Love And Mercy-Brian Wilson Biopic

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

in a year absent to date of stand out movies I am flabbergasted that I am only now seeing this film. What an absolutely brilliantly told story of the life of Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.
Played as a double part by John Cusack and Paul Dano both of whom in my opinion were absolutely believable as were Paul Giametti who plays the psychologist Dr Eugene Landy in charge of Wilson's life as well as Elizabeth Banks playing the Cadillac dealer who basically rescued Wilson from Landy and is now presently married to Wilson since 1995. The story is remarkably well edited from past to present day but to see and understand Brian Wilson one comes away with the feeling that he is a true genius and how his mind was filled with music and sounds that became parts of his songs. This film is definitely worth the rental as IMO all 4 major actors were superb.

Brian Wilson sings the song in the rolling credits and his facies remain stone faced as portrayed so well by Dano and Cusack

Highly recommended

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I saw this a couple of months ago. My favorite movie so far this year.

Tim

Steve Williams

I have to agree. This one had me from start to finish and all 4 of the leading roles were stellar. Cusack/Dano nailed his persona spooky good

Off to see Straight Outta Compton now. Not a fan of rap but I am understanding it as well is a terrific biopic

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not a theatre-goer (never really have been), but I will for sure get this on Blu-ray!

Steve Williams

I'm not a theatre-goer (never really have been), but I will for sure get this on Blu-ray!

IMO you won't be disappointed. I wasn't and I was never a huge Beach Boys fan. In fact I never knew that after his first road tour and having a melt down on their private jet from a panic attack, Brian Wilson never toured with them again but rather stayed home to write Beach Boys music while the group toured with a stand in Brian Wilson. How he thought of all of the sounds to be a part of his rhythm section as well as writing music played in two different rhythms was shear genius. Portrayed by Paul Dano in his earlier life and John Cusack in his later life I was riveted to the screen for the entire 2 hours. I know better movies are due out shortly (finally Black Mass and The Martian) but, for me, to date, Love and Mercy is the best so far this year and not to be missed

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
IMO you won't be disappointed. I wasn't and I was never a huge Beach Boys fan. In fact I never knew that after his first road tour and having a melt down on their private jet from a panic attack, Brian Wilson never toured with them again but rather stayed home to write Beach Boys music while the group toured with a stand in Brian Wilson. How he thought of all of the sounds to be a part of his rhythm section as well as writing music played in two different rhythms was shear genius. Portrayed by Paul Dano in his earlier life and John Cusack in his later life I was riveted to the screen for the entire 2 hours. I know better movies are due out shortly (finally Black Mass and The Martian) but, for me, to date, Love and Mercy is the best so far this year and not to be missed

It wasn't until I learned more about Brian Wilson and his genius later on that I started to fully appreciate the Beach Boys' music.

BTW....the Blu-ray will be released this Tuesday and Amazon US has it for $12.95! :) (Be sure to read the review)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Love-and-Mercy-Blu-ray/135731/

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Saw it last night on Shaw VOD and loved it. :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Ok, now that you have seen that movie, watch The Wrecking Crew for some more information and perspective on that scene!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing