Mira 2

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I'm surprised Andy Payor did not put the scanspeak beryllium tweeter in all of the latest Rockport designs. I can't imagine it's the cost.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012

Mira 2 with the new midrange driver designed by Rockport.
The driver is also used in Avior.

Actually, the driver is very similar - the mid range driver in the Avior is larger.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
The latest speaker is the Avior - which has the beryllium tweeter. I assume the Mira2 was designed just before this was practical - also, the tweeter is a good bit more expensive than the soft dome.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Probably wouldn't be the case if Beryllium and Neodymium weren't so expensive. Welcome to the forum BTW, trponhunter.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
The latest speaker is the Avior - which has the beryllium tweeter. I assume the Mira2 was designed just before this was practical - also, the tweeter is a good bit more expensive than the soft dome.

The Mira 2 and the Chara are the 2 "new" models (late '11/early '12) that both still use the D30. These were released more or less at the same time as the Avior and the Alya which do contain the Beryllium units. I fail to understand how on a $16k loudspeaker (in the case of the Mira 2) you would save relatively speaking insignificant money and not put in the latest SOTA tweeter. It cannot be more than a $100 up charge, the D30 unit alone is $150 I believe.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
The Mira 2 and the Alya were released at least 6 months or more prior to the Avior. Don't under estimate how good the D30 sounds in the Mira2. Also, a few hundred dollar difference at raw cost adds up quickly by the time it is reflected in the final retail price of a speaker. You could also argue that the Mira 2 is pretty underpriced in today's market, as the price has held steady for a few years and costs have continued to rise.

Also, thank you treitz3 for your welcome!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing