Listening distance with CR1?

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
I have a maybe fairly heavily damped listening environment and prefer to listen at 2.5 - 2.7m distance (speakers about 2.2m apart).

What works for you?

M

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Distance between speakers = 1.85m, distance speakers to listener = 2.3m. I think the setup is fairly flexible as long as the triangle is near equilateral with the distance between speakers being a little less (as per manual) and the speaker woofers are not situated in room mode nodes or anti-nodes. You could go much larger in the triangle dimensions and also much smaller (thanks to the CST drive unit which is ideal for near field listening).

Over at the AudioAficionado forum (more social chat than serious audio talk) Andrew Jones has agreed to join in on the TAD forum there and I posed him this very question there, waiting for his reply.

Last edited:

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
OK - will check AAf. The reason I asked was in my experience I need to be fairly near the speakers to benefit most from their strengths - too much reverberant sound dilutes the direct sound in my experience if much more than about 3m away.
M

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
OK - will check AAf. The reason I asked was in my experience I need to be fairly near the speakers to benefit most from their strengths - too much reverberant sound dilutes the direct sound in my experience if much more than about 3m away.
M

Of course this is one of the key advantages of the concentric midrange/tweeter configuration in the CR1 - the off-axis response is fantastic and so the reverberant reflecting sounds will not skew the direct sound as much as with other speakers. What you describe is actually a key benefit of these speakers as compared to others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing