Microsoft Is Doing Its Own Tablet. How Do You Like Them Apples?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Prior to the iPod there wasn't a lot to jump onto Apple either, at least not IMO.

Let's not turn this into a pissing content between two companies that do what do very well. I am just not a fan of people knocking down things before they are available.

I would strongly disagree. Think Apple 2 and the Lisa, ca 1982, and the first commercial computer to introduce a GUI-driven OS - and much better at that than any prior research effort; and it doesn't stop there. We are simply making predictions about how it might turn out, based on company history - absolutely nothing wrong with it, and it happens all the time. We all have the right to expect very little of some companies, and such is the case here for some of us of Microsoft.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I would strongly disagree. Think Apple 2 and the Lisa, ca 1982, and the first commercial computer to introduce a GUI-driven OS - and much better at that than any prior research effort; and it doesn't stop there. We are simply making predictions about how it might turn out, based on company history - absolutely nothing wrong with it, and it happens all the time. We all have the right to expect very little of some companies, and such is the case here for some of us of Microsoft.

If we were to follow your logic, Microsoft would virtually take over the Tablet Market or at least Tablet computers OS... True, Apple came up with the commercial GUI.. Microsoft ran with it to the extent that 90% (maybe more) of the world PC runs on Windows a GUI-based OS .. Not on Apple IOS ...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If we were to follow your logic, Microsoft would virtually take over the Tablet Market or at least Tablet computers OS... True, Apple came up with the commercial GUI.. Microsoft ran with it to the extent that 90% (maybe more) of the world PC runs on Windows a GUI-based OS .. Not on Apple IOS ...

I am not sure exactly what the logic is. The possibility that Microsoft will take over the tablet market is there; but based on its entire product gamut history and the individual circumstances and market conditions each time, it doesn't look likely. More importantly and to the point, unlike the OS business, which they dominated before anyone else did, they are entering again a field with large, clear and dominant market leaders who have gone at it for quite some time now - totally different game, and this is why the Zune, and especially the previous MSFT phone, are good analogies. Sometimes their foray into others' territory has been successful - e.g. IE vs other browsers, Xbox, et al - so the possibility is definitely there. But I, and perhaps others, are also looking at Windows 8, widely expected to be the OS running the new tablet; and Windows 8 isn't really winning people over, so far. I want to see what they have to offer in terms of innovation again this time, but I am not holding my breath either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing