Live Music Is Better

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Discuss.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
"Live Music Is Better" bumper stickers will be issued.

Bruce

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Live Music is better, but only if you like the live music being played. :p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Asamel,

Some people have disagreed with you. In "Memories and Commentaries" of Igor Stravinsky by Robert Craft, Stravinsky answers a question about stereophonic sound reproduction: “How can we continue to prefer an inferior reality (the concert hall) to ideal stereophony?”

Attachments

• aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 130

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I'm talking about performance rather than just sound reproduction. To me a great live show can't be beat. Studio albums are great but the songs live, by a great band, can't be beat.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Live Music is better, but only if you like the live music being played. :p

...and like the people you're with or just happen o be around you ;)

One thing a live event can have that a reproduction can't emulate is the energy of the crowd. Nothing like the energy of a good audience.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
...and like the people you're with or just happen o be around you ;)

One thing a live event can have that a reproduction can't emulate is the energy of the crowd. Nothing like the energy of a good audience.

True enough!:)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
than dead music?
Ok, i won't be glib. Sure, but there's alot you have to put up with that sometimes detracts from the experience, depending on the venue, your seat, the acoustics of the venue, comfort (I have a hard time with small theatre-style seats), temperature, etc. Of course, I prefer hearing music being performed to listening to a recording of it, but you also have issues with what kind of day the performer is having. How many of you have gone to hear somebody you thought you loved, listening to their recordings, and in reality, they were awful?
One funny short story: at a RRHall of Fame Awards Show years ago, when the Eagles were inducted, they (shocking) played "Hotel California." Joe Walsh was the only person I have ever heard who played the song, note for note, exactly as it was recorded. And he looked bored doing it.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
In many cases, a live performance is better because it is less processed. In others, it is worse because the act you thought was talented is merely the result of the creative use of Pro Tools. I have seen both.

Recently, I saw a performer named Sierra Hull. Her genius really came out more at that venue than on any of her recorded music. I was able to see her adapt to requested music that she hadn't played in a long time, and I was able to experience her genius firsthand. The girl is a bluegrass mandolin player who has the uncanny ability to seamlessly move from bluegrass to jazz without most of the traditional bluegrass audience realizing exactly what has just transpired. You just don't get that on a recording as well as you do when you see it happening. I love audio, but you can't beat the real thing.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The emotional component of the "crowd" experience combined with the real-life spontaneity of a live act make live performances typically more involving. Live, unamplified concerts have almost always sounded better than recordings, but often amplified performances have poorer sound quality (to me) than their recorded counterparts.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing