More 70's Music on Vinyl- Original or Early Pressings

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Tripping in motion :p

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bummer. I thought I was going to hear some sound.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Bummer. I thought I was going to hear some sound.

It would have sounded dreadful, that's from an old digital camera.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Well, maybe Bill should make a recording with his rig.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
image.jpg I am just so pleased with myself. I got a test pressing of an old Bonnie Raitt record. It had the cue sheet and it happens to be one of my favorite records of hers-Takin' My Time. But, here's the killer: I didn't expect it to be in good sonic condition and this thing is just spectacular. I know this record, like it's in my DNA. Kinda makes up for the sucky **** you get sometimes off the intraweb, even from reliable sources.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I am just so pleased with myself. I got a test pressing of an old Bonnie Raitt record. It had the cue sheet and it happens to be one of my favorite records of hers-Takin' My Time. But, here's the killer: I didn't expect it to be in good sonic condition and this thing is just spectacular. I know this record, like it's in my DNA. Kinda makes up for the sucky **** you get sometimes off the intraweb, even from reliable sources.

I just got her eponymous LP that was recently reissued by MOV and the SQ is meh...im taking a break from reissues as some of them have left me wanting. i've been on a promo and 1st pressings collecting binge as of late. nice grab, btw.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I just got her eponymous LP that was recently reissued by MOV and the SQ is meh...im taking a break from reissues as some of them have left me wanting. i've been on a promo and 1st pressings collecting binge as of late. nice grab, btw.

I have an early pressing of her first record that i bought back in the day, remember it sounding pretty dark and muddled- there's one song on that album worth the price of admission-Thank You i think it's called.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I have an early pressing of her first record that i bought back in the day, remember it sounding pretty dark and muddled- there's one song on that album worth the price of admission-Thank You i think it's called.

I got it for "mighty tight woman" funny thing is the orig LP is so cheap and plentiful. the MOV reissue was an impulse buy. someone should remaster "the lost broadcast" on vinyl its been out on red book, its a 'must have' if you don't already own it.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I just went to epay, it is on vinyl - yippee!

Are you talking about the studio/radio thing she did with Lowell George out on Long Island in the early 70's with 'Can't Find My Way Back Home"? I've been looking for that....
talk to me if that's what your onto....

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
thanks, Rob. The other song on the first album was 'Since I fell for you.'
I haven't listened to that album in years.
I didn't know about The Lost Broadcast.
There is another one, recorded out on Long Island at Ultra Sonic studios in connection with a radio broadcast at or around the time she was in NY for shows in, in think Oct '72. Lowell plays on it, and there's a nice rendition of 'Can't Find my way back home." By that time, I'm pretty sure 'Give it Up' had been released. I gather it was on vinyl at some point, perhaps a bootleg, and some dude from Argentina is selling CDs, perhaps also boots. I've been trying to track a legitimate copy of the vinyl down (if there even is such a thing) for a while, with no luck.
Let me know how the vinyl is on the one you just bought. Looks like it spans songs from the first two albums.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The 70's in Quebec consisted of some great artists like Robert Charlebois, Gilles Vigneault, Boule Noire, Harmonium, Fiori-Seguin and the wonderfully talented Diane Dufresne. The album posted below was a huge hit when released in 1975 and I'm happy to say my copy is still in great, great condition. I don't play it often, but I really should as I love her voice and the mixture of folk, rock, latin, jazz influences.

IMG_0381.JPG

This is an alternate take of the album/song title on Side 2 of the record.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Did a brief comparison of two copies of Close to the Edge. One a 75 Rock AT/GP both sides -A/-A, the other the recent Friday Music reissue cut by Chris Bellman. No contest the vintage pressing won handily. The reissue is muffled and veiled, and sounds strange for this album. I have another earlier AT/GP on the Broadway label (can't remember the stamper info, but I think it is -C), off the top of my head it's a touch noisier in between tracks, a bit more bass and not as open in the treble.

Yes - Close To The Edge, 75 Rockefeller label AT/GP by docanalogue, on Flickr

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I would have bought the Diane Dufresne LP just for the cover shot!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would have bought the Diane Dufresne LP just for the cover shot!

That may have been an influencing factor back then as well. ;)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Did a brief comparison of two copies of Close to the Edge. One a 75 Rock AT/GP both sides -A/-A, the other the recent Friday Music reissue cut by Chris Bellman. No contest the vintage pressing won handily. The reissue is muffled and veiled, and sounds strange for this album. I have another earlier AT/GP on the Broadway label (can't remember the stamper info, but I think it is -C), off the top of my head it's a touch noisier in between tracks, a bit more bass and not as open in the treble.

Yes - Close To The Edge, 75 Rockefeller label AT/GP by docanalogue, on Flickr

I recently got a bunch of the early Yes records. Piros/Monarch. In mint - condition for very reasonable money. Killer. I'm getting to the point where the reissues/remasters only make sense if the original pressing is impossible to find in top condition without paying crazy money. I was bidding on that 'RL' SS narrow band Zep II until it went beyond 375 dollars; I think it sold for almost 500. Though my copy is at best VG+ and I'd like to replace it with a mint copy, the price is pretty excessive.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just put on a relatively early pressing of There Goes Rhymin' Simon and it was far, far better than I ever remember it sounding. Don't think have listened to it in years!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
To add to the pile (none cleaned or played yet):
Tull: This Was (pink Label)
ELP first (Pink Label)
Crimson: In the Court (Pink Rim, I'm on the fence about a Pink Label, given how pricey they are)
Harvest, Neil Young (the first pressing I bought was noisy, I'm still looking for a quiet one, but the Chris Bellman remaster arrived today, which is supposed to be pretty good)
Yes, Yes album- UK first? plum

Others that have arrived which I have played, but they are not 70's:
Disraeli Gears Monarch first press- best I have heard this album
13th Floor Elevators- Sundazed reissue- the original pressings are pricey, and the sonics aren't really what this is about. Drop some acid and enjoy:)
Many more to come, including a German pressing of the Uriah Heep 'Very 'Eavy' (the Vertigo UK first press is pretty pricey, so I'll start with this one); a bunch of Traffic UK pink labels and pink rims; (the early UA pressing of John Barleycorn isn't half bad); a green label Dixie Chicken (I forgot how much I enjoyed the early Little Feat albums, most of which i have as Burbank Palm Trees that I bought new); Aqualung WLP; Deep Purple Machine Head Purple Label UK first- really good sounding); and a 2 eye of the first B, S & Tears album.
Seems like I've gotten to a point where I'm not fking around with the hardware and just playing records. And, unlike the old days, where I would play the one or two cuts that I thought were 'best,' I'm just listening to whole albums (or at least whole sides).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing