Liszt List?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I did a search, and a few of the obvious recordings came up , but can folks here contribute to a list of Liszt ?(vinyl is my only medium, but if it's also available on other media, that's fine too). I have a few of the usual suspects, e.g. Nojima, a few old Mercurys, the odd Everest and just finished listing to an old demo pressing on Columbia of Philippe Entremont which wasn't half bad, although a tad noisy.
I realized I'm a little light in the Liszt department and find some of the work stirring, even if it may be 'warhorse' material as far as serious classical piano devotees are concerned.
Thanks in advance.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Stanislav Richter Liszt Piano Concerto No.1 go for the US Philips pressing :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I don't know if these are available on record, but I've heard and liked these on CD:

Abduraimov
Prokofiev Sonata no. 6 Liszt, and Saint Saens
(good review on Amazon)

Liszt The Complete Etudes
Claudio Arrau
Philips
(good reviews on Amazon)

Yundi Li
Chopin Liszt
Piano Concerto No. 1
Deutsche Grammophon
(good reviews on Amazon)

Liszt: Faust Symphony; Tone Poems; Psalm XIII [Original recording remastered] EMI Classics
Thomas Beecham (Conductor), Constantin Silvestri (Conductor), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Orchestra), Philharmonia Orchestra of London (Orchestra), Alexander Young (Performer), Walter Midgeley

Liszt: 12 Etudes d'Execution Transcendante Alice Sara Ott Deutsche Grammophon

Piano Masters: Clifford Curzon
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Franz Liszt (Composer), Franz Schubert (Composer), Boyd Neel (Conductor), Henry J. Wood (Conductor), National Symphony Orchestra (Orchestra), Queen's Hall Orchestra (Orchestra), Clifford Curzon (Performer) Pearl Records

Mike

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My preferred Liszt masterpiece is "Années de pèlerinage" (Years of Pilgrimage) played by Lazar Berman.

But the "12 Etudes d'exécution transcendante" recordings performed by Claudio Arrau receive almost the same listening time!

Attachments

• aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 103
  • aa2..jpg
    aa2..jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 109

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How do you mean, Micro? They have the same recording length?

No - the first recording is a three CD album and the second one just one CD.

But I play the "12 Études" more frequently.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing