Lone Survivor

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Saw this one today and it was truly a terrific film, action packed from start to finish. It will keep you on the edge of your seat until the rolling credits which shows photos of those killed in the attack

Mark Wahlberg as always was terrific.

Based on the failed June 28, 2005 mission "Operation Red Wings". Four members of SEAL Team 10 were tasked with the mission to capture or kill notorious Taliban leader Ahmad Shahd.

The film was 2 hours and even though this film didn't drag at all it seemed double that in length due to all of the action.

Written and directed by Peter Berg (who can forget him as surgeon Billy Kronk in Chicago Hope)

This film is definitely thumb's way up and if you're into a guy flick, this will satisfy your cravings. I must admit however that my wife liked the film.

It will have you talking on the way out of the theater and for quite a while afterwards. Not to be missed

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Waiting for Bluray, but definitely will buy. I would love to know what lessons the Seals learned from this, and how it affects their training and strategy. For example, if somebody stumbles upon you do they now just kill them, tie them up, etc.

Zero Dark Thirty was interesting because, while unstated, it was obvious their orders were kill UBL, kill any adult males there, and kill anyone else who interferes.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I just started the book on the flight back from Vegas and it's gripping. At or near page 125, still in training.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I give it a 7.5 out of 10. What is unusual is I feel it was better than the book but Whalberg's acting was just so-so. As with so many "Based on a True Story" movies the director felt that he had to add a Hollywood ending to make us feel good. The real story of the second worst Special Ops casualty count of the Afghan war and the incident surrounding Lt. Murphy actions and being awarded the Medal of Honor should have been enough.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I give it a 7.5 out of 10. What is unusual is I feel it was better than the book but Whalberg's acting was just so-so. As with so many "Based on a True Story" movies the director felt that he had to add a Hollywood ending to make us feel good. The real story of the second worst Special Ops casualty count of the Afghan war and the incident surrounding Lt. Murphy actions and being awarded the Medal of Honor should have been enough.

I would also give it between a 7.5 and an 8

I enjoyed the film but do agree about everything Hollywood added to the film which obviously is meant to sell tickets.

I thought the stunt men should get special distinction awards as they rolled down those mountains hitting everything on the way down

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Just finished it... one of the most inspiring books I've ever read. Not sure I want to see the hyped up Hollywood movie now. It may ruin it in my mind's eye.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I saw this movie yesterday...really great film. Even my wife liked it...

I also liked the music...the guitar seemed well recorded...might have to get the soundtrack...

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The Sandia Mountains, used extensively in the film, are right in my back yard. I've climbed and hiked all over them. The scenes of those falls down the hills had us cringing, as we know the terrain so well. Everything out there is sharp and dangerous. Even the Taliban kid running down the boulder scree field to rat out the SEAL team had us wincing. The rattlesnake scene is something that absolutely could happen in that environment; I lost most of my right biceps saving my dog from a rattler bigger than the one in the film.

The film was gripping, even with the "Hollywoodized" twist. The technical aspects of the Blu-ray, sound & picture quality were reference-quality. Stuff was falling off tables and pictures were crooked on the wall during the helicopter and explosion scenes. The mountain firefight featured quite-realistic bullets-flying-through-the-room effects. The visuals, so well known to us, were very good and the cinematography on the long shots was almost as breath-taking as it is live.

Recommended.

Lee

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Lee. I guess it's a keeper then. I'll get the BD.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing