and sound. I have heard nothing about them in years which is too bad.

Peripherally there is a continuing trend that was strongly represented at Munich this year and that is active systems. I expect this trend to continue and that we should open our minds to its advantages. I'm a hard core two channel analog only importer and seller but have been working with actively powered DSP solutions on a custom basis for years. The promise is there ladies and gentleman, so let's open our minds:)

Here is a list of notable, but not all exhibitors showing active and DSP technology.
1. Tidal Audio for Bugatti
2. Avantgarde "iTron system" now available across all models
3. YG Acoustics "Vantage Live"
4. AirPlain ( a new company from Switzerland using Weiss streaming and DAC technology and PuriFi amplification that looks promising
5. Backes and Mueller (a 50 year old German firm) making mind blowing active line arrays
6. Omega Audio Concepts (Italian firm with unusually designed and beautifully built complete systems with active technology)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
With show season wrapping up I finally have a minute to myself. I have been wanting to share my favorite sounds of Munich 2023. Due to scheduled meetings I certainly did not hear everything but of the rooms I did.

1. Von Schweikert Ultra 7's - In a lightly treated room the sound was naturally and impressive. There is no doubt these are very special speakers and represent a new future for this venerable high-end loudspeaker creator. Kudos to Leif Swanson for taking Alberts technology to the next level!

2. Alysvox - I'm a huge panel fan and this was the first time I have had the chance to give them a serious listen. Loved them! I did not have the chance to hear the Clarisys but expect to soon.

3. Rockport Orion with Absolare. Simply a beautiful pairing and I always love seeing Kerem of Absolare.

4. Zellaton Pluro Evo - The Pluro Evo powered by YSS electronics at $75k blew me away and were my best-of -show. The speakers disappeared and offered it all - dynamics, tone, imaging and that undeniable emotional connection to the music. I cannot wait to hear them at Gideon's loft at Audio Arts with Goldmund and also powered by Angus's WestiminsterLab electronics which import. Thank you Gideon for the invitation!

zellaton-plural-evo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
have been working with actively powered DSP solutions on a custom basis for years. The promise is there ladies and gentleman, so let's open our minds:)

I ain't put'in no digital sprinkles on my analog ice cream!

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I ain't put'in no digital sprinkles on my analog ice cream!
Ron, that's why Baskin Robbin's had 28 flavors and lots of toppings but I feel you:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing