Magico S7 on the website

I heard the S7 yesterday briefly here in Munich driven by Constellation electronics, system sounded v relaxed & musical. Irv Gross was at the helm, playing digital files. Certainly worth checking out. Retail expected to be $65k.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I heard the S7 yesterday briefly here in Munich driven by Constellation electronics, system sounded v relaxed & musical. Irv Gross was at the helm, playing digital files. Certainly worth checking out. Retail expected to be $65k.

I would second that, wholeheartedly. I heard it on two occasions during the show and liked immensely what I was hearing. Thanks also in part to those superb constellation amps, the system had unfettered bass response that was top drawer.

Thx

Sujay

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Philip,
This puts them squarely in the category of direct competitors to the Vivid G1. Any observations on the sonic differences between the two? (It's OK if your comments are biased!!). BTW, although we've seen hundreds of pics now from Munich, there has been little mention of the sound. In particular I'm curious how the G2's sounded with the CH Swiss electronics. Any comments would be appreciated.
Marty
Marty

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Sounded good . Preferred it to the Q7 plus Soulution setup !

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
In fact I mentioned this in passing to Alon who, surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly) I didn't find in the Soulution room on both days that I went to listen to the S7s......

Cheers

Sujay

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Rumor has it the S7 is considerably better than the [amazing] Q3; will be an interesting comparison

CharlesL

Jun 3, 2014
Rumor has it the S7 is considerably better than the [amazing] Q3; will be an interesting comparison

Very interesting but I wouldn't be too surprised. afterall the S7 is more expensive and larger, with newer technologies.

Last week, A friend who is a user of Q3 invited me to an audition of the Constellation Centaur at the dealer's show room. The speaker was Q3 and we tried the Centaur and the "new" Inspiration (both stereo version). Front was dCS Vivaldi stack and Virgo II. Surprisingly, both of us preferred the Inspiration, for being slightly more transparent with a better articulated and seemingly more weighty bass. My friend is planning to go again to listen more critically. I guess the Centaur mono blocks used at Munich is the new MkII version (?)

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Philip,
This puts them squarely in the category of direct competitors to the Vivid G1. Any observations on the sonic differences between the two? (It's OK if your comments are biased!!). BTW, although we've seen hundreds of pics now from Munich, there has been little mention of the sound. In particular I'm curious how the G2's sounded with the CH Swiss electronics. Any comments would be appreciated.
Marty
Marty
Hi Marty,
just posted yesterday,
Adding comment I can say which the system was very balanced and harmonic with an impressive easy management in the bass region.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-End-Show-2015&p=317351&viewfull=1#post317351

Philip,
Marty
Marty

Marty,

Please take my biased opinion for what its worth. I am on my second pair of Giya G1, been listening to them continuously for the past seven years. The Giya speakers in general are considerably faster than the Magicos and the Wikson MAXX that they replaced. While the S7 has pretty decent bass, its not as well defined & articulate as the Giya G1 (which is world class, IMHO). Due to the fact that all the Vivid drivers are made from the same material (aluminium / magnesium alloy), all are ultra low distortion driven by an over sized motor / magnet, these are the most coherent speaker systems from top to bottom; utterly seamless. The S7 has better integrated bass than the Q5 and shares Magico's precise sound, albeit considerably sweeter.

If the G1 is too large for your listening space, you might consider the G2 or even G3; the smaller speakers have less bass, don't play as deep nor have as explosive dynamics but still offer the same speed, precision & mid-range clarity. Its a testament to the remarkable design that Laurence Dickie was able to scale the original design four times

There is no wrong choice, both Magico & Vivid produce fine speakers; the ideal would be to hear both in your own listening room, but given the problem with logistics etc, normally impractical. At least try & evaluate both speaker systems with the same electronics & cables. Bring your own music with you to the auditions. In the end, it really depends on which speaker system cries out to your soul & adds magic to your favourite music. You've made the right decision when you find yourself staying up late at night, revisiting your old music collection, exploring old treasures & unearthing minutiae that you've never heard before.

Please keep us updated on your quest.

cheers
Philip

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Marty,

Please take my biased opinion for what its worth. I am on my second pair of Giya G1, been listening to them continuously for the past seven years. The Giya speakers in general are considerably faster than the Magicos and the Wikson MAXX that they replaced. While the S7 has pretty decent bass, its not as well defined & articulate as the Giya G1 (which is world class, IMHO). Due to the fact that all the Vivid drivers are made from the same material (aluminium / magnesium alloy), all are ultra low distortion driven by an over sized motor / magnet, these are the most coherent speaker systems from top to bottom; utterly seamless. The S7 has better integrated bass than the Q5 and shares Magico's precise sound, albeit considerably sweeter.

If the G1 is too large for your listening space, you might consider the G2 or even G3; the smaller speakers have less bass, don't play as deep nor have as explosive dynamics but still offer the same speed, precision & mid-range clarity. Its a testament to the remarkable design that Laurence Dickie was able to scale the original design four times

There is no wrong choice, both Magico & Vivid produce fine speakers; the ideal would be to hear both in your own listening room, but given the problem with logistics etc, normally impractical. At least try & evaluate both speaker systems with the same electronics & cables. Bring your own music with you to the auditions. In the end, it really depends on which speaker system cries out to your soul & adds magic to your favourite music. You've made the right decision when you find yourself staying up late at night, revisiting your old music collection, exploring old treasures & unearthing minutiae that you've never heard before.

cheers
Philip

find it weird to see a vivid distributor posting why vivid speakers are much better than Magico or Wilson. Not sure this brings anything to the discussion!

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Marty,

cheers
Philip

I agree with some of your findings, I think the Vivid are extremely fast and refine. They sounded great in Munich this year. I do not find their bass to be as coherent as the Magico bass, and I also find the Vivid to be slightly “plastic” sounding. Similar to the type of coloration you get from electrostatic membrane. Just for the record, as low coloration as the Vivid drivers are, they are not quite as low as the Magico (see SSG measurements liberty). Overall, a great speakers indeed, but I think that the new S7 will be hard to beat at $60K.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing