Microsoft Is Doing Its Own Tablet. How Do You Like Them Apples?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Tired of losing ground to the iPad, Microsoft is poised to serve up its own entry in the suddenly booming tablet market.

After signaling for months that it would attack the market only through its traditional hardware partners, Microsoft has decided to enter the tablet business more directly.
The company isn’t talking about its effort, but Microsoft has scheduled an event Monday in Los Angeles, where it has promised a “major” announcement. AllThingsD reported earlier on Thursday that the event would center around Microsoft’s tablet strategy.
Sources say that Microsoft concluded that it needs its own tablet, with the company designing both the hardware and software in an effort to better compete against Apple’s strengths. Microsoft’s tablets may include machines running ARM-based processors as well as models running on traditional PC processors, sources said.
Online site The Wrap reported this evening that Microsoft will manufacture its own devices, something that AllThingsD sources have also heard in recent weeks.
The move could allow Microsoft to better match Apple’s tight integration, but it is also fraught with the potential for conflict. Microsoft makes most of its money from Windows and Office, and depends on an ecosystem of PC makers like Dell, HP, Acer and Lenovo to make those Windows-based machines.
Many of those same computer makers, at Microsoft’s urging, have been developing tablets running both Windows 8 and Windows RT — the version of Windows 8 designed to run on the ARM processors used in today’s phones and tablets.
It is unclear how Microsoft intends to differentiate its work from that being done by the PC makers, and just how they will respond. That said, it is unclear where PC makers will go.
They could focus more energy around Android, but Google is also in the hardware business, both directly through its Motorola acquisition and indirectly through its Nexus efforts, in which others manufacture devices largely designed and controlled by Google. The company is said to be working on a tablet, as well.
While Microsoft has always avoided making its own computers, it has experimented with a variety of approaches in other devices.
After failing to catch up to the iPod with a variety of hardware partners building products around Microsoft software, the company created the Zune. Although the Zune managed to grab the share once held by its partners, it never emerged as a serious threat to the iPod, and the hardware effort eventually fizzled.
On the phone side, Microsoft initially followed the PC approach, designing the operating system but giving hardware makers wide leeway to create their own devices. With Windows Phone 7, its latest entry, Microsoft has taken a far more hands-on approach, working more closely with fewer partners and demanding tight control over the kind of devices they can produce.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I think that they arrived late to the show, no visible differentiator from the iPad, might take a long time to build a decent number of apps - let's see....

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The more the merrier. Keeps competition on their toes both pricewise and in new features.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
While Apple's technology and product are great, fun and new, Apple's real strength now is market perception. In the deepest part of our economic downturn, every Apple store I visited was packed -- at almost any time of day. You have to get in line to give them your money. The young kids, teenagers, etc all want Apple products. They are selling computers at an every increasing rate. (at significantly higher prices than a Windows based product that is a better performer) Microsoft had their day in the sun and in my opinion, I don't care how slick their new tablet technology is, they will be hard pressed to make much of a dent in Apple's momentum. The Microsoft faithful will buy and Apple haters will buy, but short of some REALLY new, off the wall technology, I see this as a yawner. (sort of like their stores).

Just my observation

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
While Apple's technology and product are great, fun and new, Apple's real strength now is market perception. In the deepest part of our economic downturn, every Apple store I visited was packed -- at almost any time of day. You have to get in line to give them your money. The young kids, teenagers, etc all want Apple products. They are selling computers at an every increasing rate. (at significantly higher prices than a Windows based product that is a better performer) Microsoft had their day in the sun and in my opinion, I don't care how slick their new tablet technology is, they will be hard pressed to make much of a dent in Apple's momentum. The Microsoft faithful will buy and Apple haters will buy, but short of some REALLY new, off the wall technology, I see this as a yawner. (sort of like their stores).

Just my observation

As Tim said, "remember Zune"

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It'll be called the "Crash and Reboot" pad.

Advertised as, "it's time to come back to reality. Computers screw up, and you need to learn that" campaign.

Guaranteed to generate hours of intriguing frustration, anxiety, and pain for those otherwise dull moments.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
In what little I've used it, I've liked the Metro interface better than anything else I've ever used from MSFT. I'm a hard core Apple guy, NPI, but the more the merrier in terms of competition. I suspect though that part of the motive on MSFTs part in building their own isn't just integration but also the difficulty in finding hardware partners willing to invest significantly in Metro. They had to pay Nokia (and developers) a ton to support it for phones. And though not entirely connected, Nokia is halfway down the toilet. Not as deep as RIM though.

When people say Windows computers are cheaper btw, by what measure? Hardware specs? Who cares? Certainly not UI/ease of use, integration or design.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Unless I'm reading the comments wrong, I can't believe the Microsoft crapping going on! The product isn't even out....... yet the obituary is written. I'm no hardcore MS fan or Apple fan, but it seems rather premature to me to discount any new offerings in this very new market segment. Right now Apple seems to hold the Magic Wand and they have collected their fair share of iSheep to graze in the green grass, but, and this is a big "but" , they will not stay there forever. There will come a time when someone does it better than Apple.......

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There will come a time when someone does it better than Apple.......

In my opinion, the "it" is not a product. The "it" is market recognition, marketing, overall product strategy. I suspect many companies (MS, Samsung, etc) can build a product that is "better than" the iPad but I am also suggesting that won't much difference.

Will Apple stay "there" forever? Not a shot --- but I don't see the fall coming any time soon.

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
I don't know why everytime I read the name Microsoft at the beginning of an article my eyelids start to grow heavy and I yawn. It happened again with this thread. I just can't seem to get worked up about Microsoft in the hardware business. As others have noted, remember the Zune. No doubt Microsoft is highly effective developing software. Windows 7 is an amazing operating system. I would prefer to see Microsoft remain focused on software development. They have also made good penetration into the automotive industry with their Sync system. One thing is for sure, I won't be standing in any line to grab a Microsoft Tablet.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A bit early to say, no?

Maybe, but other than Office, I cant recall another true MSFT Innovation??? Or it's really not jumping out on me

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maybe, but other than Office, I cant recall another true MSFT Innovation??? Or it's really not jumping out on me

Prior to the iPod there wasn't a lot to jump onto Apple either, at least not IMO.

Let's not turn this into a pissing content between two companies that do what do very well. I am just not a fan of people knocking down things before they are available.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My bet is that neither Microsoft nor Google will unseat Apple. A company that is reasonably well positioned from a product standpoint is Samsung. TV's, Bluray players, Tablets, Cell phones, WiFi enabled refrigerators, cameras and the financial resources to try to figure out how to tie it all together. One of my daughters was employed by the Cellular division of Samsung for quite some time and they recently restructured that Division and some others with the primary intent of unseating Apple. Whether they can pull it off or not is yet to be determined.

But like someone else said, the competition will only be a benefit to us consumers.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yep! But I guess if you are Microsoft, you have to continue to try to do something to stop/slow down Apple's momentum, and this tablet is their next attempt.

Why? Apple's success in the last decade has largely been based on IOS products that work with Windows. They don't work quite as well with Windows as they do with OSX, and only a little better than Microsoft's products work with Windows :), but still, it seems to me the companies are in two very different spaces -- Apple is in portable devices and a home computer/OS designed to optimize use with those portable devices (which is, in turn, driving the sale/popularity of their computers). Microsoft is into enterprise business software and the operating system that runs that software. Do they sell some similar stuff? Sure. But they're about as competitive as Best Buy and Staples...if Staples had rapidly diminishing home and small business markets.

Which leads to an observation: Sometimes a company's strength ends up being a fatal flaw. MS operating systems and software have always been targeted to, and have long been the choice of corporate IT departments; they really haven't had much competition in this area. In general, they've been fairly open and powerful, but required a call to Support to get anything done. I can't even install a Flash update without Support. That may have avoided a lot of trouble and/or built a loyal corporate base for Microsoft and job security for IT, but it has become the Achilles heel of the whole business model. An example: Somewhere along the line, someone in the company I work for made the decision to use Sharepoint as the platform for intranet sites. I'm sure it made sense at the time, but A) It's not good software for that purpose and B) Now there are dozens of sites in the system, running on a version of Sharepoint that is 2 or 3 generations old because updating all of those sites to the newer, much better (though still pretty horrible compared to programs like Dreamweaver) would be a huge IT project requiring many hours away from more important work.

Apple would never have needed "Sharepoint support" in the first place, because it would have been intuitive enough for users to use, and updates would have been downloaded as soon as they were available, directly to user's desktops.

I marvel at the things that "can't be done" in an enterprise environment by multi-billion dollar companies. When designing collaboration areas for a new floor for our department, we asked that an associate be able to walk into the area and take over, wirelessly, so they could stream the content from their laptops to the flatscreen tvs on the wall. We got a laundry list of difficulties, excuses, extended timelines and budget extensions.

I do this in my den by simply telling my laptop to connect the the $100 device hidden behind my TV.

I don't think this is necessarily Microsoft's fault, and I don't think my company is an exception. I think this is endemic in the corporate enterprise business model; I think it's cultural. But while it's not Microsoft's fault, it's definitely Microsoft's problem. They are deeply embedded in that culture. You could make a pretty good argument saying they created it. It is, at least, their core market. And Apple is showing the end users in that market that they can accomplish more at home, for almost nothing, with almost no computer knowledge, than their IT department's can accomplish with hundreds of man-hours and tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in the enterprise. It makes the "premium" one pays for Apple hardware look like an incredible bargain.

That, I think, is Microsoft's biggest business challenge -- separating itself from the corporate IT culture of "what can't be done." And frankly? I don't think that can be done. MS' time has passed.

MHO. YMMV.

Tim

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com

MS Office wasn't a Microsoft innovation either. Word processors and spreadsheets were around for years (remember Wordstar and Visicalc?).

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
MS Office wasn't a Microsoft innovation either. Word processors and spreadsheets were around for years (remember Wordstar and Visicalc?).

And the integrated package was not an innovation, it was preceded by Lotus 123. Neither MS nor Apple are successful for their invention.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If I were MS I'd aim it (tablet) and Win phones squarely at gaming and integrating them into the Xbox network.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing