Members' Systems

David MS

Mar 2, 2021
Alysvox System - update.
It has been just a few months since I posted my system - but there have been two major changes. First, I have a Grandmaster cartridge on the Tru-Glider, and the DS W3 Equalizer (just couldn't justify the cost of going higher). Second, I have made the jump to the New Audio Frontiers Stradivari 211 monoblocks (sorry for the reflections). Given the modest size of my room and other realities, I am close to the end of a wonderful journey, concentrating now on simply listening each evening with great pleasure, and sharing the experience with friends and guests. 71419016512__65BBABB8-95E4-4B14-853A-BC1E71C36DC9.jpeg IMG_1834.jpeg

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Alysvox System - update.
It has been just a few months since I posted my system - but there have been two major changes. First, I have a Grandmaster cartridge on the Tru-Glider, and the DS W3 Equalizer (just couldn't justify the cost of going higher). Second, I have made the jump to the New Audio Frontiers Stradivari 211 monoblocks (sorry for the reflections). Given the modest size of my room and other realities, I am close to the end of a wonderful journey, concentrating now on simply listening each evening with great pleasure, and sharing the experience with friends and guests. View attachment 116206 View attachment 116208
I love the Alsyvox way out in the room as you have them placed. Crazy layering and soundstage! Congrats, nice system. I be the vinyl and tubes sound great.

Reactions: Alrainbow

David MS

Mar 2, 2021
Many thanks - yes, I was surprised by the final placement - with just the benefits you describe:) And yes, I am deeply happy with the sound...

Reactions: Rhapsody

David MS

Mar 2, 2021
It's PERFECT!! And thank you for pointing me to your brilliant 'toons collection - I've been smiling for the last 20 minutes:)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's PERFECT!! And thank you for pointing me to your brilliant 'toons collection - I've been smiling for the last 20 minutes:)
Jim is an integral part of WBF. I look forward to his toons and each one is so satirical that laughing while eating my morning cereal and seeing his toon is always a great start for the day

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Alysvox System - update.
concentrating now on simply listening each evening with great pleasure, and sharing the experience with friends and guests. View attachment 116208
I know exactly what you mean. Hence why I haven't been so active lately on the various audio forums. Been too busy just enjoying my system when I get home from work.

Also, great system and great music selection on your table!

Nov 25, 2023
New Hampshire
Beautiful system. How do you like the Backert pre? I noticed you replaced their phono with the DS system. How would you compare them? When I heard the DS 003 my takeaway was it’s HUGE sound not to mention how quiet it is.

David MS

Mar 2, 2021
Beautiful system. How do you like the Backert pre? I noticed you replaced their phono with the DS system. How would you compare them? When I heard the DS 003 my takeaway was it’s HUGE sound not to mention how quiet it is.
Thank you very much. I was able to acquire the DS Audio Grand Master. Due to financial considerations, I first paired it with one of the much more reasonably priced DS equalizers. To be frank, I was disappointed - to the point where I wondered if I should have stayed with the truly excellent Umami/Backert combination. Then a nameless person (Dr.Vinyl) wickedly brought over the W3 equalizer - I was doubtful, but unfortunately for my wallet it wasn't close - simply more information, more musically involving, of course the lower noise floor - just a big step forward. Let me say at once that the price differential between my pre DS Audio set up and this one is (for me) very large indeed. I think Backert gear is terrific value (I have their preamp) and their phono preamp was a great match with the Umami.

Nov 25, 2023
New Hampshire
This was a very thoughtful response thank you. I agree that the 003 and energizer is initially impressive but lacks something emotionally that draws you into the music. If the higher models address this drawback I have no trouble believing in their stellar performance. Congrats on the upgrade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing