Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This is perhaps the most amazing album ever recorded. Everyone in the world knows of this album and I have never heard a negative comment/opinion about its content or raison d'etre. People just accept it and are in awe of it.

Will it be seen/heard this way 200-300 years from now, like Mozart, Beethoven, etc......?

John

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Tubular Bells is one of my all-time favourite records (especially side 1)--I love it! I once made a pilgimige to The Manor, the (ex) recording studio at which it was recorded. When he first heard Tubular Bells, John Peel was so impressed that he played the entire album on his radio show, something that (AFAIK) hasn't been repeated since.

There are a loads of subtle sounds and nuances in Tubular Bells that a really good system reveals, and of course the album is best enjoyed in the dark, volume cranked.

Just remember that although this stereophonic record can be played on mono equipment in a pinch, it cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in posession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station. :)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
One of my 2 favorites of his. The other is the double live album, Exposed, with versions of Tubular Bells and Incantations. Crossover progressive music at its finest.

Having stated this, both Amarok and Ommadawn are generally viewed as superior to Tubular Bells.

A point of clarification also should be made: to which Tubular Bells album are you referring, the 1973 original recording or the 2003 re-recording, when Mike Oldfield returned to the studio to re-record the original because he found flaws in the original recording?

I also agree with the post after yours: Mike Oldfield music is best served in a dark room and (IMO) preferably in an altered state.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I *think* John is referring to the 1973 original. I have most versions, but to me the 1973 version if the One True Tubular bells.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I *think* John is referring to the 1973 original. I have most versions, but to me the 1973 version if the One True Tubular bells.

Yes, I was referring to the 1973 orginal. I also have the UMG Back to Black 180g version, and just yesterday came across this:

Classic Records 200 Gram Vinyl
SKU: VS 2001-200G
Genre: Rock / Rock
Label: EMI
Reissue Label: CLASSIC RECORDS

Needless to say...I placed an order in for it. :)

John

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It is indeed a great piece, mine is quite scratched right now, might order a replacement in my month's order to AS. Thanks for thevheads-up on a great record/artist.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It is indeed a great piece, mine is quite scratched right now, might order a replacement in my month's order to AS. Thanks for thevheads-up on a great record/artist.

I ordered mine from TheMusic.com for $33. AcousticSounds has a Classic Records 180g version for $39.

I'm a little confused as one says its a 200g and the other a 180g? Can someone clarify this for me? Thx!

John

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
you all MUST hear (also) TB3. Like a lot of MO stuff there is a hit and miss or two on the album, but 80% of it is spectacular...and you simply MUST MUST hear the last two tracks on the album, in the dark, at full volume..it is mind blowing.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I ordered mine from TheMusic.com for $33. AcousticSounds has a Classic Records 180g version for $39.

I'm a little confused as one says its a 200g and the other a 180g? Can someone clarify this for me? Thx!

John

I think Classic Records released two versions: 180g and 200g. Both were presumably pressed from the original analogue masters, unlike the digitised Back to Black version...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think Classic Records released two versions: 180g and 200g. Both were presumably pressed from the original analogue masters, unlike the digitised Back to Black version...

Thanks Rich! Can't wait to compare the orginal to the UMG BtB and Classic pressing.

John

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
you all MUST hear (also) TB3. Like a lot of MO stuff there is a hit and miss or two on the album, but 80% of it is spectacular...and you simply MUST MUST hear the last two tracks on the album, in the dark, at full volume..it is mind blowing.
OK, Terry. Since I MUST hear it, it's ordered and I'll have it tomorrow. :)

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
oops, hope it meets with your approval!

I did say there were a few 'dud's didn't I?? Still, first four tracks as a group, one or two good ones in the middle, the last two, well hold on for the ride!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks Rich! Can't wait to compare the orginal to the UMG BtB and Classic pressing.

John

I love Tubular Bells too!!

Please remember to post your findings. I have the original 1973, but it's back in Singapore somewhere in storage. If the Classic pressing is any good, I'll get a copy of that. It is unfortunate that so many of the newer pressings are made from the 2nd or even 3rd generation tapes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love Tubular Bells too!!

Please remember to post your findings. I have the original 1973, but it's back in Singapore somewhere in storage. If the Classic pressing is any good, I'll get a copy of that. It is unfortunate that so many of the newer pressings are made from the 2nd or even 3rd generation tapes.

Just got word that it has arrived. Will be picking it up on Sunday morning. Will try to post something later that day or on Monday.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Another in DA HOUSE!:D

003..JPG

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Impressed, but disappointed as well.

I just finished listening to Side One of my newly acquired 200-gram Classic Records pressing and will say that it may be the best representation of this classic album I have heard to date.

Unfortunately...it is NOT as quiet as one would have expected a Quietx SV-P pressing to be. In fact, it is rather noisy with a significant amount of pops and clicks.

John

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's disappointing. I was hoping that you'd say that it's perfect, and I would have no qualms to leap to buying a copy too.

I've heard from many of my friends that the 180gm pressings are always better than 200gm pressings - is that your experience too?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My buddy bought the 200 and 180, so I will ask him about the 180 version. The 180gram JLH-The Healer is perfect, as are some others I have, so I would say say.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Regardless of the fact it may be noisier than what I had expected this is still (to me) one of the finest records ever made. It blows me away every time I hear it.

My room "sans" Tubular Bells
007..JPG

Enjoying the sublimeness that is "Tubular Bells". Darkness and complete immersion.
001..JPG

John

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Regardless of the fact it may be noisier than what I had expected this is still (to me) one of the finest records ever made. It blows me away every time I hear it.

John

OK John. You've got me..... I just ordered the 200gm from Acoustic Sounds and the 180gm from Elusive Disc. While searching..... I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tubular-Bells-Amazon-com-Exclusive-Oldfield/dp/B0026RCAIA

.... which I've also ordered. Call me nuts if you like.

Cheers
Gary

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing