Mono Cartridges

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Imho what is a more interesting question is if a mono cart with no vertical compliance ( often of the vertical shaft generator topology ) can yield better results than a modern MC topology ( regardless of how it's wired )...
I still want to know if Jonathan Carr is right. :confused: Can a true mono cartridge with no vertical compliance actually destroy a modern mono recording? Does anyone have any evidence that this has happened?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If it did it would be a mono record with spurious vertical displacement...

Now when talking the earliest monos that followed 78s there can be an issue around material formulation, but that's different

Reactions: mtemur

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
How long do you think till a new system settles down into optimal state with the vyger RS and you are comfortable operating the vyger to swap carts so that each cart is well aligned? For example, Jeroen has had it for years and he does not like to swap out the RS as it is well aligned and he does not want to screw up the setting. He uses that as reference. That’s why he never put his Opus on it. He swaps out his other carts on 4 arms on techdas and on his Dohmann quite easily. Some might do it more naturally dunno.
Isn't it possible to have 2 linear arms on the Vyger? If so, that would be the best solution for such a comparison.

I have not owned the RS, nor do I have the Vyger, but from my experience, the Sumile mono does things that no stereo cartridge that I've heard on my system does.
Mostly related to surface noise reduction and solidity of the mono image with exceptional depth and impact.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Isn't it possible to have 2 linear arm on the Vyger? If so, that would be the best solution for such a comparison.
Agreed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have not owned the RS, nor do I have the Vyger, but from my experience, the Sumile mono does things that no stereo cartridge that I've heard on my system does.

what monos

the other thing is, if it is so good at 0.65 mil, better than Miyajima 1.0, what does that do to the 0.7 and 1.0 theory from Miyajima and its followers?

did you try the compares with your stereo carts both with CH and Allnic phono?

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I've followed the discussion and I really cannot see why a spherical should be better than an advanced, also for mono early microgroove mono records. Also I cannot se why a cartridge without vertical compliance should be better for (also old/vintage) vinyl mono records than cartridges with vertical compliance. It would have to be compensated for with increased downforce, no? My old monos (Columbia, DG with yellow band, not plaquet across the top of the cover, etc.) are not completely flat.
1701766470628.png
The HF frequency content we try to dig out is the same for mono as for stereo, isn't it? A mono cutter diamond (or other gems) has the same shape as a stereo one, right? The cutter heads are (of course) different for mono and stereo.
So why not use a ML/MR/SAS for those early monos if the cutter was not blunt at the tip pf the V?

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I just checked with Bill, and he said he enjoyed monos equally to the stereo when he heard the Sumile stereo on Vyger, RS on Vyger, and Madake on Vyger.

So this is also quite a function of the Vyger LT. Could a dedicated mono sound better, maybe, but imo if you could flip stereo and mono and they sound equal on the vyger, adding a mono cart to beat the stereo cart on monos, is like trying another stereo cart to beat existing stereo cart on stereo pressings. You might get better, or you might not, depending on how good the mono cart is.

There are also other variables like the entire system, because on some systems monos sound good with stereo carts while on some they sound broken. This could be a function of the phono, the speaker placements, etc.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I had DaVa A1 and DaVa mono in same arms: The Peak 12" from Stefano of the blog Twoogoodears and the comparison was thus relevant
the mono was definitely more solid sounding and with great depth and width of soundstage

Reactions: Lynnot and Argonaut

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I had DaVa A1 and DaVa mono in same arms: The Peak 12" from Stefano of the blog Twoogoodears and the comparison was thus relevant
the mono was definitely more solid sounding and with great depth and width of soundstage
Most interesting Leif particularly as AFAIAA Darius uses a 0.7 mil Conical on his mono only DaVa MONO Vintage FC cartridge

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Most interesting Leif particularly as AFAIAA Darius uses a 0.7 mil Conical on his mono only DaVa MONO Vintage FC cartridge

he made both 0.7 and 1.0, he recommended latter for pre 60 monos

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing