Lone Ranger

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
This movie is setting records for a $250 million movie- unfortunately the record number of bad reviews.

I was actually optimistic this could be good, but doesn't seem worth the trip. Anyone go see it?

KeithR

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not me. But the previews I have seen with Johnny Dep playing Tonto with a bird on his head looks pretty stupid. Is it a comedy or a serious movie? I loved the original Lone Ranger TV show when I was a kid and never thought of it as a comedy.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
We have traditionally felt the opposite of the critics in movies we have seen.

There are countless movies that got good reviews by the critics that we couldn't wait to be over.

The "people's" reviews on the internet were often more telling whether we were going to enjoy a movie.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I just have a hard time getting into these big budget, star-studded extravaganzas- most are all about action, special effects, maybe a few comedic moments, and Johnny Depp seems to have made a career out of impersonating Keith Richards on a good day. Sure, I'll catch these on an airplane or just to see what I missed in the theatre- but most of the time, I'm bored.
By contrast, I just started watching The Wire, for the first time, a few weeks ago, and am almost done with the third season. It takes time, the characters are credible, the plots well hatched, the writing just keeps getting better and better (with George Pelacanos, Dennis Lehane and Richard Price writing the teleplays, there's a lot to like). To me, these 'long form' television dramas kick the ass off of most big budget movies these days.
I gather that the Lone Ranger is taking a dump at the box office. Maybe even the 'average' moviegoer is looking for something more.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
watched this right after Red 2.... me and my wife did not enjoy this movie. for some reason I felt there was a disconnect between the two leading characters. my wife was bored. I will not buy the movie, but might get a copy of the soundtrack. The last 2 tracks were awesome,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing