Light dimmers introduce noise into system

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
There was a slight intermittent buzzing sound coming out of my speakers that I could nail the root cause for quite some time. Long story short, it turns out to be the darn light dimmers. Full turn-on - no noise. Dimmed - buzzing sound. Anyone else with similar experience and what did you end up with? I still want the ability to dim lights in my room but if that means noise, they will go to the trash bins. Several members suggested Lutron in the past, but is there anyone with similar experience and the Lutron solved the problem? Thanks.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, leyenda. I have Lutron in my listening room with no discernible noise whether off, low or full blast. If the noise continues with anything that you install, a dedicated line will solve all.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Product...roDimmerSwitch/ModelNumbers.aspx#SectionHead1

I have a master and a slave in the same room and on the same circuit at the time, until I do get the dedicated lines installed. FWIW.

Tom

Reactions: tima and rugyboogie

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
You are welcome. One other thing that just now came to me is to check and tighten ALL grounds within said circuit. From the circuit breaker to the outlets including all switches and/or junction boxes along the way. Also insure the home itself is properly grounded.

Electrical gremlins can be one of the most frustrating things that audiophiles experience.

Tom

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I agree with Tom - the Lutron Maestro dimmers are excellent. I have them all over my house including the audio room. What I find really cool about these is you can control them from almost anywhere, not just at the wall switch, using Lutron's Pico control which is a small wireless switch.

You can program a Pico to control any one or a combination of lights that are on a Maestro. With a bit of velcro you can attach the Pico almost anywhere. I put them at both ends of my long kitchen island under the counter. With two lighting circuits in my audio room I have a dual Pico tabletop pedestal next to my listening chair. I also agree that dedicated lines for the audio room are key.

picowirelesscomp_tbltoppednew.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing