Looking To Meet Some Arizona Audiophiles April 24th

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, glad you liked the silk dome(s). I too hope that DW will replace all of the inverted titanium domes throughout his line. I am of the same opinion as you are regarding the silk domes ability. Did you also get to hear the speakers with the other ss gear that you posted earlier that was on hand?
I'm sure that the SF's liked the tube amp the best, no surprise for me there.
Thanks for the reviews.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We didn't Davey. Just not enough time. We did hear the big MBL's with an MBL amp

When all was said and done the trip for me was worth it in order to be able to evaluate the tweeter. Overall (and Mike was the first to apologize) however the lack of any genuine room treatments left both rooms with lots to be desired. It was very difficult to properly evaluate as both Marty and I have heard the Aida sound much better and certainly with a better bottom end. Nonetheless we also got to play with the trim switches on the back which can change ambient sound.

I can say this that IMHO the silk dome tweeter is a huge change for the Wilson line and I am betting it will show up on other Wilson speakers. Having said that however I can say that my X-2 series ll's with twin Gotham subs puts out a far better bottom end as compared to just the XLF alone.

Marty will be writing an extensive review as he has heard the Aida on more occasions than I

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Steve Williams

For my few hours there yesterday the revelation for me was just how good and how different the new silk dome tweeter is. Unfortunately there is no way to swap out one for the other in my speaker as the housing casing is a different dimension and will not fit

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Your ears are better than mine, Steve. I find that 24hrs after flying, I can't trust my ears for any critical listening. Which is why I always fly in at least 24hrs before setting up for a show. It always sounds harsher and thinner with poor imaging and soundstage when I've just flown.
I had that problem when I visited Steve. But then I almost never fly. It's possible he's accustomed to it.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It seems just a few years ago that any North American speaker manufacturer that used silk dome tweeters was considered strictly low tech and low fi. How the fashion wheel turns!

I always liked silk dome tweeters, much less mechanical sounding and less hard "bite" in the upper midrange. However, the metal types were always seen as far more accurate.

Steve Williams

It seems just a few years ago that any North American speaker manufacturer that used silk dome tweeters was considered strictly low tech and low fi. How the fashion wheel turns!

I always liked silk dome tweeters, much less mechanical sounding and less hard "bite" in the upper midrange. However, the metal types were always seen as far more accurate.

Carl

You are probably correct re accuracy but the sound of that tweeter for me was smooth,open relaxed and was wonderful to listen to

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Inverted hard domes are more hard /snappy in my opinion , i like the attack (on guitarstrings) with such a tweeter , sometimes its :you win some you lose some, maybe
Soft dome implementation is very important off course , if one would hear that same tweeter build in a mdf box it would sound very diffferent than very well executed wilson style .
But its indeed kind of a new old thing , does high end progress forward or does it move in circles:D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned a few speakers with beryllium tweeters - Wilson and Jmlabs. However as all of them had tilted up frequency balances - a designer choice, not a tweeter characteristic - I can not be sure if their treble characteristics were due to the driver material or just the frequency response.

The Maxx3 had a tilted down treble balance compared with the Maxx2 or the Watt system 7 and I never found it tiresome in my system, but my room is well damped in the treble. Would love to see the frequency response of the X2 and XLF.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Carl

You are probably correct re accuracy but the sound of that tweeter for me was smooth,open relaxed and was wonderful to listen to

That means the XLF tweeter , the Aida's or both? :)

Steve Williams

I have owned a few speakers with beryllium tweeters - Wilson and Jmlabs. However as all of them had tilted up frequency balances - a designer choice, not a tweeter characteristic - I can not be sure if their treble characteristics were due to the driver material or just the frequency response.

The Maxx3 had a tilted down treble balance compared with the Maxx2 or the Watt system 7 and I never found it tiresome in my system, but my room is well damped in the treble. Would love to see the frequency response of the X2 and XLF.

Stay tuned because we measured the frequency response of the XLF.

Micro

You've heard if the B&K frequency response curve being what people like most.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Steve. Sounds like a great day. I have heard very, very positive feedback from an owner here who swapped his X2 2s for XLFs in January/Feb. In any event, i am not at all surprised to hear 2 Gothams and your X2 2s provide better bass than a single XLF...in fact, once i get round to the transport upgrade...i suspect my next long-term move would be trading in the Velodyne DD18 for a second-hand Gotham...or buying a 2nd used Velodyne DD18.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks, Steve. Sounds like a great day. I have heard very, very positive feedback from an owner here who swapped his X2 2s for XLFs in January/Feb. In any event, i am not at all surprised to hear 2 Gothams and your X2 2s provide better bass than a single XLF...in fact, once i get round to the transport upgrade...i suspect my next long-term move would be trading in the Velodyne DD18 for a second-hand Gotham...or buying a 2nd used Velodyne DD18.

OT
While I think the Gotham to be superior to the DD18 (guess, belief, opinion, speculation.. based on nothing but impressions, although have heard both in vastly diffeent systems/rooms .. and I could be wrong ... ) Go for a second DD 18 ... more subs = better bass 98% of the time :) ...

Am waiting for Marty's write-up ...

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
OT
While I think the Gotham to be superior to the DD18 (guess, belief, opinion, speculation.. based on nothing but impressions, although have heard both in vastly diffeent systems/rooms .. and I could be wrong ... ) Go for a second DD 18 ... more subs = better bass 98% of the time :) ...
Or a Submersive and spend the extra 1500.00 on source material!:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, i have heard this...2 subs better than one when properly set up. I could well imagine. I also have heard good things about Submersives. Well...not for a while in any event, so plenty of time to read up and audition. thanks for the advice guys!

...now back to the main feature presentation...XLF v Aida (v MBL)

Steve Williams

OT

Am waiting for Marty's write-up ...

Frantz

what is interesting is that Marty and I have had essentially no time to privately discuss our thoughts as literally we both got off 2 separate airplanes, were met by the owner at the curb, went for lunch and listened for 5 hours. Subsequently we were driven to the airport and hopped on two separate planes and the only conversation we've had to-day is that I sent him the photos taken with the Phonik of each speaker's frequency response as well as a second taken of the Aida after speaker position was changed by only a few inches which still showed a suck out but a much flatter frequency response. Because of this I couldn't really say there was much deep bass in spite of a downward firing 13" sub. When I previously heard the speaker at CES I really don't remember that being an issue but again in all fairness to Mike, the owner, he was candid with us right from the beginning that the acoustics in the rooms was still to be finished in the next few weeks. IOW, I suspect that room issues contributed to my statement above. Marty told me he heard the Aida recently while away. It was played with the Zanden 65 wpc amp and he said it was amazing. Needless to say I also look forward to his review

For my ears yesterday, it wasn't until the speaker placement was changed slightly and the amp was changed from the Mac SS 1.2 Kw to the Mac tube amp 2301.

BTW, I agree about a 2nd Velodyne as well as perhaps 1-2 other subs a well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing