LPS vs. Audiophile Power cord? What makes a bigger difference?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I would say an LPS over a PC depending on what it’s replacing , environment, etc.. A cheap noisy SMPS being replaced by a quality LPS should make more of an improvement Over a PC.
Shielding noise from the PC could also be beneficial if its replacing a lesser shielded cord.. just depends.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The Hynes SR4 lps gave a big gain when fitted onto my router yet is equally responsive to a better cord. I think that ultimately the answer will depend on the sensitivity to cleaner power of the item being supplied.

Reactions: crion

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
This is an interesting question. The short answer is that you need both.

First, it depends where it is. The ( Sablon King ) power cord feeding my Sound Application TT-7 power conditioner makes a much bigger difference than the LPS feeding one of my fiber media converters that is not directly in the streaming network path. On the other hand, the LPS feeding my DAC makes a much bigger difference than the power cord feeding my turntable.
But then things get more complex, because as you keep improving the power supplies in your system, your system becomes more transparent / resolving, and power cords make a bigger difference. I see them as two moving targets - depending on the time (i.e. the state of your system) and position of these moving targets, one can be better than the other.

Some common sense should apply, though. The LPS on the DAC matters a lot. A good LPS on my Chord DAVE DAC instead of the stock SMPS, even with a cheap cable, makes a bigger difference than an expensive power cord with the stock SMPS. I've tried a $16K power cord with the regular SMPS and a $6K LPS with a cheap power cord and prefered the LPS in this position. The power cord feeding your power conditioner that is feeding your entire system matters a lot (and impacts the entire system). The power cords to my amplifiers also make a big difference.

On the transparency comment - I talked to a power cable manufacturer this week and mentioned my TT-7 power conditioner and suggested to him to try one. His immediate reaction was: "$20K!!! Does it make good power cables unnecessary???". I think it was a serious question. I said: "Absolutely no! It makes power cords even more important, especially the one feeding the power conditioner". I told him if he is making power cords and wants demo the difference between power cords, the TT-7 is a must have tool for him!

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Good LPS will make a bigger difference.

Power cord is always important - in any component that's in the system

Regards,
Marcin

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
It depends on the hardware. I've had some that LPS made a huge difference and others where it didn't. Good power cable has always made a difference to my ears though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing