Mercedes-Benz TV: The SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think that's 0-100 Km/h, not mph.

Still pretty impressive for 0-62 mph. Battery/hybrid powered cars are heavy.

It has about 552 KW or about 740hp.

Top speed limited to 155 mph, but I'm sure people will override it.

About $540K USD.

It looks kind of (NOT exactly) like a mid 1990s Corvette from the side and rear.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
500 kilowatts = 670.511045 hp

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
... which is wired with MIT power cabling

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
range?

a $150K battery ;)

Let's get down to practical issues: What's that battery's range then ;-)
And what's the size of its boot - considering that you don't really transport batteries all day long including going shopping and driving your kids to flute lessons..
Or AM I missing something??

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The cars is an hybrid thus range is likely moderate to good ...maybe 200~300 miles ...
As for performance it may vary with battery level ... If battery is completely discharged I would think the performance decreases .. The car just carrying essentially dead weight.. with the extra weight of the batteries, I wonder about cornering and the likes ..

Frankly I don't get the price... Then again seems that is where everything is going .. Waiting for the reviews.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Let's get down to practical issues: What's that battery's range then ;-)
And what's the size of its boot - considering that you don't really transport batteries all day long including going shopping and driving your kids to flute lessons..
Or AM I missing something??

you're missing something ;)

my take is that anyone who can lay down $400 large for an electric car doesn't care about eco friendly and or the price of gas

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Well the car has to do something .. If it is just a status thing .. Fine .. But What does it bring on the table compared, say to an Audi R8? We'' A high tag price doesn't necessary spell success in the ultra-competitive world of cars... remember the Maybach debacle?

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
The cars is an hybrid thus range is likely moderate to good ...maybe 200~300 miles ...
As for performance it may vary with battery level ... If battery is completely discharged I would think the performance decreases .. The car just carrying essentially dead weight.. with the extra weight of the batteries, I wonder about cornering and the likes ..

Frankly I don't get the price... Then again seems that is where everything is going .. Waiting for the reviews.

..of course I am missing something, and cannot really comment, as I would never spend that amount on a thing that is A-Being me, but the fact that the driving feeling of a moderately big Mercedes is virtually identical to a very big Mercedes makes me think, why bother, if you really want a sportscar, buy yourself a very old Porsche, or a Smart, but then again I know, in these fields I just don't get it ;-) Peace.

Did you know, I run an amp on batteries, and it is darn fast: the Audio Consulting MIPA!!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Electric car motors have the advantage that they have even (high) torque over their entire operating range from zero to max rpm. They don't have an RPM vs torque curve like internal combustion engines. That gives them a real advantage at launch.

As far as the boot/trunk is concerned, most electrics I am familiar with have the batteries mounted under the passenger compartment and where the gas tank would be and have a normal trunk. Like most sports cars, this one probably also has a small trunk.

Personally, if I had a spare few hundred thousand to spend, I'd probably get a G1.2 Dragon. Among other things, I wouldn't have to worry about it being hit on the road.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing