low watt amplifiers in either stereo or mono - recommendations?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
We need several different types of audio systems to test our products with to see how they react to different components. One of the systems we test with a low power amplifier mated with a relatively high efficiency speaker. After talking with many reviewers and colleages in the industry and doing many in-house tests we settled on the SoundKaos Wave40 speaker (thank you Srajan Eben) and the AYON Crossfire. Now I am not saying that either of these are the best products in their category. They are simply the products that we found to our liking.

You can learn more about the Wave40 speakers here if you interested.
http://www.soundkaos.com/

All three of these amplifiers had similar resolution and clarity: First Watt, Berning and the Ayon. I would use any of them without hesitation. The Ayon has a bit more power than the First Watt and the Wave40 speakers are only 91db efficient so that little extra power was appreciated. What the Ayon did that the others did not was in its lower registers. It has a more fully bodied sound quality and a sense of more dynamic power. And I am not talking about the infamous tube "bloom". I am talking about great bass definition and micro to macro dynamic speed and power. This is why I ultimately chose it for our reference system.

I would say the Ayon is typical in its heat output for a single-ended tube amp. Not even close to hot just warm.

Hi Caelin,

thank you for that information, looking at this pce how do you turn it on and off. Mine wouldn't be sitting like yours but instead on a stand as per in my signature picture.

So would you say it would be save to place on the second or bottom shelf - the heat transmitted not being an issue.

I'm read allot of your normal audiopile check offs when I have been checking further into this specific pce but what about over all engagement, does it draw one "immerse" into the actual performance - not reading much id anything about that. Tonality - how's that along with being musical. Is it a pce that you can listen with hours or more fatiguing due to being too detailed. Does the bass offer timbre within, not mechanical sounding. Are the transformers dead quiet, no noise coming from the speakers.

Thanks again

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Caelin,

thank you for that information, looking at this pce how do you turn it on and off. Mine wouldn't be sitting like yours but instead on a stand as per in my signature picture.

So would you say it would be save to place on the second or bottom shelf - the heat transmitted not being an issue.

I'm read allot of your normal audiopile check offs when I have been checking further into this specific pce but what about over all engagement, does it draw one "immerse" into the actual performance - not reading much id anything about that. Tonality - how's that along with being musical. Is it a pce that you can listen with hours or more fatiguing due to being too detailed. Does the bass offer timbre within, not mechanical sounding. Are the transformers dead quiet, no noise coming from the speakers.

Thanks again

I've heard the amp at Caelin's house and it is terrific. As I said before the mid range was simply exquisite. I really didn't notice any heat issues

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I've heard the amp at Caelin's house and it is terrific. As I said before the mid range was simply exquisite. I really didn't notice any heat issues

thx - in comparison to your lammies- midrange differences?

Heat - I was reading some info on the net and mentioned it run's really hot - good for the winter months but not so much for the summer so just looking for some real feedback.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Heat - I was reading some info on the net and mentioned it run's really hot - good for the winter months but not so much for the summer so just looking for some real feedback.

same could be said for all tube amps

As far as comparing Ayon Crossfire to the Lamm ML3 I would suggest you have a listen yourself

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

The Lamm amps are in a completely different price category. I have heard them at shows but have no personal experience with them. Everyone that I know that has them say they are the best or one of the best they have used. At those prices you really need a good dealer that will let you audition them in your system.

The heat generated by the Lamm or the Ayon will be similar. I do not consider the heat to be excessive. Most solid state amps run as hot or hotter if heavily class A biased. The SIT amps which are solid state run very warm to hot. If heat is a primary concern get the Berning amp - runs very cool.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
There are certainly many great tube amplifiers to choose from. But when it comes to tube amplifiers with great, not just good, bass, only a few stand out. Lamm is certainly one of them. But another that is less well-known and probably deserves more attention is the Zanden 9600. It is a 60 wps, push-pull design with extraordinary sonics. I heard this amp driving Sonus Faber Aidas a few years ago and was mightily impressed. (Makes me want to hear the 8120, its younger, inexpensive sibling as well). BTW, when I first heard the Aida set-up, they were being driven my VTL Siegfrieds, which was the amp I owned at the time. We switched to the Zandens for fun but they turned out to be revelatory. It was the bass performance of the Zanden that made me realize right then and there I would be eventually have to part with my beloved Siegfrieds.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
The Lamm amps are in a completely different price category. I have heard them at shows but have no personal experience with them. Everyone that I know that has them say they are the best or one of the best they have used. At those prices you really need a good dealer that will let you audition them in your system.

The heat generated by the Lamm or the Ayon will be similar. I do not consider the heat to be excessive. Most solid state amps run as hot or hotter if heavily class A biased. The SIT amps which are solid state run very warm to hot. If heat is a primary concern get the Berning amp - runs very cool.

thx for the input, I have been doing a bit of research and don't see much is anything on the III version and also confused by their product info and appears to be numerous pics showing the back but of what model or version I don't know.

Does yours have one pair of xlr inputs, where is the power on and off switch located for this unit.

If possible could you take a pic of the back of yours and post - would be appreciated.

yes I realize the ml3's are in a whole other category price wise and for sure any of product I'm considering I would be wanting to audition them within my own system. Currently
I'm putting together a short list of prospects.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
same could be said for all tube amps

As far as comparing Ayon Crossfire to the Lamm ML3 I would suggest you have a listen yourself

thank you Steve - yes I agree - right now just gathering info and others thoughts and suggestions.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
thx for the input, I have been doing a bit of research and don't see much is anything on the III version and also confused by their product info and appears to be numerous pics showing the back but of what model or version I don't know.

Does yours have one pair of xlr inputs, where is the power on and off switch located for this unit.

If possible could you take a pic of the back of yours and post - would be appreciated.

yes I realize the ml3's are in a whole other category price wise and for sure any of product I'm considering I would be wanting to audition them within my own system. Currently
I'm putting together a short list of prospects.

The Crossfire has both XLR and RCA inputs. There are nice quality speaker terminals on the back with separate 8 ohm and 4 ohm terminals. The on/off switch is not visible and is not on the back. It is on the bottom, left hand edge, towards the front.

I have also used the amp with the Devore 0/96 speakers which is a great match. The Devores have much better low end response than the Wave40 and they are also more efficient. Volume levels were never a problem with any type of music. I have tried it with the Vivid Giya 3 with good results but the Giyas really like more power. The Giya's are low to medium efficiency so it worked surprising good but you couldn't play rock music at high levels.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing