Magico S1 definitely a special speaker

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well I have the pleasure of Magico S1 speakers here at home for next 6 days (installed yesterday) and I have to say these are pretty special speakers.
I appreciate for some the price and capability in terms of dynamics/bass compared to large 3-way designs raises questions, but approaching this specifically from a very high quality 2-way speaker for a small-medium room (my room is 8m by 6m) it does redefine high-end in a similar way the Devialet did IMO.
What is interesting is that my preference has always been for speakers such as Sonus Faber, but the S1 is definitely superior from a resolution-transparency perspective and at the same time maintains that emotional connection to the music (which I love Sonus Faber for).

If I was to start in this hobby from scratch, I think my view would be to strongly recommend friends to purchase a Magico S1 and then have fun with different amps/source/cables because I feel this speaker clearly shows differences and without any aberrations, and unlike say some of the higher model Magico speakers is still forgiving as I can enjoy all my music from classical to pop and rock (ok still to try the cruddy Bat out of Hell album but will do next :) ).
If the album has a rich-warm sound it comes through, if lean shows that, if slightly veiled again this is presented, euphonic-lush harmonics,etc and more so than I have found in other speakers at this price point or lower.

I can see this being a big seller in same way the Devialet was, and in fact I would say the two together would be a stunning combination in terms of a good priced high end system offering reference neutrality-resolution without being fatiguing.

For me it matches perfectly with my Dartzeel 8550 and MBL C31 CD player (slight analogue-warm sound), listening using Crystal Cable Ultras speaker cable and XLR interconnects.
I think I will phone the dealer on Monday to put an order for these speakers :)
This speaker is definitely going to receive similar rave reviews and statements as the Devialet did IMO.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Orb-How much?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The price for the pessimistic will be what will generate a lot of forum activity :)
UK is much more eye watering than North America; over here retail price is £13,900 for the basic colours, and what is totally unjustifiable is I think price is around £17,500ish for the special colours.

The quality-performance of the sound and build it is well priced at £13,900 IMO and does set a benchmark, at least in North America it is cheaper.

Oh what some may not be happy with though, it does not look like an expensive high end speaker in comparison to say Sonus Faber,etc due to the external skin is one piece aluminium that does not really stand out in terms of looks (build quality is exceptional as usual for Magico) but this does not bother me tbh.
Cheers
Orb

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The only thing that is really is important is that you are happy with them. Congratulations.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Now downside is waiting time, think it is 2-3 month period for the nice standard dark colours.
But hey a surprise to move from Sonus Faber to Magico, which may show it will fit with a lot more listeners while maintaining that high resolution with a pretty neutral sound performance.

Cheers
Orb

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
US price is US$ 12900 for the basic colours, and I think roughly US$ 16000 for the special paints.

Exceptional speakers indeed, Orb. And it's great to hear the darTZeel matched up nicely with it.

Perhaps you should have Magico special order the finish in the same "darTZeel gold" tone :)

alexandre

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks and I think the darTZeel is a great match for the S1; choose source just to reflect ones subtle preferences (MBL is a surprising good match to Zeel although it needs to use the XLR rather than rca for best performance out of the MBL into Zeel, also Metronome Technologie another great one that most probably know).

Regarding colours or Zeel red/gold tone :)
But I cannot justify the price of those special order/gloss finishes tbh, especially as the standard dark colours do look very good.

I think Dali shows all of them how to do special order, check these out for some absolutely stunning finishes.
http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/...N-F5-Anniversary/01-FAZON-F5-Anniversary.aspx

As you say the S1 is an exceptional speaker, not sure I have heard better for its price or even going a little bit higher when one considers resolution-transparency-tonal quality-imaging-focus-smoothness-lack of aberrations.
May be missing the lowest frequencies and the largest dynamic scale but it gets everything else truly spot on IMO, definitely a benchmark setting speaker for the price range.

Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks and I think the darTZeel is a great match for the S1; choose source just to reflect ones subtle preferences (MBL is a surprising good match to Zeel although it needs to use the XLR rather than rca for best performance out of the MBL into Zeel, also Metronome Technologie another great one that most probably know).
(...)

I have no experience on the S1, and perhaps if I had I would stay silent, but did you consider the Sonus Faber Amati Futura? I listened to it in a medium room (yes, I think 8mx6m should at less considered a medium or medium large room :)) with the 8550 and it sounded impressive. I consider that the Futura in Europe it is exceptional value for money.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Great sound here... Terry loves this speaker.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
As you say the S1 is an exceptional speaker, not sure I have heard better for its price or even going a little bit higher when one considers resolution-transparency-tonal quality-imaging-focus-smoothness-lack of aberrations.
May be missing the lowest frequencies and the largest dynamic scale but it gets everything else truly spot on IMO, definitely a benchmark setting speaker for the price range.

Cheers
Orb

There's indeed some serious gouging going on in these UK prices... Reminds me of my own country, where everything is at least 100% more expensive than at the source...
Anyway, I believe a lot of the Magico speakers are the best in terms of price x performance, at their respective price ranges. The S5 is also unmatched at its price.

Regarding the Amati Futura, I had one, and coincidently, played with a CTH-8550 for a while. The S1 is much, MUCH better. The S5 would absolutely destroy it. If anything, I think that at $35k, they're seriously overpriced. The first time I was auditioning Magico speakers (S5 and Q7), there was another guy with me who had just bought an Amati Futura (same dealer sells both brands). You should've seen the look on his face...

alexandre

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I have no experience on the S1, and perhaps if I had I would stay silent, but did you consider the Sonus Faber Amati Futura? I listened to it in a medium room (yes, I think 8mx6m should at less considered a medium or medium large room :)) with the 8550 and it sounded impressive. I consider that the Futura in Europe it is exceptional value for money.

Yeah at £21k the Futura is in a special price range but to work in our room it would be sticking out a bit too much (when one also considers its size), that is one thing about the S1 it is much more forgiving of room placement/boundaries than the SF and less imposing.
Also bear in mind regarding price range the equivalent in price to the S1 here in the UK is the Sonus Faber Evolution standmount, and as much as I love SF it is not much of a contest with the S1 coming out tops in every way over the Evolution.
In some ways it would give the Amati Futura a run for its money and in a few ways outperform it.
Micro if your curious and have time try to get to listen to the S1 but make sure it is with electronics you know well as it is very transparent-high resolution for its price.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Orb, interesting observation regarding the S1 vs. the SF Evo's. Perhaps you would care to elaborate. BTW, have you heard the Q1's?? Interestingly, many a'philes including myself, prefer the Evo's to the Amati Futura's..the Futura's can sound a little recessed in the mids and highs compared to the Evo's.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Heya Davey,
will post some thoughts on that later but I do appreciate the key to the Evos is critical setup (bit of a pig like the Mementos) and also cables; such as many seem to really like wireworld with SF.
Just mentioning the above to highlight I appreciate any comparison requires the SF speakers setup very well, but will post some of the comparisons.

Must admit never heard the Q1s, did hear the MiniII in the past and they were not for me but I assume those were very different to Q1.
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Orb, interesting observation regarding the S1 vs. the SF Evo's. Perhaps you would care to elaborate......

One positive is that if I had not heard the Magico S1 I would had purchased the SF Evolution as it suits my preferences and improves on the Palladio Guarneri I owned; improvements over the Palladio is better resolution-clarity/improved high frequency/stronger mid-bass range, but keeps the SF sound of musical flow-finesse and engagement with the music with good timbral warmth.
One aspect that would describe the SF sound as coloured is the way it has that subtle warm-dark-textured midrange but the benefit is that it is truly fatigue free and works well with all types of music.

Now with that said, the Magico S1 has in comparison a reference neutral tonal balance that shows as being lighter but critically is far from being bright (even pop-rock recordings sound good) and is very smooth, in fact the S1 with its greater resolution-clarity also has more finesse,speed, with tighter bass-mid that sound more natural.
I mention the speed because it seems the S1 can really handle subtle high energy transients and combined with its resolution-clarity means there was no aberration from factors such as sibilance; where subtle diffused sibilance was heard before, this was replaced with actual vocal detail using Magico S1.
Part of this I would say comes down to the S1 being one of the best speakers (at this price and a bit higher as well) to integrate the drivers and how good they are (it does not take long to appreciate how good that mid-bass and tweeter is), and the implementation; the complete tonal balance-clarity-integration is very good.

The same could be said about timbre-note quality and presence/ambience, dynamics, separation of voices/instruments,etc, with all in some way better with the S1.
It sounds a bit of an oxymoron, but I can say the S1 is definitely not analytical/cereberal (factor in electronics though) and first time in this price range has had me go wow because IMO so much is done correct and true reference tool for listening to music-instruments-voices that it just pulls you in.

Appreciate this does sound a bit hype-ish :)
But as I mentioned I would had settled for the SF Evolution (do feel it is overpriced but ah well I like it a lot) if I had not heard the S1 (manages to make music-instruments fun-engaging like the SF while also bringing reference level of resolution-clarity-integration).

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Orb, I do agree with you that the Evo's are a step up over the older Palladio M's. Personally, I prefer my GH's to both of them, plus I agree with you and think the new Evo's are overpriced. The S1's need to have bass augmentation ( sub) just like the G's. BTW, what ancillary gear are you using with the S1's?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Actually the bass from the S1 is very good and you do not necessarily need a sub (unless really want that last octave or that deep slam type presence).

Gear is Dartzeel 8550, MBL C31 CD Player, Crystal Cable Ultras (IMO this or better models one should consider for Crystal Cable due to the lower models having less conductors and this seems to come through with some traits).
Cheers
Orb

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Orb,

Thank you for your updates. The S1 sounds like a great speaker. I look forward to hearing them for myself.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Orb,
thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I have both the S1 and Q1 in my room, and I have to say that your description of S1 sound is spot on. It is really a great speaker, both sweet and transparent, competing with speaker at significantly higher price. Of course, it doesn't have the bass slam of a S5 for example, but if your room is small and untreated, it may not be a bad thing, you would avoid exciting too many room modes.
Just a small pic of both Q1 and S1 in my room when I was doing a comparison (S1 are now used as surround speakers)... sorry for the bad quality, it was a sunny day!
2013-04-14 11.32.07-small.jpg

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks guys,
yeah I think the S1 is perfect for the smaller medium type rooms where it is easy for the bass to lose its quality.
Nice size room there Stereo and bet the Q1 is great in it :)

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing