Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Things aren't a whole lot better in college football either.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So who's worse? Michele Ferrari or the team docs for Pro football?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Here is what I find amazing - Taylor's quote: “Would I do it all again? I would,” Taylor says. “If I had to sleep on the steps standing up for 15 years, I would do it.”

I had no idea. I knew a lot of pain killer and steroids were involved but nothing like this.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Oh my, more shocking s$%t. I'm with Myles, they are all so possessed by winning and money that nothing else matters... all the docs are doing is helping push the performance envelope. We are all guilty, the mass complicit.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here is what I find amazing - Taylor's quote: “Would I do it all again? I would,” Taylor says. “If I had to sleep on the steps standing up for 15 years, I would do it.”

I had no idea. I knew a lot of pain killer and steroids were involved but nothing like this.

Oh my, more shocking s$%t. I'm with Myles, they are all so possessed by winning and money that nothing else matters... all the docs are doing is helping push the performance envelope. We are all guilty, the mass complicit.

That's pretty much what Hamilton talks about in his book :) Cycling, football, baseball just looked the other way. The athletes were just dollar signs!

Here Hamilton is in the top shape of his life and he's being passed like he's standing still by riders doing steroids, perfluorocarbons, EPO, etc. of course some like Hampstein just quit the sport. It's amazing to see how much EPO contributed to their results.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

NO we are not.

The players do it themselves. I'm not even interested in their games. I'd rather listen to music or talk with friends. The players are responsible for their own damage, destiny and deaths. No one forces them to do anything. They are driven to it by the money they make.

They shouldn't be getting millions of dollars to play a game anyway. Yes, it's a game. Don't tell me its a business. It shuffles money around, but it benefits no one. It is just unfortunate that many of them feel used up before they have accumulated very many years.

I feel very strongly about that.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
NO we are not.

The players do it themselves. I'm not even interested in their games. I'd rather listen to music or talk with friends. The players are responsible for their own damage, destiny and deaths. No one forces them to do anything. They are driven to it by the money they make.

They shouldn't be getting millions of dollars to play a game anyway. Yes, it's a game. Don't tell me its a business. It shuffles money around, but it benefits no one. It is just unfortunate that many of them feel used up before they have accumulated very many years.

I feel very strongly about that.

Gary

This is a societal problem. The game is the most popular in the USA and I would venture that many here watch it. It is not by accident that the NFL thread is among the most visited and replied to.
The NFL is a business: A product is sold and (large) profits are made. We can discuss about in which way it benefits society at large, it does benefit some people. You are free to question the NFL operatives morality or ethics but they benefit from these people putting their lives on the line. The Lure of money is strong and we share it with them however vociferously we may deny it. We , in this forum may have other means to make money to sustain our often expensive hobbies. Audiophilia by the way is a prime example of expensive hobby with speakers costing easily a quarter of a milion dollars and cables over $50,000. These guys work with what they think they have.

I feel for these misguided souls personally. This is a tragedy and this article and similar should raise more awareness at a societal level. We may not be able to eliminate all the violence in this sport It is after all fundamentally violent but we may lessens it somewhat or at least make the damages less severe and life threatening.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder what the mean career lengths are by position. I'm pretty sure that some of the positions have spans much shorter than others. Short enough to try crazy things to "make hay while the sun shines". Sad indeed.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think that running backs have a very short career in comparison to many other positions.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow. Thanks Greg. I thought kickers and QBs averages would be much higher and not just a measly year longer.

The Gladiator euphemism is apt. The sport sure chews them up and spits them out.

How about Ice Hockey?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The new rookie salary cap may make things worse. Each year every team is looking to replace a third of their roster. Just look at the coaching changes.

The rookie salary cap last three to four years. So you could be out of football before you are eligible for veteran money.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing