Magico Q5 demo at Goodwin's

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I saw two prices $178K and 322k for a souped up version. I could be wrong. Often custom made means "built to spec." Other companies get the privilege of buying a big batch of drivers and hand picking the good ones. At these prices you would expect the drivers should be built to spec by a top notch company.

I hope you guys forgive me for being negative sometimes. I just get tired of seeing equipment I'll never own.

Last edited:

jperrein

Jun 10, 2010
Ack, thanks for all the info. Nice new forum. I also have/had interest in the Q5 and, due Audiogon, in Tidal. I did hear them in Munich. The Tidal was very disappointing. Even for ceramic type speakers, I did not think that they were that good. Thin and just too airy without any real "substance". I can see why some audiophiles will love it, but I do not think it has anything to do with the way music really sounds. Good Guerrilla marketing on Audiogon though...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I saw two prices $178K and3 322k for a souped up version. I could be wrong. Often custom made means "built to spec." Other companies get the privilege of buying a big batch of drivers and hand picking the good ones. At these prices you would expect the drivers should be built to spec by a top notch company.

I hope you guys forgive me for being negative sometimes. I just get tired of seeing equipment I'll never own.

Gregadd

I am with you on this spiral toward ever more expensive gears ... when the material and means of producing these are falling ... People would very surprised to know how inexpensive most drivers, really are .. I would agree that the price of an item should not be equated with the price of its parts only but ... $322 K?
If they truly redefined what can be done ... well .. They can cost a million ... If they are what, alas, most of us have experienced these past many years, simply a different sounding speaker and often not that great either then this won't help our industry, our hobby, our quest
Sorry but I could not help it back to the Magico which by all account is a good speaker ... I haven't heard it yet but will very soon ... Bowing out

Frantz

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
FrantzThe Magico Q 5 will not knock you out of your seat, wow your friends or leave any money in your 401k. What it will do is convey the sense of real music. It may not be the best but it dleivers. Buy it and you've got your star. After that you'll just need a supporting cast.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
It's startling when some consider $50K for a pr. of speakers not extravagant. What I consider really special is finding a speaker for less that 10 grand that beats the socks off speakers costing 3-4X that amount...and they are out there, don't kid yourself.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's startling when some consider $50K for a pr. of speakers not extravagant. What I consider really special is finding a speaker for less that 10 grand that beats the socks off speakers costing 3-4X that amount...and they are out there, don't kid yourself.

Yep there certainly are if one is willing to not ask for the world but something that sounds like music :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Let me try to make my response to this. I was watching Comedy Central the other day. The comedian said," Have you ever seen a women so beautiful it just makes you mad." Two points. There was absolutely no practical reason for her to be that beautiful. He was going to have to make a lot more money if he was ever going to have a woman like that. That's the way you feel when you hear the Magico Q5. I might also add that's the way I felt when I heard the Playback Designs, Dartzell, Evoultuion two on Utube. The quality that was apparent even through that medium.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I don't disagree with what you say Reginald (Reggie?) but for the vast majority of us, we must abide by the law of diminishing returns.

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
I haven't heard the Tidal, i followed the beginning of thread on Gon and i do have a good friend, whose taste i understand, who was impressed by them at CES. having said that, i have made my choice and the Q5 are already on order. i don't think the wife would go for the tidal's anyway. when i started the search two years ago, i convinced myself i wanted the new JMLab Grand Utopia's, i previously owned JMLab monitors and loved them. when my wife saw them, she laughed, more importantly, i was not impressed by them (was really disappointed - to be fair, i have heard them several multiple times and they improved drastically with burn in and speaker positioning, there is probably not a speaker that is more sensitive to room positioning - and for $180k JMLab comes to your house to position them - good deal, huh). i am excited for the Q5, I am hoping from my M5 experience that Reggie is right, that they are a real solid speaker. i will certainly let everyone know when that day gets here (looks like speakers will arrive before the renovations are done - btw still trying to figure out how i'll get 400 lbs speakers up a four story walk up - Steve - can we have a What's Best Forum party to set these up?

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
i wouldn't want to venture a guess for fear of disappointment. i am just hoping that SoundbySinger will do it (without trying to trash them, i must say there service has not been the best)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just call me Greg (middle name).
Brian, I was the least impressed by the Magico of all the audiophiles there. The rest were really excited. I think you would prefer Irv (National Sales Manager) to Alon. He obviously choose engineering school over charm school. At 400lbs each I would not accept delivery unless they were willing to set them up. $50k may not be a lot in New York but in DC you can meet the President for that kind of money. In fact if you don't get first class treatment be sure and give Alon and Irv a call.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yep there certainly are if one is willing to not ask for the world but something that sounds like music :)

Myles

I disagree : There are out there, superlative speakers under 10 k.. Even if one is "asking for the World"... This is OT and I will not argue more on ths issue in this thread. Another perhaps ... on great components and speakers at sensible prices that challenge the SOTA ?
I am with es347 on this:
What I consider really special is finding a speaker for less that 10 grand that beats the socks off speakers costing 3-4X that amount...and they are out there, don't kid yourself.

Frantz

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was about to suggest someone start a Best Speaker for the money thread. Full range of course.

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
I see that Magico has recently added some new pictures and technical info at their web site on the Q5. Perhaps someone could comment on exactly what the new info and charts means?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
..........btw still trying to figure out how i'll get 400 lbs speakers up a four story walk up

I feel for you friend. How much do piano movers charge by the hour over there?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That reminds me of my Wilson XS subwoofer which stood 8' tall and weighed 750lbs. It came in a crate that easily could house a small boat. When they brought it to my door they refused to attempt to bring it into the house let alone navigate a circular staircase with 17 stairs. I phoned Trent at Wilson Audio. He laughed and told me to call a piano mover. Cost me $75. Took them less than 10 minutes.

sydsrig

Oct 7, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Ack, Very nice review. What is the approxomate room size at Goodwins? I also have a pair on order for a room that is 16 x 22 x 10.

Sorry for being a bit late to the game here, but I just subscribed to this forum...

The dimensions of Goodwins SOTA listening room is 11' High x 22' wide x 30' ft long (actually it's supposedly just a hair short of 30' - somewhere north of 29.5' as I recall). I know this room intimately as I built my system in that room over the years with Alan Goodwin and Al Moulton. I was last there a couple of months before Alon's Q5 demo and had them set up the ML CLX's in that room on a full spectral reference system, which is what I spent the majority of my day listening to. The Q5's were set up in a smaller room 1-2 doors down from the big room at the time. I listened to them for a while with whatever background music they had playing in the room. They did sound nice, but again, it was difficult to form a definitive impression as it was not a real demo, I was not familiar with the equipment/music, and was not as familiar with that room. I did hear the M6 and V3's in the big room last year (again, on a full spectral reference system). The V3 sounded the best that I've ever heard it sound (I've heard them at another dealer and at shows), although I wish it had more bass. The M6 sounded quite good as well, with what was clearly a whole lot more bass. Nover did get to hear the M5's in that room though.

Mabutu

Mar 20, 2019
decided to pull my Magico Q5’s apart today for a deep dive . All the crossovers were exactly the same as the promo pics from many years ago.

IMG_9875.jpeg IMG_9877.jpeg IMG_9880.jpeg IMG_9881.jpeg IMG_9876.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing