Micromega MyDac: Say Manifeek!

HamSammich

Aug 1, 2011
And Zoot Allure, and all that.

Awhile back I asked Bruce if the papery dryness and sibilance I was encountering might have something to do with the Apogee Duet 2 I was listening to my Hi-Res files through. After advising I try lotion for the papery dryness, he said, "Ehhhhhh, could be, Doc!"

Well, right you are, Bugs!

I just replaced said Duet with a MyDac and a 99 dollar piece of Schiit headphone amp. Listening through AKG 702s to 176.4 ripped SACDs. About 24 hours break-in. All I can say is Jebus! The interesting thing is nothing jumps out at you. In a very good way. Yes, there's no more vocal spit and sizzle. It was so bad on the Duet that Nat King Cole's ribbon-miked goodness sounded like Ice-Ice baby. That's gone. So are high hats that sound like steam valves. So is the chilly overlay on close-miked piano. Tonal beating still beats but the resonant collisions are merely there, not raucous and never fatal.

All the yuck vanishes. But nothing's smoothed-over. The fundaments, good and bad, remain. As do the overtones and air and all the extras. The equipment seems to bring very little additive distortion and, best of all, not much subtractive either.

Not sure if Harley said it, or someone else, but I stopped listening analytically at some point, but kept listening pleasurably. The nuts and bolts were still there if I wanted to listen in. More important, though, so was the music.

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
I have one of these dac's hooked up with a WD live streamer and it sounds very good esp hooked up to my very revealing Naim system .

For the money you cannot go wrong since the Naim dac is currently out of my price range .

vinod-david

Mar 3, 2014
India
I upgraded to MyDAC from MF VDAC2. The veil was lifted by MyDAC. What clarity, wow!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
And Zoot Allure, and all that.

Awhile back I asked Bruce if the papery dryness and sibilance I was encountering might have something to do with the Apogee Duet 2 I was listening to my Hi-Res files through. After advising I try lotion for the papery dryness, he said, "Ehhhhhh, could be, Doc!"

Well, right you are, Bugs!

I just replaced said Duet with a MyDac and a 99 dollar piece of Schiit headphone amp. Listening through AKG 702s to 176.4 ripped SACDs. About 24 hours break-in. All I can say is Jebus! The interesting thing is nothing jumps out at you. In a very good way. Yes, there's no more vocal spit and sizzle. It was so bad on the Duet that Nat King Cole's ribbon-miked goodness sounded like Ice-Ice baby. That's gone. So are high hats that sound like steam valves. So is the chilly overlay on close-miked piano. Tonal beating still beats but the resonant collisions are merely there, not raucous and never fatal.

All the yuck vanishes. But nothing's smoothed-over. The fundaments, good and bad, remain. As do the overtones and air and all the extras. The equipment seems to bring very little additive distortion and, best of all, not much subtractive either.

Not sure if Harley said it, or someone else, but I stopped listening analytically at some point, but kept listening pleasurably. The nuts and bolts were still there if I wanted to listen in. More important, though, so was the music.

Schiit's modi DAC for $99 paired with their $99 magni amp is an impressive combo. I use it at home w/ my laptop. I have the same cans as you and the SQ is very good - impressive for such little coin.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing