Mullard88's Main Listening Room

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I took a couple of pics with my phone cam with flash, it was dark in the speakers' area. Preamp is an FM Acoustics, and amps are the Lamms.

20160628_131030.jpg 20160628_131142.jpg

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Steve,

The frame that holds the Quads has a circular pattern. The middle part which is supposed to house the ribbon is the most forward part. Then both the lower and upper part of the frame slope backwards. It's now set up with the lower Quads more forward. That's the reason the upper panel is sloped backwards.

I set it up by just listening to the lower panels while playing with the tilt of the lower Quads. When it was right for my taste, I connected a short speaker cable to the upper part. The speaker cabling is done in series, from amplifier to lower Quad, then from lower Quad to upper Quad. The speakers are firing straight, there is no toe in. I'm still listening to the stacked Quads. No subwoofer. No ribbon tweeter.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Jadis,

Your paparazzi skills amaze me. I did not even know you snapped pictures. The lighting was set for listening. I don't like to see much when I'm listening. I like listening with eyes closed.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis,

Your paparazzi skills amaze me. I did not even know you snapped pictures. The lighting was set for listening. I don't like to see much when I'm listening. I like listening with eyes closed.

Sam, I was a 'photobug' in the late 70s and 80s and I guess my old 'skills' still has stuck with me. Indeed, I remember you always have dim or no light in our audio sessions. I do that too. And by the way, I must say that your listening chair is the most relaxing I've ever sat. Perfect from head to feet.

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Appreciate the additional photos,...the whole setup and room looks very inviting!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Phillip,

I just saw your post#32 now. Thank you for the kind words. You are welcome to listen anytime. I'm glad you enjoyed. Too bad you had to leave so early.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Phillip,

I just saw your post#32 now. Thank you for the kind words. You are welcome to listen anytime. I'm glad you enjoyed. Too bad you had to leave so early.

My pleasure as always, Sam.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Pradeep,

Thank you for your kind words. Let me know whenever your travels will land you here. I recall you planned to visit last December or this January. May I ask if you were able to come?

Best regards,
Sam

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Jadis,

Your paparazzi skills has not faded at all. I recall you had a photo topic called asses and lasses when we were still in university.

You can put the same listening chair in your music room. You'll just have to "bow" your Magnepan towards you a bit to compensate for the lowered ear level lounging in such a chair.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis,

Your paparazzi skills has not faded at all. I recall you had a photo topic called asses and lasses when we were still in university.

You can put the same listening chair in your music room. You'll just have to "bow" your Magnepan towards you a bit to compensate for the lowered ear level lounging in such a chair.

Interesting idea, Sam.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Jadis,

Do you remember 5 or 6 years ago, I had a pair of Magnepan 1.6 that Super Mario ripped apart so that we can experiment and modify? One of the things we discovered is that they sounded best when tilted down towards the listening seat.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis,

Do you remember 5 or 6 years ago, I had a pair of Magnepan 1.6 that Super Mario ripped apart so that we can experiment and modify? One of the things we discovered is that they sounded best when tilted down towards the listening seat.

Yes Sam, I recall you had the 1.6 before. That's an interesting tweak. I should try it some time.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Steve,

The frame that holds the Quads has a circular pattern. The middle part which is supposed to house the ribbon is the most forward part. Then both the lower and upper part of the frame slope backwards. It's now set up with the lower Quads more forward. That's the reason the upper panel is sloped backwards.

I set it up by just listening to the lower panels while playing with the tilt of the lower Quads. When it was right for my taste, I connected a short speaker cable to the upper part. The speaker cabling is done in series, from amplifier to lower Quad, then from lower Quad to upper Quad. The speakers are firing straight, there is no toe in. I'm still listening to the stacked Quads. No subwoofer. No ribbon tweeter.

I see you have just the same frame I have owned in the late 80's - the HQD frame built for the Mark Levinson system. In my room, for my taste the midrange of the double stack was too rich with some excess of mid bass. However I remember that when the ribbon tweeter was added, crossed at 7 kHz, the balance became much more natural. It was curious that the "supper" tweeter, that had minimal contribution, could subjectively improve the midrange significantly.

Do you tilt the stack to optimize the tonal balance or the image?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi microstrip,

When I set up, my first concern is resolution of the quantity of details. I pick whichever gives me the richest sound. Tonal balance, I will solve it by changing equipment, power cables, speaker cables, interconnect cables, whatever it is along the equipment chain. I do enjoy imaging but I am not an imaging freak. I am satisfied as long as I have a sense of each sound coming from a certain part of the stage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing