Most vinyl-sounding DAC?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IMG_0117.jpeg
These are the current settings I am using.

Reactions: Daverich4

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Of course dCS measures superb, because it employs sharp filter and/or oversampling which offers best measurement performance with good frequency response characteristics. On the other hand very slow filters (or NOS) keep linear phase and offer great transient characteristics which is more important than frequency response for people (including me) in terms of SQ.
I don’t hear any issues with transients on playback but I am always willing to try new filters.

Reactions: mtemur

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
They have build amazing machines 16 dacs chips to get best low level resolution the dc 91 dac is today under the top 3 dacs for me when you hear only cd.
Used probably the best DAC chip the BB PCM63K.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Used probably the best DAC chip the BB PCM63K.
My personal favorite ultra analog dac
Ultra Analog D20400 open-IV.jpg

P.S that thing need a heatsink on the top, or it died after years

Last edited:
Reactions: acousticsguru

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
I changed the factory settings to those recommended by John Giolas. Then local dealer Scott Carpenter who has excellent critical listening skills created his own settings based on lengthy listening sessions and shared them with me. I really have them to be superb.
That's certainly quicker than to go through all the choices between Vivaldi Apex DAC and Upsampler units combined! ;)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Reactions: Lee

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
View attachment 126318

Nice, had a couple of DACs using those back in the era (one with swappable DAC board, that was quite interesting, the other with a tube output stage, either way, the UltraAnalog had a slightly thick and mellow sound that was nonetheless preferable to mostly anything else available at the time).

Reactions: DasguteOhr

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
View attachment 126295
These are the current settings I am using.
Interesting. Needless to say, there are no "best" settings, those are system-dependent. But there are ones (the factory settings, and therein lies the irony…) that aren't meant for music playback.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
View attachment 126318

I own two DACs with thes modules. Both are from early 90s and neither has heat sinks. Both still work fine. The Ultraanalog input receivers though would fail. Better to just use a CS part.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Nice, had a couple of DACs using those back in the era (one with swappable DAC board, that was quite interesting, the other with a tube output stage, either way, the UltraAnalog had a slightly thick and mellow sound that was nonetheless preferable to mostly anything else available at the time).

That was largely due to their frequent pairing with a PMD100 digital filter. When paired with a better digital filter they no longer sound like that.

Reactions: mtemur

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

They have PRAT allways pleasure listen music with that thing and a tube outputstage sonic frontiers or stax x1 t dac

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I own two DACs with thes modules. Both are from early 90s and neither has heat sinks. Both still work fine. The Ultraanalog input receivers though would fail. Better to just use a CS part.
Good luck , the only company that not ignore that problem are mark levinson dac no 30( thick aluminium block) and 35(heat sink)
1404654262070.jpg

P.S that chip get so hot that label gettin of after time

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Good luck , the only company that not ignore that problem are mark levinson dac no 30( thick aluminium block) and 35(heat sink)
View attachment 126328

P.S that chip get so hot that label gettin of after time
As I said, 30+ years and still going…

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
They have PRAT allways pleasure listen music with that thing and a tube outputstage sonic frontiers or stax x1 t dac
I woukd love to have a STAX, which might actually be the most analog sounding DAC ever.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
I woukd love to have a STAX, which might actually be the most analog sounding DAC ever.
I remember that one well, unfortunately way beyond my financial means as a student back then! Loved that unit, but needs a custom shelf to be able to plug in the two (!) power cords (unless using stock).

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I once had one, at some point I had the crazy idea that there was definitely something better and sold it. can someone please hit me in my face, there's nothing better...big exclamation point behind it.

P.S 3 power iec sockets at underside dac(digital,left and right chanel analog) H78cfYLRXN.jpg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I once had one, at some point I had the crazy idea that there was definitely something better and sold it. can someone please hit me in my face, there's nothing better...big exclamation point behind it.

P.S 3 power iec sockets at underside dac(digital,left and right chanel analog) View attachment 126336
Technology has advanced quite a bit since that was released. Released in 1989 and limited to 20/48 resolution.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: morricab

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014

P.S 3 power iec sockets at underside dac(digital,left and right chanel analog) View attachment 126336
Right, three. Anyways, fond memories apart from the inability to (easily) use some favorite power cords.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Technology has advanced quite a bit since that was released. Released in 1989 and limited to 20/48 resolutio.
With modern formats e.g. DSD I agree with you, but there are still people outhere who only listen to CDs. Then it becomes difficult for modern competition. Sure, I didn't have a Wadax or a Metrome c/AQWO dac. From what I heard at the demonstrations, I wouldn't panic about selling the device again today If I still owned the Stax. I'm happy with my metronome C6dac because you can play excellent music but in the back of my mind the Stax has a very special place.

Reactions: morricab and Lee

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Technology has advanced quite a bit since that was released. Released in 1989 and limited to 20/48 resolutio.
True, but some people around here (not me) never listen to high-resolution digital, so if redbook CD and DAT were all one is playing, it’s still a pretty fine DAC.

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing