Magico A5?

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
A5's sounding stellar for last few days , break in is a must I about gave up to be honest . This speaker took about 400 hours to shine . Before price increase the A5 was a steal , but even now at current price it's a bargain for the performance you get .

drakestorm

Jul 5, 2023
Thanks for the assistance and advice with my earlier post. I will likely be an A5 owner in the next week or so, and intend to use them with the existing amp. I've been meaning to explore Room EQ Wizard for some time, so may also dive into the EQ functionality as needed.

I'm curious if anyone using the APods has used protectors for wooden floors? It appears that Magico make their own, but I've seen positive feedback for Herbie's Audio Lab Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider.

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
A5's sounding stellar for last few days , break in is a must I about gave up to be honest . This speaker took about 400 hours to shine . Before price increase the A5 was a steal , but even now at current price it's a bargain for the performance you get .
Yes, the bass changes more than any product I've ever owned over the first couple of weeks.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Yes I have directly. Same room, same equipment. Same optimal position. Moved one speaker in, moved one speaker out. Room was 22x16 I believe. At a dealer.
Curious if anyone here compared A5 to M2

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
The S3 MK3 is probably the best value in the entire Magico range
Interesting, I will go listen next week , as of now I have 2 systems using A5 at one location and Focal Maestro Utopia Evo at other location . I'm hoping to move soon into one home and downsizing

Reactions: AudioGod

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
@rau

Sorry, I've been out of pocket.

Regarding the two products, I went in there to Scott Walker with the intent to find my next speaker.
I'm coming from Magico Mini 2 and I also had Bowers 802D3/800D3, Sonus Faber Stradivari, and Rockport Avior I.

I also compared the units to the BW803D4.

Different price points I know.

The A5 is surprisingly smaller than I thought it would be in real life, especially when it seems like a baffle full of drivers. The M2 actually looked a little bigger than I expected. Both, in the end, are similar in size.

Regarding the appearance, the A5 is flat and rectangular. The feet at standard issue outrigger and spikes. I do not recall if the pair I heard was A Pods. The baffle of the A5 is utilitarian, you can see the attachment points and the screws. This means that the entire driver array is attached to the baffle, including the more sensitive tweeter assembly.

The M2, by comparison, is far more advanced. The baffle is curved, no screws to be seen. The patient has a lute shape, the entirety is made of 3/4" carbon fiber if I recall correctly. There is an aluminum spine, which holds 3 tension rods that affix to the baffle. The drivers are attached to a sub-baffle.... while the tweeter is attached to the backside of the front baffle, allowing it to remain isolated from the more mobile/excursing midrange and bass drivers.

What I heard?

I heard the M2, then A5, then M2.

Once I heard the M2, I had an idea of how it sounded. There was a warmth to the sound, the bass was more than sufficient. THe units had good PRaT and good musicality. The imaging and the treble was rounded off, and felt natural.

Then we moved the A5 in its place. The A5 sounded significantly brighter to me, edgier, and less musical. The clarity and midrange transparency was likely similar, but the sound seemed flatter. The bass was better, more impact. But not enough for me to feel like the M2 was bass anemic.

Went back to the M2.... I knew again that this was the more natural sounding unit. So we stayed with the unit the rest of the audition (approx 5 hours), and I purchased a set.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
Then we moved the A5 in its place. The A5 sounded significantly brighter to me, edgier, and less musical. The clarity and midrange transparency was likely similar, but the sound seemed flatter. The bass was better, more impact. But not enough for me to feel like the M2 was bass anemic.
I had the opportunity to hear both speakers at my dealer too but not in as controlled a setting. I was quite impressed by the bass of the A5. I completely agree with the brighter sound of the A5 although my dealer was able to tame most of the brightness by toeing out the speakers more as the A5 tweeter I think is more directional whereas the M2 is not. But I also think that the "edgier, less musical" sound from the A5 in comparison to the M2 is also partly related to the significant reduction in diffraction coming from the M2 baffle. For me, this was a revelation as almost all speakers we have are very boxy with a flat baffle with distortion coming from diffraction. This has basically become the gold standard. So listening to the M2 made me realize how reducing this type of diffraction can improve the sound.

With all that said, I don't think A5 is any brighter or edgier or less musical compared to other speakers in similar price ranges, particularly ones with beryllium tweeters. I think the A5 is more revealing of the electronics you use to drive them so if your source is bright or edgier or not musical enough, you're going to hear it a lot more with the A5 than with other speaker brands. But then the same can be said of the M2.

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
@rau

What I heard?

Once I heard the M2, I had an idea of how it sounded. There was a warmth to the sound, the bass was more than sufficient. THe units had good PRaT and good musicality. The imaging and the treble was rounded off, and felt natural.

I have the A5’s and they needed a long time to break in. Sorry I have not compared to M2. But I have compared to 800D3. Same electronics although different rooms. I cannot say the A5’s are bright but that may be my room and electronics.
Bass is outstanding. Strong and hits each variation in bass which I have not heard before. I run them in stereo mode most of the time w/o a sub. Completely shakes my home which is rather large and very open concept.
I listen to them all day long via Tidal HiRes at lower volumes. All my girls just love the vocals from them. They have much better hearing in this area then us males.

In HT mode with the matching center is outstanding.

Reactions: CKKeung

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I have the A5’s and they needed a long time to break in. Sorry I have not compared to M2. But I have compared to 800D3. Same electronics although different rooms. I cannot say the A5’s are bright but that may be my room and electronics.
Bass is outstanding. Strong and hits each variation in bass which I have not heard before. I run them in stereo mode most of the time w/o a sub. Completely shakes my home which is rather large and very open concept.
I listen to them all day long via Tidal HiRes at lower volumes. All my girls just love the vocals from them. They have much better hearing in this area then us males.

How did the 800d3 fare against A5?

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
@rau

Sorry, I've been out of pocket.

Regarding the two products, I went in there to Scott Walker with the intent to find my next speaker.
I'm coming from Magico Mini 2 and I also had Bowers 802D3/800D3, Sonus Faber Stradivari, and Rockport Avior I.

I also compared the units to the BW803D4.

Different price points I know.

The A5 is surprisingly smaller than I thought it would be in real life, especially when it seems like a baffle full of drivers. The M2 actually looked a little bigger than I expected. Both, in the end, are similar in size.

Regarding the appearance, the A5 is flat and rectangular. The feet at standard issue outrigger and spikes. I do not recall if the pair I heard was A Pods. The baffle of the A5 is utilitarian, you can see the attachment points and the screws. This means that the entire driver array is attached to the baffle, including the more sensitive tweeter assembly.

The M2, by comparison, is far more advanced. The baffle is curved, no screws to be seen. The patient has a lute shape, the entirety is made of 3/4" carbon fiber if I recall correctly. There is an aluminum spine, which holds 3 tension rods that affix to the baffle. The drivers are attached to a sub-baffle.... while the tweeter is attached to the backside of the front baffle, allowing it to remain isolated from the more mobile/excursing midrange and bass drivers.

What I heard?

Went back to the M2.... I knew again that this was the more natural sounding unit. So we stayed with the unit the rest of the audition (approx 5 hours), and I purchased a set.
Ok

I was actually looking at the ACC tonight

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
How did the 800d3 fare against A5?
Good question!
I’ve listened to the 800d3’s many times at the dealer. Unfortunately they don’t sell Magico.
The game changer was listening to both speakers on the same day using all Bryston gear like I have. Played the same songs on both that I play regularly. Coming off B&W 802N’s, I hoped the 800’s would be my path.
The vocals and imaging were the deal breaker. The A5’s presented a better sound stage. The speakers disappeared. My wife clued into this right away. The I listened to the A5’s, the detail I heard. Unfortunately both rooms were not really setup for bass. For me, I wanted great mids, highs and imaging. A5’s became my clear winner. The Magico dealer had much of the line available to play. He mentioned the A5’s were the best price for sound etc. I don’t have unlimited funds to get into the Magico higher end. Instead I upgraded my amps and a few other things. The 28B Cubes are just outstanding driving the A5’s.

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
I was actually looking at the ACC tonight
ACC is a fantastic centre speaker. Somehow when I played my system it was the only speaker running in full mode. I was impressed with the full range it provided. Bass extension was beyond what I thought. It provides a seemless front soundstage with the A5’s. No discernible L/C/R separation unless of course the source does that.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing