Michael Fremer Interview

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have you beat with dumbass mailman LP stories. Remember the time I bought an LP from a guy in England and the mailman bent it in half and shoved it in my rural mailbox?

View attachment 10464

Despair not, I think a Shure V15 could still track it.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Is the word "audiophile" a pejorative term, as MF suggests, in 2013?

In a way, anything with the suffix...-phile is subject to derision, e.g., audiophile, oenophile, etc.
I think it's because the -phile is associated with esoteric, pedantic, and occult practices, which the general poplulation conceive as unfathomable.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I have you beat with dumbass mailman LP stories. Remember the time I bought an LP from a guy in England and the mailman bent it in half and shoved it in my rural mailbox?

View attachment 10464

Oh, I'm sorry to see/hear of it, Mark :eek:
Truly, a bummer.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Sam, I'm long over it now.

Jim Treanor

Jun 30, 2013
Pacific Northwest
I'm fortunate to have a mailman who knows that vinyl is in the flattish square boxes that he occasionally delivers here and that they should neither be shoehorned into my rural mailbox nor left out on my doorstep to bake in the sun.

No arrows for Fremer here. I think he's pretty much on target in the interview and that his soundest advice was to stay well clear of obsession, which vice in my view is what renders "audiophile" pejorative.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
You DO know he had attempted to become a professional comedian in the early 80's, right?:D:D:D

He actually is a comedian. He did a lot of stand up work in Boston during the late 70's. and early 80's. He was also a DJ at WBCN radio in Boston. MF is a truley funny guy, and has done a lot for the rejuvenation of the LP audio arts. I enjoy reading his work and listening to him as well.

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
I just read the interview.I was going to read all the posts but I may do that later.
Right now i'm going to warm up my system,select some 1960's vinyl sit back SMILE AND ENJOY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing