Merging Technologies NADAC 2 and 8 Channel DACs Nearing Debut

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Beyond the Ethernet interface I wonder how different this is to the Exasound.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Beyond the Ethernet interface I wonder how different this is to the Exasound.

That's a pretty big "other than", Nyal.

There's no other consumer DAC with a multi-channel AES67 interface. I think that's a really nice thing. These DACs have way more I/O flexibility than any exa box. And there's a decent power supply too.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
That's a pretty big "other than", Nyal.

There's no other consumer DAC with a multi-channel AES67 interface. I think that's a really nice thing. These DACs have way more I/O flexibility than any exa box. And there's a decent power supply too.

What are the benefits of AES67 apart from ability to put the source computer anywhere on the network?

Is this an Exasound ++?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
The first review of the 8 Channel NADAC is in and it's a rave review from David Robinson at Positive Feedback.
Robinson says the NADAC-8 tops all prior DACs he has heard - including Playback Designs. Wow.

And he's buying the review unit too.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Congratulations to our own Philip O'Hanlon here on that one. When I was at his house a few days ago he said the first NADAC would be arriving this coming week

It will be interesting to hear the NADAC paired with the Vivids in Philip's setups.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It will be interesting to hear the NADAC paired with the Vivids in Philip's setups.

I heard the NADAC in Philip's room paired with the G1's. Some of the best sound I've heard!!

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Done some more reading on this at the NADAC website, seems like a cool technology. Particularly the 8 channel unit, as there are few options for consumer MCH DACs beyond the Exasound E28. I am curious though whether the sound will be much different / better than the E28. Merging don't provide any details on the ESS implementation, and the Exasound has what looks like to be better measurements (though not sure if noise floor and THD are really that relevant, and they only publish the E22 measurements, not the E28): http://nadac.merging.com/nadac, http://www.exasound.com/e22/e22Measurements.aspx

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Nyal,
AES67 isnt just another ethernet connection. A lot of DACs claim to be "future proof" but there really are some nice advantages to using a Ravenna network in MCH systems in larger rooms. Rooms wired for speaker wires aren't needed. There just needs to be a network connection to sync up multiple DACs and even ADCs.

I have no idea, though, how Merging will do with their ASIO driver. I hope for the best, but Merging has been dedicated to Pyramix for a long time. I don't know how the execution will be with this new standard with a multitude of softwares. I know the Merging people, like Dominque, are great people and will do whatever it takes to make it perfect. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few speed bumps at first.

I think the pricing is pretty high. But these are the rare couple of DACs without any direct consumer competitors. I hope other manufacturers step up and build more Dante, Ravenna or other AES67 gear to compete since this standard IS the future and USB is on the way out.

Done some more reading on this at the NADAC website, seems like a cool technology. Particularly the 8 channel unit, as there are few options for consumer MCH DACs beyond the Exasound E28. I am curious though whether the sound will be much different / better than the E28. Merging don't provide any details on the ESS implementation, and the Exasound has what looks like to be better measurements (though not sure if noise floor and THD are really that relevant, and they only publish the E22 measurements, not the E28): http://nadac.merging.com/nadac, http://www.exasound.com/e22/e22Measurements.aspx

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
One surprising thing, in my view, is that NADAC has ES9016 chip whereas Hapi has ES9018.
I asked Dominique - I would like channel mapping implemented in driver.
ASIO driver very stable once is setup properly, also with a good PCIe ethernet card.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
After Phillip gets the mch NADAC, I'm scheduled to get it to go against my E28. I was positively impressed hearing the stereo NADAC back in mid June in Geneva in an extended listening session. I've been using earlier Merging hardware and software for my ripping project over the past five years (Pyramix and Mykerinos card). I'll also be able to compare the NADAC against my Model Two and my consultant's Berkeley Audio Reference Dac for stereo playback.

Larry

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I heard the NADAC in Philip's room paired with the G1's. Some of the best sound I've heard!!

Thought it would be!

Was it with the Luxman DAC and Audirvana+?

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

I can imagine having been in Philip's room. NADAC in Philip's place would be something.

But I will say that the NADAC demo in David Robinson's room at The Show Newport definitely turned some heads.
It's going to a contender at the high end of the DAC market, no doubt about it.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
At the moment I'm listening to a middling Sonos system in a rental house in the Caymans. Yet, at least three times today, I've caught myself thinking of a Merging DAC.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
After Phillip gets the mch NADAC, I'm scheduled to get it to go against my E28. I was positively impressed hearing the stereo NADAC back in mid June in Geneva in an extended listening session. I've been using earlier Merging hardware and software for my ripping project over the past five years (Pyramix and Mykerinos card). I'll also be able to compare the NADAC against my Model Two and my consultant's Berkeley Audio Reference Dac for stereo playback.

Larry

I'm just starting to put some hours on the 8 Channel NADAC here. But Multichannel DSD is already impressive on the NADAC MC-8 model.
They are going to do very well with this one. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing