Manufacturers forced to stop SACD players production

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
Hard to tell from this brief description. It could be just a regular SACD drive housed in an aluminum case.

The differences between a regular SACD drive and the T+A transport mechanism go beyond the aluminum case.

I wonder how it compares to Esoteric's VOSP drives (they don't look very massive themselves, do they?) ...

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I just got an email from Bruno Ginard - the guy behind Vermeer Audio (ressurected Audio Aero). They have just launched their Model Two DAC - which is an evolution of Lafontaine DAC and soon will launch the One DAC - which will be an evolution of LaSource.

He said that they were not going to have CD players in their range, as it became impossible to find a high end SACD drive in OEM, since Esoteric had stopped the distribution of their OEM drives.

This basicly confirms what people from dCS were saying.

So I should rephrase the origoinal title to:

Manufacturers using Esoteric SACD drives forced to stop SACD players production.

I wonder, if Esoteric just wanted to get rid of their competition, or maybe they are running low on Sony chips and decided to keep the remaining stock for their own players. Afterall - if they stop SACD players production, they may equally well close their doors.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I wonder, if Esoteric just wanted to get rid of their competition, or maybe they are running low on Sony chips and decided to keep the remaining stock for their own players. Afterall - if they stop SACD players production, they may equally well close their doors.

Hiro just reported that Esoteric has announced two new SACD players in their product line. So Esoteric continues to make SACD players and introduce new ones.
As for Sony and other companies, the MediaTek chip is available and is commonly used in SACD players these days. So there will be SACD players - at affordable prices (Sony, Oppo, etc.) and high prices (Esoteric). :)

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Hiro just reported that Esoteric has announced two new SACD players in their product line. So Esoteric continues to make SACD players and introduce new ones.
As for Sony and other companies, the MediaTek chip is available and is commonly used in SACD players these days. So there will be SACD players - at affordable prices (Sony, Oppo, etc.) and high prices (Esoteric). :)

You misread that, Hiro reported that Esoteric has announced two new SACD's.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In the meantime, Esoteric announced two new SACDs today... http://www.esoteric.jp/indexe.html

One would have to wonder why they continue to churn out all these SACDs if their all SACD/CD transports are all gone.

You misread that, Hiro reported that Esoteric has announced two new SACD's.

I went to the link and it seemed the K-05 and K-07 SACD players now have an 'X' designation and a "New!" label next to them...so now the K-05X and K-07X? I know next to zilch about Esoteric...maybe thats what he was referring to?

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/sacdp/indexe.html

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

That may well be true, but just think how many manufacturers will be forced out of SACD business: dCS, Orpheus, CH Precision, Soulution, Vermeer Audio (ex. Audio Aero), Playback Designs, EMM ... all the good stuff will be gone.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I went to the link and it seemed the K-05 and K-07 SACD players now have an 'X' designation and a "New!" label next to them...so now the K-05X and K-07X? I know next to zilch about Esoteric...maybe thats what he was referring to?

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/sacdp/indexe.html

Think he was referring to these;

What's New

2015/5/21
Super Audio CD/CD hybrid Collection;
Beethoven: Violin Sonatas, no. 9 op.47 "Kreutzer" - no. 5 op. 24 "Spring"

2015/5/21
Schubert: Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 114 D. 667 "The Trout"
Fantasy in C major, Op. 15 D.760 "Wanderer"

The 'X' designation news dates from march.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Think he was referring to these;

What's New

2015/5/21
Beethoven: Violin Sonatas, no. 9 op.47 "Kreutzer" - no. 5 op. 24 "Spring"

2015/5/21
Schubert: Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 114 D. 667 "The Trout"
Fantasy in C major, Op. 15 D.760 "Wanderer"

The 'X' designation news dates from march.

Thanks...cool, i did not see those...i have Estoeric's Remastered Mahler 5th - Barbirolli...a mind blowingly good CD! I may look into these! Thanks! ;)

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Thanks...cool, i did not see those...i have Estoeric's Remastered Mahler 5th - Barbirolli...a mind blowingly good CD! I may look into these! Thanks! ;)

You really need to get that SACD-player you've been thinking about for so long to hear it's full glorious sound :cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You really need to get that SACD-player you've been thinking about for so long to hear it's full glorious sound :cool:

perhaps...but not for the paltry number of SACDs i own...out of nearly 2,000 silver discs, maybe 15% are SACD?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing