Manley Mid-Frequency EQ Device

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anybody ever experimented with this tube EQ device?

Why would this equalizer need to use negative feedback? To reduce whatever distortion is created by the built-in tube amplifier which offsets line level signal loss through the passive EQ?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I wonder if this would be more sonically transparent and less sonically deleterious to spacial information and dynamics (per TMallin's report) than the Schitt Loki Max?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I have tried neither, so cannot comment. I have used studio eq's a fair bit in past endeavors.

Both eq's use inductors in the filter section so a reasonable analogy to more common audiophile gear would be phono pre's using LCR topology for that eq function.

In the end it's down to who builds a better preamp, just like with a phono stage.

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
Has anybody ever experimented with this tube EQ device?

Why would this equalizer need to use negative feedback? To reduce whatever distortion is created by the built-in tube amplifier which offsets line level signal loss through the passive EQ?
Its her take of the Pulse Pultec MEQ. Theses clones are designed with the differential negative feedback circuit. where the feedback winding sets up a constant current to keep the input stage in differential mode. This of course, was engineered long ago before semiconductor ccs circuits in 1953.

A lot of engineers use this one and the EPQ-1a clones in bypass just to add air to mixes with vintage tubes. Some bring them into me to change a few parts out to add more mid presence to the air effect the way they use it.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A lot of engineers use this one and the EPQ-1a clones in bypass just to add air to mixes with vintage tubes.
Brings up a good question. In mastering studios there are eq's used to gently shape sound, mostly by virtue of how the device sounds when inserted in the chain with minimal eq inputs. Then there are the eqs they use to fix problems, implementing larger and more focused frequency shaping. Which task do you have in mind Ron?
I wonder if this would be more sonically transparent and less sonically deleterious to spacial information and dynamics (per TMallin's report) than the Schitt Loki Max?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing