Looking for New Equipment

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Returning to the hobby after 12 years and trying to get some footing on how to proceed.
Willing to spend $25k or so.
Old system I still have includes: Mirage M3si's, Audio Research SP9 ll and Aragon 4004 ll.
Have listened to speakers: Linn, Sonus Faber Olympicas (and Futuras), B&W 802,3,4. Hard to audition less broadly distributed brands from NC, but I travel a lot.
Deciding today I'd pick the 802 Diamonds. WAF is a consideration; too big or too 'out there' in appearance will not fly.
A dealer I met is looking to sell a demo Musical Fidelity M6 500i which would replace my SP9 ll and Aragon amp.

Thoughts?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Returning to the hobby after 12 years and trying to get some footing on how to proceed.
Willing to spend $25k or so.
Old system I still have includes: Mirage M3si's, Audio Research SP9 ll and Aragon 4004 ll.
Have listened to speakers: Linn, Sonus Faber Olympicas (and Futuras), B&W 802,3,4. Hard to audition less broadly distributed brands from NC, but I travel a lot.
Deciding today I'd pick the 802 Diamonds. WAF is a consideration; too big or too 'out there' in appearance will not fly.
A dealer I met is looking to sell a demo Musical Fidelity M6 500i which would replace my SP9 ll and Aragon amp.

Thoughts?

Source(s)?

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Giving the tt and records to a son and going with a HD in some form or fashion, YTBD. Also an Oppo 103D (will double as HT).

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
Might want to give the new Kef Reference series a listen.. and you might also want to take a look at a Devialet

audio

Aug 3, 2014
see if you can get a listen to a Devialet unit. It's an all-in-one unit ie preamp, amp, dac in one case. I've read some very glowing reviews. Do some online research and I'm sure you will find quite a bit of info. I'm not in any way connected with the company nor an owner.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Plus one or get a used wilson audio Watt /puppy seven or so and built up from there but you have already decided on the speakers :)
Might want to give the new Kef Reference series a listen.. and you might also want to take a look at a Devialet

esldude

I would suggest a Wilson Sophia series III, and a Devialet. The Wilson sounds good, is an easy load, and better WAF than the WATT/Puppy I think. To my ears the Sophia was more musical than the WATT/Puppy as well.

Also, if you happen to be still listening to your Mirage speakers I have a tip. Stuff the woofer ports with drinking straws. Just run some tape around enough straws to completely fill the opening. It resistively dampens the movement of air through the ports. This will tighten up the low end a bit and seem to reveal better sound around the voices. A friend had some of those for a few years and those who heard it both ways thought the straws were an improvement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing