Munich HighEnd 2024

I wonder why so often these high cost systems fail to deliver in show conditions when they are set up by experts and professionals attempting to showcase their products.

For several decades I have participated and attended the OTC (Offshore Technology Conference) show and this week I attended the show once again. The products and services featured at the OTC show have a different standard in terms of performance and quality that needs to be delivered. It just feels more matter of fact without the gray area and excuses. Most of the exhibitors at the OTC show are dealing with pitching their wares for use on multi-billion dollar CAPEX projects so the stakes are higher but nevertheless it is nice when things are clear cut and products and services either deliver or they don’t remain in existence.

Actually not so difficult and the more complexity easier to fail .

1. Poor power source with multiple rooms pulling off the same line

2. Undersized and under powered for necessary dB levels needed to exceed noise floor , chit chat and various other noises .

3. Deaf and clueless operators , too low , too high clipping or just don't give a shit

4. Poor playlist not showing strengths of system they want to demo ..

5. The best rooms are those who totally control environment and know how to create a vibe when demoing ..!

Regards

Reactions: AudioHR and Gregm
Is this from Munich?

Excellent video account of the sound of these systems at Munich. The Schoeps Omni microphones capture the sound accurately and the YouTube use of the Opus (251) codecs offers the highest playback quality available on the platform. Hard to refute the authenticity of the sound. Thank you for the effort Vincent, great results with the studio interface.

What is interesting, at least to me, having listened also the high quality Believe In High Fidelity videos of these same systems recorded with an external MXL microphone, as well as several other videos from the Munich show shot on phones, that there are consistent impressions that can be drawn.

Thanks again for the effort and I look forward to part 2 and part 3 of your video expose if they are forthcoming.
I appreciate the efforts of the people involved, but the assertions made in this post are false.

You have to be there to hear what happened. It's that simple.

A microphone recording will never capture it or even give you a clue. It's gets even further away from what the microphone hears when it gets played back via a speaker or headphones.

C'mon. Peace, love and LSD and all, but your assertions are a lie.

I know that's harsh but for Christ's sake get real rather than delusional or indeed misrepresent the truth.

To be fair, most of the time it's not the gear or the capabilities of the set up folks. Put simply, it's the room. (You know this!)

Actually no, it’s the gear. The number of good sounding components and systems made commercially these days is very low.

Reactions: matthias and Rexp
Actually no, it’s the gear. The number of good sounding components and systems made commercially these days is very low.
Respectfully disagree but not completely. The evidence suggests otherwise to me as some rooms often had mostly the same gear (especially speakers) yet sounded quite different depending on the room.

Respectfully disagree but not completely. The evidence suggests otherwise to me as some rooms often had mostly the same gear (especially speakers) yet sounded quite different depending on the room.

You are referring to Munich only. Pull them out of Munich they sound equally bad. Munich gives them an excuse to sound bad

I appreciate the efforts of the people involved, but the assertions made in this post are false.

You have to be there to hear what happened. It's that simple.

A microphone recording will never capture it or even give you a clue. It's gets even further away from what the microphone hears when it gets played back via a speaker or headphones.

C'mon. Peace, love and LSD and all, but your assertions are a lie.

I know that's harsh but for Christ's sake get real rather than delusional or indeed misrepresent the truth.

Here is the deal, if a pair of Schoeps omnidirectional microphones cannot capture the sound accurately then the whole premise of sound recordings falls apart. Those microphones are good from 20Hz to 20KHz and much better than what is most often used in the studios for recordings. I have been in many recording studios and let me say that Schoeps microphones would be a featured item at most studios. Let’s get real, this hobby is based on recordings made with often inferior set up than what Vincent used to make his recordings. At some point simple logic has to prevail.

Last edited:
To be fair, most of the time it's not the gear or the capabilities of the set up folks. Put simply, it's the room. (You know this!)

I guess that I hold vendors to a higher standard. If the room is always the limiting factor than what do you say of exhibitors that go to great lengths and even build a room inside a room on the display floor?

Reactions: Audiohertz2
What is the objective of those who bring in the gear knowing it will sound Sub optimal at a show?

They know that even if does, it is still worth it for them because their main customer doesn’t care. It is kind of sad but that is where the industry is at.

They should try and produce gear that sounds great in average rooms. It is not hard, and will be more realistic, but then audiophiles want the bling and the size. As long as customers like this exist, the industry will cater to them, those who like music will stay out. The fact that private individuals put in orders after Munich is kind of appalling as it is more status driven than sonic driven, since they have put in their orders despite a sub optimal demo

Yes on Gryphon. It was very good, lots of nice sound although personally what I heard lacked a touch of soundstage depth. Hard to tell at shows really.

Searching for picture, lol! The BrinkMann rooms itself was quite nice.
Yes, this was quietly one of the more musical sounding rooms. The WOD room with Ypsilon and Rossifiorentino speakers was also quite good! Every time I hear a room with the Phaeton amp I hear a good sound.

If you want to have a good experience in munich you can go to gobel showroom just 45mins car driving for listening to gobel speakers .

I should thank to designer of gobel for perfect demonstration.

IMG_9574.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing