Lyra Etna and Airtight Opus 1? Is it different enough?

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
It's been 6 months since I've had the Opus installed on my second table.

And I can say, it's been a joy having 2 carts. I would say the Lyra Etna definitely sounds different compared to the Opus. The Opus was a great choice for a 2nd vinyl option.

Thank you all!
Congratulations Joey, to the Opus-1! Great choice! I have the Opus-1 myself and is very satisfied with it. I have tried several Lyras in my system, and some of them didn’t sound right here, due to (at first) lack of know-how during setup. However, after some crazy nerdy study - the latter ones I’ve had here have been sounding really really good. So I’m definitely planning for an Atlas in the future ;)!

Enjoy the music, Joey !

/ Jk

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's been 6 months since I've had the Opus installed on my second table.

And I can say, it's been a joy having 2 carts. I would say the Lyra Etna definitely sounds different compared to the Opus. The Opus was a great choice for a 2nd vinyl option.

Thank you all!
What fraction of your record playing time would you estimate you use the Lyra, and what fraction of your record playing time would you estimate you use the Opus?

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I recently chose two new stereo cartridges. A Lyra Etna Lambda and Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux.

They turned out as I expected to be excellent competitors because of equal but different strengths and no weaknesses that these ears recognize. And these two are different enough, that I do not regret, having both in my arsenal. Sometimes, depending upon a given recording one will flush out a little more of a character mood from a performance. Where the Etna has a very clean and decisive punctuation and presents very linear and balanced, the Bordeaux leans in with a bit more lush midrange bloom, and sweetness in the upper registers. But mind you, I am splitting hairs. Neither lacks what the other has as a strength, but it just may present with a bit less emphasis in these regards. These are all subtle complex nuances. More a seasoning than a specific flavor, more a shading in contrast rather than a different hue.

Couldn’t even imagine giving one up for the other. Both exceptional. Best I’ve ever had.

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
Joey,
Happy for you on the second cartridge. I’m asuming you are still running the VPI Avenger. What is the second TT and tonearm might I ask?
Hope you are having a great New Year.
Best
Al

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
How do you find the Opus and Etna differ Joey? Do you have a feel for the character of the two?

And by the way, congratulations to you on both, and being able to enjoy both interchangeably!

Could you mention what tonearms they are on?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
what arm are you using it on
For my resent set-up, the Etna Lambda is on a 10” Graham Phantom III and the Bordeaux is on a Reed P3 12”. With the tonearms I have presently available these seem best suited.

The reason why I ask, is, I believe it gives some perspective to how the cartridge performs. I’m always curious to what combinations other listeners are choosing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For my resent set-up, the Etna Lambda is on a 10” Graham Phantom III and the Bordeaux is on a Reed P3 12”. With the tonearms I have presently available these seem best suited.

The reason why I ask, is, I believe it gives some perspective to how the cartridge performs. I’m always curious to what combinations other listeners are choosing.

sorry I was asking phantom about the top wing

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing