Making "app" creation an everyday event

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have yet to see any effort like this really succeed but Google may change that curse:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_15501842?nclick_check=1

"By Steve Lohr
New York Times
Posted: 07/12/2010 09:05:41 PM PDT
Updated: 07/12/2010 10:20:45 PM PDT

Google is bringing Android software development to the masses.
The company will offer a software tool, starting Monday, that is intended to make it easy for people to write applications for its Android smartphones.

The free software, called Google App Inventor for Android (http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/), has been under development for a year. User testing has been done mainly in schools with groups that included sixth-graders, high school girls, nursing students and university undergraduates who are not computer science majors.

The thinking behind the initiative, Google said, is that as cell phones increasingly become the computers that people rely on most, users should be able to make applications themselves.
"The goal is to enable people to become creators, not just consumers, in this mobile world," said Harold Abelson, a computer scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who is on sabbatical at Google and led the project.

The project is a further sign that Google is betting that its strategy of opening up its technology to all kinds of developers will eventually give it the upper hand in the smartphone software market. Its leading rival, Apple, takes a more tightly managed approach to application development for the iPhone, controlling the software and vetting the programs available.

Abelson is a longtime proponent of making intellectual and scientific resources more open. He is a founding director of the Free Software Foundation, Public Knowledge and the Creative Commons, and he helped initiate MIT's OpenCourseWare program, which offers free online course materials.

The Google tool, of course, works only for phones running Android software. A sign-up with a Google Gmail account is required. The tool is Web-based except for a small software download that automatically syncs the programs created on a personal computer, connected to the application inventor website, with an Android smartphone. When making programs, the phone must be connected to a computer with a USB link."

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Great find, Amir. I'm going to forward your post with the link to my teenage son and daughter.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Apple has a similar developer program wherein anyone can do exactly what you said Google is doing.

my son became an Apple developer for OS4 for a $100 fee and got all of the beta versions of OS4 as well as templates for app development.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Apple has a similar developer program wherein anyone can do exactly what you said Google is doing.

my son became an Apple developer for OS4 for a $100 fee and got all of the beta versions of OS4 as well as templates for app development.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's different Steve. At least I think it is based on your post. Google as with other phone platforms has a normal development package. What is different about this announcement is that you do not need to understand programming to create applications and hence the reference to kids. This is a new set of tools to enable far more people to write apps than select few that understand computers and how to program them.

Maybe Apple also has such a platform and if you give me a pointer I go and research it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing