'Malletoba Spank'--reference cut

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
i crated my MM3's last week and they were picked up yesterday and are on the way to a new home in Georgia.

yes; my batteries (after 6 years) are beyond dead, so the dart pre is winging it's way to Switzerland as we speak for a complete inspection, new batteries, and an upgrade to the charging system. since i'm between speaker systems i figured i should do it now. i'll have it back in a few weeks. so no Lp listening until then unless i move my King Cello over and use that into a headphone amp. which i may try as the new Lps are stacking up.

I remember reading one of your posts about headphones. You said you aquired the new Stax 009. You also had a Blue Hawaii SE amp on the way. I listened to this combo at the last RMAF and it was outstanding. So I guess you won't be suffering too much.:D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
i crated my MM3's last week and they were picked up yesterday and are on the way to a new home in Georgia.

yes; my batteries (after 6 years) are beyond dead, so the dart pre is winging it's way to Switzerland as we speak for a complete inspection, new batteries, and an upgrade to the charging system. since i'm between speaker systems i figured i should do it now. i'll have it back in a few weeks. so no Lp listening until then unless i move my King Cello over and use that into a headphone amp. which i may try as the new Lps are stacking up.

*sheesh!* how to live without music? Want to borrow a pair of Genesis? I've a pair that Bruce had between his Wilsons and Evolution Acoustics, and Joe borrowed after he sold his MAXX2 and waiting for the big Genesis. All I ask is that you pick them up and send them back when you're done.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Remember, earlier in this thread how i described the problem i had with various 200g pressings, including Classic and Org? I had used the term 'stitching' to describe a sort of mistracking sound- almost like the record had been 'stitched' in a way that created a tracking distortion? Well, it is apparently a term of art. Guess what i found, in of all places, the Classic Records Blog in a relatively old entry:

... Classic Records has pressed the vast majority of our LP releases and re-releases on our Super Vinyl Profile (SV-P) with varying degrees of success. While our efforts to replicate the original Blue Note "non-groove guard" profile were immediately successful, the decision to extend using the non-groove guard Super Vinyl Profile to "all" subsequent Classic Records releases immediately lead to problems which we have battled with some success ever since. We first had real issues trying to press STEREO records where we encountered both "stitching" and/or "non-fill". "Stitching" is a situation where a portion of a record groove is torn or damaged during the release portion of the record pressing cycle when the press "opens up". Stitching is often a more prevalent issue when pressing heavy -weight records and can be solved using press adjustments or in some cases by using a different vinyl formulation that is either stiffer or softer depending on the circumstances. "Non-fill" is, as the name suggests a situation where the molten vinyl does not fill all the voids in between the grooves of a stamper. Although not always the case, often non-fill occurs nearer the outer diameter of a pressing and is usually in an area where the music transitions between loud and soft. Modern record presses have a number of adjustments that most often enable the press operator to "adjust out" the non-fill by adjusting the steam temperature and duration of the cycle along with other adjustments.....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Remember, earlier in this thread how i described the problem i had with various 200g pressings, including Classic and Org? I had used the term 'stitching' to describe a sort of mistracking sound- almost like the record had been 'stitched' in a way that created a tracking distortion? Well, it is apparently a term of art. Guess what i found, in of all places, the Classic Records Blog in a relatively old entry:

... Classic Records has pressed the vast majority of our LP releases and re-releases on our Super Vinyl Profile (SV-P) with varying degrees of success. While our efforts to replicate the original Blue Note "non-groove guard" profile were immediately successful, the decision to extend using the non-groove guard Super Vinyl Profile to "all" subsequent Classic Records releases immediately lead to problems which we have battled with some success ever since. We first had real issues trying to press STEREO records where we encountered both "stitching" and/or "non-fill". "Stitching" is a situation where a portion of a record groove is torn or damaged during the release portion of the record pressing cycle when the press "opens up". Stitching is often a more prevalent issue when pressing heavy -weight records and can be solved using press adjustments or in some cases by using a different vinyl formulation that is either stiffer or softer depending on the circumstances. "Non-fill" is, as the name suggests a situation where the molten vinyl does not fill all the voids in between the grooves of a stamper. Although not always the case, often non-fill occurs nearer the outer diameter of a pressing and is usually in an area where the music transitions between loud and soft. Modern record presses have a number of adjustments that most often enable the press operator to "adjust out" the non-fill by adjusting the steam temperature and duration of the cycle along with other adjustments.....

Guess they didn't read their own literature :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What's interesting though is that the problems were apparently inconsistent- i have some of the Norah Jone's ones, which while not 45, are, i believe 200g (they certainly look and feel heavy) and they sound fine (although I have had mixed feelings about her as a recording artist, the records themselves are impressive, don't you think?); ditto, Classic's 33.3 reissue of Kind of Blue (which I'm listening to now) sounds great- it's also a heavy record, and I can only imagine the 45 rpm verisons would be killer. Kinda sad, really. I guess Chad is the new 800 lb gorilla. If you had asked me to predict that when i used to wake him up over the phone to get him to send me records, I woulda never thunk it.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
What's interesting though is that the problems were apparently inconsistent- i have some of the Norah Jone's ones, which while not 45, are, i believe 200g (they certainly look and feel heavy) and they sound fine (although I have had mixed feelings about her as a recording artist, the records themselves are impressive, don't you think?); ditto, Classic's 33.3 reissue of Kind of Blue (which I'm listening to now) sounds great- it's also a heavy record, and I can only imagine the 45 rpm verisons would be killer. Kinda sad, really. I guess Chad is the new 800 lb gorilla. If you had asked me to predict that when i used to wake him up over the phone to get him to send me records, I woulda never thunk it.

It sucks. I have the same Norah Jones album and it has issues. My Kind of Blue is perfect though. It seems like its just the luck of the draw.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I suspect some of the issue was trying to cram those extra 20 gms in the press and having it spread evenly. Also, it seems that keeping a consistent temp in the press was also an issue.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I suspect some of the issue was trying to cram those extra 20 gms in the press and having it spread evenly. Also, it seems that keeping a consistent temp in the press was also an issue.

I wonder if that is why while Tea for the Tillerman is marketed as 200gm, a couple of WBForumers weighed in at 180g.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I wonder if that is why while Tea for the Tillerman is marketed as 200gm, a couple of WBForumers weighed in at 180g.

Gary-I was referring to Classic Record's pressing issues, not Chads. Did you weight your TFTT? Maybe their scale was off? Were they using their old pot scale :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
*sheesh!* how to live without music? Want to borrow a pair of Genesis? I've a pair that Bruce had between his Wilsons and Evolution Acoustics, and Joe borrowed after he sold his MAXX2 and waiting for the big Genesis. All I ask is that you pick them up and send them back when you're done.

Gary,

many thanks for the offer of the use of the Genesis....a very nice gesture.

Jonathan did loan me a pair of Von Schweikert Unifield 3's until my MM7's are complete, which are nice and make good music. at the moment i have no preamp, so that is the issue for 2-3 weeks likely. and i'll watch movies, do yard work, watch the Tour de France, and read books. July is as good a month as any to try and survive without music. finally a little sunshine in the Mountains.

somehow i'll muddle thru.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Another example of why the Mafia was actually a benefit to society, if you follow my drift....

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary-I was referring to Classic Record's pressing issues, not Chads. Did you weight your TFTT? Maybe their scale was off? Were they using their old pot scale :)

Hi Myles, I used a calibrated scale. We use it for weighing the stuffing for speaker cabinets so it has to be accurate.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

many thanks for the offer of the use of the Genesis....a very nice gesture.

Jonathan did loan me a pair of Von Schweikert Unifield 3's until my MM7's are complete, which are nice and make good music. at the moment i have no preamp, so that is the issue for 2-3 weeks likely. and i'll watch movies, do yard work, watch the Tour de France, and read books. July is as good a month as any to try and survive without music. finally a little sunshine in the Mountains.

somehow i'll muddle thru.

If the weather keeps up like today, it will be nice to be outdoors :) The Unifield 3's would be a nice substitute in the meantime. Glad that Jonathan didn't leave you without speakers.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles, I used a calibrated scale. We use it for weighing the stuffing for speaker cabinets so it has to be accurate.

OK :)

You gotta admit the LP coming in a t 180 g is weird???

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I suspect that some of the so called 200g LPs I have are actually 180g as well. They just don't feel that heavy.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, it was. I recall someone else on this forum weighing it with a postal scale and it was also around 180gm.

Hmmm...did they charge us shipping fees for a 200 or 180 g record :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I suspect that some of the so called 200g LPs I have are actually 180g as well. They just don't feel that heavy.

I've noticed the same on some 180g pressings and I wish I could remember a specific title, but I can't. This has my curiosity up and I think I might have to buy a scale of some kind. Would a foodscale work?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Actually has caused my OCD to awake from its slumber :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've noticed the same on some 180g pressings and I wish I could remember a specific title, but I can't. This has my curiosity up and I think I might have to buy a scale of some kind. Would a foodscale work?

A digital food scale would work for satisfying your curiosity. To be really accurate, you'll want a calibrated scale accurate to 0.1g.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=jennings+digital+scale

To weigh LP's - get one with a 600g limit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing