Miles Ahead...coming next year to a cinema near you!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed. Wonder if Don Cheadle will actually play trumpet or they will dub in the work of someone else.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Indeed. Wonder if Don Cheadle will actually play trumpet or they will dub in the work of someone else.

That's an excellent question. In the preview, it looks like he is playing the instrument, BUT to play like Miles??? I suspect that they will need someone else to be also playing.

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
He's not playing.

Source: Lifetime trumpet player
Edit: It is very convincing though.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
He's not playing.

Source: Lifetime trumpet player
Edit: It is very convincing though.

I didn't think so either, but like you say very convincing. Anybody know who may be the artist that is actually playing?
One of the interesting things about the write-up and that I did not know, is that Miles was laid up and in pain for a long time with a hip issue ( which he would have replaced today!). Apparently, this movie chronicles his
time after that and with his late 70's comeback.

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
After a little more research, it seems that he is playing some of the stuff. In that clip though, he is 'trumpet-syncing'. He says he been learning to play for 3 years, with that little skill I would surprised if he really is playing everything in the movie.

I wonder how much they'll really delve into Miles, too. He was quite polarizing.

Here's a quick story that a trumpet teacher told me about Miles:

When Miles was a freshman at Julliard, he studied with William Vachiano, long time principal trumpet player of the New York Philharmonic. Bill wanted to work on transposition with Miles so he pulled out the 3rd trumpet part to Strauss' Ein Heldenleben. Bill says, "This excerpt is in the key of Eb, your trumpet is in the key of Bb, where does that leave you?" Miles retorted, "That leaves my trumpet in the case." Miles then walked out of the lesson.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
After a little more research, it seems that he is playing some of the stuff. In that clip though, he is 'trumpet-syncing'. He says he been learning to play for 3 years, with that little skill I would surprised if he really is playing everything in the movie.

I wonder how much they'll really delve into Miles, too. He was quite polarizing.

Here's a quick story that a trumpet teacher told me about Miles:

When Miles was a freshman at Julliard, he studied with William Vachiano, long time principal trumpet player of the New York Philharmonic. Bill wanted to work on transposition with Miles so he pulled out the 3rd trumpet part to Strauss' Ein Heldenleben. Bill says, "This excerpt is in the key of Eb, your trumpet is in the key of Bb, where does that leave you?" Miles retorted, "That leaves my trumpet in the case." Miles then walked out of the lesson.

That's a great story Chris. I think like most musical geniuses, Miles had a vision of what he wanted to accomplish in music and didn't want to get 'corrupted' by someone else's 'comprehension' of sound/music.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
It is always interesting to see how in movie anthologies a character is portrayed. I hope that in this case, Miles is not going to be portrayed in a bad light. Like most musicians, I'm sure he had his moments, but I think his overriding volume of excellent work should be considered as paramount, at least IMHO.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
With this movie concentrating on the 70s, it leaves room for someone to do a biopic of Miles focused on his rise to superstardom, perhaps starting with his first comeback during the 50s. I agree that Cheadle is an excellent choice for this movie. I hope the movie portrays much of what made Miles such a music icon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing