Light Harmonic Sire DAC

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
How about some benefit of the doubt. Like I said, I may represent them but I'm not privy to what's going on in their office. I don't see where in JI's report that it can be inferred that the thing hasn't been designed yet. Might we be just a little bit hasty with the assumptions here?

Admit it, it's the price. LOL.

Yeah, I fell off my chair too and I have a turntable and speakers that costs more. LOL.
Curious, if you did not rep them would you not be rolling your eyes with us as well? ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Who said my eyes didn't roll before I almost fell off my chair? Everybody has a value limit built in. So this one goes past mine for reasons that actually have nothing to do with how it might perform.

I just felt a bit uncomfortable with micros use of "serious" and "sota". The Da Vinci is certainly a serious piece of kit and SOTA too IMO. So maybe the guys in the marketing office landed flat on their faces on this one, doesn't mean the guys in engineering did too.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I don't see why LH's business practices impact upon other highend businesses. At least they are trying to offer a wide variety of price ranges to meet everyone's needs. I don't view this as a surprise at all. I think Gavin was talking about doing a wide variety of price points over a year ago.

I am curious to know whether they will be shipping the Geek on schedule.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I just felt a bit uncomfortable with micros use of "serious" and "sota". The Da Vinci is certainly a serious piece of kit and SOTA too IMO. So maybe the guys in the marketing office landed flat on their faces on this one, doesn't mean the guys in engineering did too.

No doubt if the marketing department says we need a $120K, limited production DAC, to sell to the market segment wanting to own "the worlds most expensive DAC", engineering can cram some components in a box that delivers the goods. If cost of goods on the BOM does not add up to the target number, you can always stick a golden faceplate on it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm waiting for the Pulse and Pulse X

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I don't see why LH's business practices impact upon other highend businesses. At least they are trying to offer a wide variety of price ranges to meet everyone's needs. I don't view this as a surprise at all. I think Gavin was talking about doing a wide variety of price points over a year ago.

I am curious to know whether they will be shipping the Geek on schedule.

Disagree. The business practices of a company within an industry can absolutely impact the whole.

One can name endless examples across other industries.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No doubt if the marketing department says we need a $120K, limited production DAC, to sell to the market segment wanting to own "the worlds most expensive DAC", engineering can cram some components in a box that delivers the goods. If cost of goods on the BOM does not add up to the target number, you can always stick a golden faceplate on it.

I believe another company owns that title and will continue to hold it. Not sure it has a gold faceplate on it though. Well, maybe a little one.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro,

I don't really know what's going on. This is the first I've heard of this new planned DAC. I'm just wondering how any vapor could hurt "serious" companies. Would you mind clarifying that statement?

1 year gone and the Da Vinci server hasn't gone into production yet. I don't see Aurender et al hurting. If anything it's LH that missed opportunities.

Jack,

You said it all - you do not know what's going on. And what is reported in Stereophile is not serious. High-end is fighting to show they represent good value, as most products are, and IMHO this type of strategy is not helping.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Golden face plate blessed by virgins and coated with oil of the finest truffles.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Can you identify one example where an entire free market industry suffered a setback solely because one company priced one of their products/services too high?

The first Apple Macintosh. Caused PC sales to stall for a long period of time. The electric car market is 1/10th of what it should be due to price resistance.

Telsa has gone through multiple rounds of funding and almost closed its doors on several occasions.

Pricing is but one issue. The message you send is another.

High end audio is a different beast. A 120,000 DAC is some thing you have to dream up, and then figure out how to possibly
introduce with a straight face.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The first Apple Macintosh. Caused PC sales to stall for a long period of time. The electric car market is 1/10th of what it should be due to price resistance.

Telsa has gone through multiple rounds of funding and almost closed its doors on several occasions.

High end audio is a different beast. A 120,000 DAC is some thing you have to dream up, and then figure out how to possibly

Bit of a stretch. These are all products (computers and cars), with a mass market appeal. 90% of the population does not even know what a DAC is (ask a random person). Of the 10% that do, 10% own one. Of those that own one, 99% believe anyone paying 5 figures for a DAC is clinically insane. The remaining. The remaining 0.01% (if I have my math right) of the population hangs around on audio forums talking to themselves. Bottom line, no sane person really cares about this, and we all just have too much time on our hands.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for those examples. I appreciate that you limited them to freemarket businesses. I think it would easier to identify examples from non-freemarket industries.

I think the difference here from your examples is that DAC manufacture and sales is a fairly mature business now. It's been going on for 30+ years. Your examples are from nascent industry trying to launch a whole new consumer category.

I agree that the LH press release looks silly and the DAC won't be worth a fraction the asking price to anyone with the cash. I don't see the harm.

Assuming LH can be successful in actually manufacturing and delivering the Geek to it's customers, it will be really good for highend audio, IMO. I think LH is reaching out to new untapped customers and that's really smart. I just hope they deliver on it and make those new customers really happy so they stay interested.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks for those examples. I appreciate that you limited them to freemarket businesses. I think it would easier to identify examples from non-freemarket industries.

I think the difference here from your examples is that DAC manufacture and sales is a fairly mature business now. It's been going on for 30+ years. Your examples are from nascent industry trying to launch a whole new consumer category.

I agree that the LH press release looks silly and the DAC won't be worth a fraction the asking price to anyone with the cash. I don't see the harm.

Assuming LH can be successful in actually manufacturing and delivering the Geek to it's customers, it will be really good for highend audio, IMO. I think LH is reaching out to new untapped customers and that's really smart. I just hope they deliver on it and make those new customers really happy so they stay interested.

Thank you in kind for your response.

Let me be clear, LH has every right to do what ever they like, they are a private company. They are doing
nothing illegal or unethical. Just silly to some.

I guess some of the comments here take issue with how it reflects on the industry in general. It has nothing
to do with it being a DAC..it could be an preamp, or a cable, or a speaker. Anything arbitrarily priced to grab
headlines shows a lack of substance.

I agree the Geek is a very interesting venture.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
These prices are becoming a joke now.

I can only think of one contender in world : Weiss' experimental Maya that is USD200,000! :p

192541g7i7bw5wpz2qdpee.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing