Longevity of Genesis loudspeakers

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I am very proud and honored that many Genesis owners hold on to their speakers for 10, 15, 20 years.... and we do our best to keep them supported. I am happy that this is recognized by the industry. The Genesis 6.1 was conferred the Absolute Sound's Golden Year award 7 years after launch, and 18 months after it was discontinued!!

It's now 2014, and I was happy to wake up to a beautiful foggy morning in Bellevue, and a Facebook ping from Scot Hul (Part-time Audiophile) who just gave

best20131.jpg

to the Genesis 5.3. He says:

Gary Koh hooked me up with some time on his marvelous and infinitely tuneable G5.3 loudspeakers. These guys are nifty in ways that just scream flexibility. Integrated subwoofers, rear-facing drivers, tweak-able response curves for every section of the audio band leaves you with a pair of loudspeakers that can do it all — and do that everywhere.

That’s neat.

The sound field is dominated by a sense of coherence — and in exactly the way that truly big speakers manage so effortlessly. Height and width of the stage is pretty much spot-perfect, with all the expected audiophile traits you’re partial to — you’ll find detail and air a-plenty.

This is an extremely easy loudspeaker to recommend, assuming that the cost-to-entry is surmountable. Got a troublesome room? This would be the can-opener I’d reach for.

Review forthcoming.

Read the rest of his 'Best of' list here: http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/12/31/the-best-of-2013/

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Long time Genesis user (both my favorite speaker and my favorite band - how's that for symmetry) and can vouch for how well Gary's incarnation of the company has supported those of us who are long-time users. I bought a set of G200 speakers back in 1997 (I think?) with the old Carver midrange driver and the 'flat' amp. Subsequently replaced the midrange drives, the servo cables and the amp (even bought a spare). Speakers have proven to be really very resilient and Gary has done a really good job in supporting them - I certainly have appreciated that.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats Gary!!! Genesis are the stuff of legend going back to when many of us here were just beginning the long road of audio perfection. And as you say, many of those speakers remain in SOTA system's today. I just saw the 7th and final installation of Paul McGowan's video of his work on installing the big Genesis 1s in the PS Audio room. I believe paul was affiliated with Genesis way back when, but nevertheless it says a lot when a manufacturer still makes a big show of his new flagship speaker...and its a Genesis 1!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congrats Gary!!! Genesis are the stuff of legend going back to when many of us here were just beginning the long road of audio perfection. And as you say, many of those speakers remain in SOTA system's today. I just saw the 7th and final installation of Paul McGowan's video of his work on installing the big Genesis 1s in the PS Audio room. I believe paul was affiliated with Genesis way back when, but nevertheless it says a lot when a manufacturer still makes a big show of his new flagship speaker...and its a Genesis 1!

Thanks, Lloyd. Unfortunately, Paul's speakers are even older than the Genesis 1, they are the IRS V's - probably from around the mid 80s.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Lloyd. Unfortunately, Paul's speakers are even older than the Genesis 1, they are the IRS V's - probably from around the mid 80s.

Well, that is an even BIGGER statement then, when a modern day manufacturer is proud to show off his new reference speakers...and they are from the mid-80s! How many other speakers from anywhere near that vintage would qualify as reference grade in a manufacturer's own room?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Gary. The only Genesis speakers I have owned were the Genesis IM 8200 + Servo 12 subwoofer in beautiful black piano, and as far as I know they are still playing at a friend of a friend's system! I hope that someday I will have the opportunity of listening to your new speakers.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congratulations Gary. The only Genesis speakers I have owned were the Genesis IM 8200 + Servo 12 subwoofer in beautiful black piano, and as far as I know they are still playing at a friend of a friend's system! I hope that someday I will have the opportunity of listening to your new speakers.

Thanks, Francisco. The Imaging Module series were the first out of the door when Arnie started Genesis Technologies in 1991. They are still well loved by many owners. It is unfortunate that many of the parts for that series of speakers were OEM'ed and no longer available.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Got me thinking ..... I've owned four speakers that were the centerpiece of my primary system. AR-12s from 1977 to 1980 (were always blowing tweeters), Infinity RS-2.5 from 1980 to 1988 (nice, but flabby bass), Infinity RS1b from 1988 to 1997 ('sensible' man's IRS) and now Genesis 200/201 from 1997 to now. The latter have been by far the best, and the most reliable. Thought about a set of Genesis IIs in the mid-1990's but held off, and glad I did because the 200 are much more room friendly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing