McIntosh Tour

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
A few years back I set up a tour of McIntosh for our Connecticut Audio Society. During that process I found out that Mac doesn't have or maintain a "museum" of its older, historic products. Steve Rowell of Audio Classics, about ten minutes from Mac, offered to host our group and couldn't be nicer, providing us with lunch and a tour of his business including viewing most every product Mac ever made.

The plant tour was memorable; especially the enthusiastic employees. Rather than just assemble sub-assemblies from outside sources, they do most all the work "in house" including all of their PC board assembly; chassis / cabinet / faceplate fabrication - even their own transformer winding.

At every step of the way an employee would encourage us to "come over here" and explain what he or she was doing. I couldn't have been more impressed by how proud each person was of the part they played in the process. Long live this Great, Historic, American Audio Company.

A few attendees took photos and Mike Barney assembled them on his website here:
http://sites.google.com/site/mpbarneytuners/home

Charles

Forgot - An added highlight to the tour was that Richard Modafferi was there as one of the guide's. Richard used to work for Mac and still consults with them from time to time. His specialty is/was FM tuner and speaker design (remember the MR78 and Infinite Slope Crossover). Richard invited some of us (who could stay - it was a long ride to/from CT) to his nearby home where we listened to his prototype RIMO (MR78) tuner and speakers. QUITE a day!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A few years back I set up a tour of McIntosh for our Connecticut Audio Society. During that process I found out that Mac doesn't have or maintain a "museum" of its older, historic products. Steve Rowell of Audio Classics, about ten minutes from Mac, offered to host our group and couldn't be nicer, providing us with lunch and a tour of his business including viewing most every product Mac ever made.

The plant tour was memorable; especially the enthusiastic employees. Rather than just assemble sub-assemblies from outside sources, they do most all the work "in house" including all of their PC board assembly; chassis / cabinet / faceplate fabrication - even their own transformer winding.

At every step of the way an employee would encourage us to "come over here" and explain what he or she was doing. I couldn't have been more impressed by how proud each person was of the part they played in the process. Long live this Great, Historic, American Audio Company.

A few attendees took photos and Mike Barney assembled them on his website here:
http://sites.google.com/site/mpbarneytuners/home

Charles

Forgot - An added highlight to the tour was that Richard Modafferi was there as one of the guide's. Richard used to work for Mac and still consults with them from time to time. His specialty is/was FM tuner and speaker design (remember the MR78 and Infinite Slope Crossover). Richard invited some of us (who could stay - it was a long ride to/from CT) to his nearby home where we listened to his prototype RIMO (MR78) tuner and speakers. QUITE a day!

Ultra cool! Thanks for posting the pics Charlie!

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I took a similar tour of Audio Classics and McIntosh about 2 years ago with a group of people. It was a fantastic time, and if you ever get a chance to go don't miss out.

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
I have never been through the tour of McIntosh even though I live "down the road" from Binghamtom and have friends that work there. I am about 5 minutes from Audio Classics and will agree Steve and the crew are great people. Did everyone sign the door while you were there. They are probably the largest Mac dealer in the world.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing