Marriage Story / Trailer / American Comedy-Drama / Scarlett Johansson & Adam Driver

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
'Marriage Story' is interesting for the fact that it is also a Netflix presentation (I almost watched it last night but something else came up). So like 'The Irishman' (Netflix) it ranked high so far on the list of Oscar's mentions. It's a Comedy/Drama ...
• Rotten Tomatoes score = 97%
• Metacritic score = 94%
? MRQE overall score = 89 (just starting to register ...)

* This year could be another big year for Netflix, but this time with TWO motion pictures.
There are other films too from Netflix, and including some documentaries, but both Marriage Story (and 'The Irishman') rank high on the list of award nominations, prizes, and Oscar contenders.

I'll be watching it soon, if not tonight ...
Plus, Scarlett Johanssen ('Black Widow') she's in it, and Adam Driver (The Report and BlacKkKlansman); two big Hollywood (highly cashable) stars.
Scarlett I believe is top highly paid female actress today.

We all know that she plays Black Widow in the Avengers and in her own upcoming solo Black Widow, which by the way with rumors of billion dollar profitable movie.
And why not, Marvel flicks are big in Hollywood, and so is Batman and Joker.

Marriage Story takes a totally different approach, more down-to-earth shall we say ...
And speaking of Scarlett, I liked her in A Love Song for Bobby Long ... a personal favorite film.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Then it's only short live all the publicity stunts ... most likely a Netflix strategy?
And/or those professional movie critics are all wrong.

I know couple experts on that film genre; I'll tell them to watch it and see what they think.
I'll do the same myself after seeing it ...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Then it's only short live all the publicity stunts ... most likely a Netflix strategy?
And/or those professional movie critics are all wrong.

I know couple experts on that film genre; I'll tell them to watch it and see what they think.
I'll do the same myself after seeing it ...

I watched the basketball game upstairs as they watched the movie. Afterwards my wife came upstairs and said the movie was a stinker. She said the movie was bazar with a lot of scenes that she said she could not explain why they were in the movie. Perhaps it was poor editing. When it comes to chick flicks my wife and daughter are my barometers as to a film's merit. I'm just saying that neither liked it

The critics aren't always right Bob. Look what they said last year about Roma :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I know, and I've read a little more about it this past afternoon, and opinions seem to vary about Marriage Story. It's real those high scores but when it comes to major nominations that's where the divisions come.

Somehow the trailer doesn't turn me on...it feels like a soap opera. Perhaps those film critics are more the soap opera type?

Anyway if I hear of a better film for your wife and daughter I'll let you know...
I too know someone who's a good barometer for more family oriented films.

* Roma? Did it win three Oscars last year...it sure did. The Irishman should do the same this year.

Steve Williams

* Roma? Did it win three Oscars last year...it sure did. The Irishman should do the same this year.

I'm just yanking your chain Bob. There will come a time when a Netflix movie wins Best Picture. For me, with Roma last year, and The Irishman this year, as good as they are, IMHO they weren't deserving of Best Picture. Roma deserved the awards it won

Steve Williams

I have no idea how good or bad this movie starting next Friday could be but it might be the cure to Marriage Story?

This film is completely unrelated to A Marriage Story but is based once again around Roger Ayles and Fox News and Megan Kelly. I thought the Mini Series "The Loudest Voice" was there Best Dramatic miniseries this year and Russell Crowe's portrayal of Roger Ayles was every bit as good as Joaquin Phoenix in Joker. My vote for the Dramatic Role in a miniseries will go to Russell Crowe

Bombshell is a side story of The Loudest Voice

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm just yanking your chain Bob. There will come a time when a Netflix movie wins Best Picture. For me, with Roma last year, and The Irishman this year, as good as they are, IMHO they weren't deserving of Best Picture. Roma deserved the awards it won

I knew that...yanking my chain.

Movies are like music, some like them just right. You seem to have a good barometer indeed...wife and daughter...they are precious assets, not just for movies.

* I give Green Book, Roma, Cold War, Joker, The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood, ...their just due. Last night I did not watch Marriage Story, something else came up ...
I'm in no rush for Marriage Story, I'm in no rush for anything.

One thing is for sure; we are in the race to the Oscars because December and January are two big months of film (doc, animation, shorts, etc.) awards and nominations; it already started and it won't stop now till February 9, 2020 (two months from now) just before Valentine.

I admit, last year was very special...two Black and White films with wins and wings and winds.
I'm big on B&W films, very. And they happened to be great films too, artistic and touching the heart. ...Green Book too, in color.

This year, no B&W, but all in colors.
And I mentioned previoulsly some similarity between The Irishman this year and Green Book last year...a road trip with a chauffeur associated to the mob.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I wasn't particularly going to watch Marriage Story last night but I just did. I thought it would give me a better handle in the state of the cultural arts of our film industry (strictly confidentially on ermotions, and performances all across the movie spectrum...actors, decor sets, locales, storyline, music score, music tunes, makeups, wardrobes, camera angles and focus, high dynamic range, colors accuracy, natural elements mixed with special effects, ...brief everything that breathe in films and beyond).

There are few approaches I could take, but the best one is what's inside the viewer experience, in this case here, me.

After half hour into it I said inside...this is boring I'm not sure if I can handle more ... (the film is two hours and seventeen minutes long ... take out the rolling credits ... no don't, the music is always best during the end rolling credits...generally often).

Well, after reaching the one hour barrier I was in the ride, right inside of it with Adam, Scarlett, Laura, Ray, Alan, Merritt, Julie, Azhy, ... the complete enchilada and the story resolving around a marriage in divorce stage between NY and LA.

There were boring parts, there were funny parts, there were acting parts, there were controlled parts (no one got hurt, no shots fired). I like the court part, the evaluation part.

On it's own (without comparing with other films) ...
Overall: 65

You know...a number (rating movie score) doesn't mean dic.
Because it has zero value for two different evaluators (film readers).

Like I said, I could have approached it differently and it would have been as valid.
The best approach is the one we feel inside and based on our knowledge and own life's experiences and beliefs. After all we are still humans, not yet fully Artificial Intelligence controlled robots. :)

Last word: Without giving it a shot you'll never truly know (same exact thing with everything else in life). And what one person's view is is another's different perspective ...

For me personally, this flick won't get an Oscar for Best Picture, for Best Director, for Best Screenplay, for Best Actor, for Best Actress, ...it's Best as a TV Soap Opera Oscar winner.
Do they have a category like that @ the Academy Awards? If not just forget it and watch it for what it is...a TV soap opera show/movie. It lacks everything that makes life more fun to enjoy.
It's for soap opera lovers and you can't take that away from them.

And that, is what I truly feel this movie brought to me @ my own table (the book of dreams in movie-land, with a bar of bath soap).
* The evaluating lady (Martha Kelly) ... was interesting to watch interacting with Adam.
And @ the end of that evaluation period, Adam gave her a good dose of "adrenaline pumping". Lol

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In case some don't know; in my film score book 65 is a recommended viewing.
Marriage Story received Six Golden Globes Nominations, the most than anyone else.
The Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood received five each, Joker four.

So, as you can see film opinions vary; the viewers (us) aren't always right.
Vice versa sometimes with the professional movie critics ...
We are no pros here, we are simple movie aficionados.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
By the way, Adam Driver's performance was good but nowhere good as Joaquin Phoenix.
So for Best Actor (Oscar) forget Adam, it's all Joaquin.

Also, two completely different type of movies. Because Adam Driver, let's not forget, is Kylo Ren - The only son of original Star Wars trilogy characters Han Solo and Leia Organa. Though trained by his uncle Luke Skywalker as a Jedi, he has been seduced to the dark side of the Force by Supreme Leader Snoke and aspires to be as powerful as his grandfather, Darth Vader. A dark warrior strong with the Force, Kylo Ren commands First Order missions with a temper as fiery as his unconventional lightsaber. As a leader of the First Order and a student of Supreme Leader Snoke, he seeks to destroy the New Republic, the Resistance and the legacy of the Jedi.

Marriage Story is no Star Wars Story. It better resonates with more familial chords closer to home; a young working couple with their young son coping with the nasties of a divorce. They handled it rather well all things considered. It helps to have support from familly and friends; there are fun moments.

Anything @ and above 65 is worth giving a viewing in my film book.

Your wife and daughter hated it. I understand as I've said...a soap opera style. And I too am not a TV soap opera type movie aficionado, to the exact opposite.
I would like to ask two of my close friends for their own opinion, but I decided not to mention to them as their oldest son is going through a divorce right now and things are not in the best Christmas spirit one could hope for.

True that I was not only being polite but also completely honest.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Watched Marriage Story on Netflix over the weekend.

Very sad story making me very happy that I have never gone through a divorce.

Definitely not fun to watch but I thought it was a good movie.

I read that you shouldn't watch it with your spouse so we watched it separately. I didn't realize she was watching it in another room just a few minutes behind me. We gave each other big hugs after that movie.

First I ever heard of Adam Driver was Star Wars. I thought he'd get trapped in that role. However, he's proven to be quite talented in number of different roles.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
"Scarlett I believe is top highly paid female actress today."

Don't forget about Jennifer Lawrence...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Marriage Story is in a different league from other nominated Academy films.
To me it's more a TV film than a big screen one. Here it's totally appropriate to be a Netflix flick.
And there's nothing magic in it, except for a funny scene or two.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing