LG OLED displays aces measurements/qualtiy

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Our own member, Ray Soneria just finished a technical review of LG's OLED flat panel. He says it is essentially perfect: http://www.displaymate.com/LG_OLED_TV_ShootOut_1.htm. I have never seen a TV shipped with such a perfect out of box calibration. Wonder if they consulted with Ray for that part :).

"Comparison with LCD TVs
LCDs are currently the dominant display technology because they do lots of things very well. One area where LCDs are clearly number one is in Peak Brightness (because their separate backlight can be easily brightened). The LG OLED TV has a Peak Brightness comparable to the brightest LCD TVs, but only for Average Picture Levels (APL) below 30%, which is typical for essentially all TV, movie and video content. Above 30% APL, which is common for web and computer content with white backgrounds, the OLED Brightness decreases but the LCD Brightness remains unchanged. Other than Peak Brightness at high APL the OLED TV significantly outperforms all LCDs in every other category including Black Levels, Contrast Ratio, Viewing Angles, and Response Time. We’ll cover LCD TV performance in detail in Part II of the article.

Comparison with Plasma TVs
Plasma TVs have a smaller market share, but they are often preferred by video enthusiasts over LCDs because of their superior Black Levels, Contrast Ratio, Viewing Angles, and Response Time. However, Plasma displays produce visible image noise at dark intensity levels, which compromises their picture quality. The OLED TV clearly outperforms Plasmas in all of these categories. Plasma TVs typically have peak Brightness (Luminance) levels of 100 to 200 cd/m2, whereas the OLED TV produces roughly double that value, even on the accurately calibrated ISF Expert picture modes. OLEDs will clearly become the preferred technology for video enthusiasts. We’ll cover Plasma TV performance in detail in Part II of the article.

LG OLED TV Conclusions
OLEDs are the most interesting and promising new display technology in over a decade – possibly ever. In a span of just a few years this new display technology has improved at a very impressive rate, first challenging and now surpassing the performance of the best LCD and Plasma displays. OLED technology provides a number of major technology enhancements for displays: high Peak Brightness together with perfect Blacks, Infinite Contrast Ratios, very wide Viewing Angles, and very fast Response Times without visible Motion Blur. Equally impressive is that OLEDs have now moved up from small mobile displays into large TV screens for the living room.

But what makes this LG TV absolutely stunning is the combination of OLED display technology together with a very accurate factory calibration that delivers picture quality and accuracy that is visually indistinguishable from perfect based on our extensive Lab tests – a commendable and impressive achievement!

Another notable milestone is that this first generation OLED TV is already outperforming the established and highly refined LCD and Plasma technologies. Normally it takes at least 5 years for that to happen, so a lot has been going on behind the scenes… The biggest remaining challenge is to improve OLED TV production so that the price can come down as quickly as possible to more affordable levels. OLED TVs will eventually become cheaper to make than LCDs and Plasmas because they are considerably less complicated to manufacture and assemble. I can’t wait to see that happen…"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sounds pretty good from that preliminary test.

We'll see what reliability and longevity OLED will eventually bring, and what competitors (Samsung) have in their magic rabbit hat.
- I don't recall yet of hearing about Panasonic OLED?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
those measurements IMO tend to corroborate what I saw at CES 2 years ago when the LG Oled was displayed with the Samsung and Sony Oled and there was just no comparison. The LG 3D set was by far the most perfect picture I have ever seen

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another bit of good news here is that LG dropped its price by $5,000 to be competitive with Samsung OLED. It now lists for $10K which is $1K higher than Samsung. Wonder how long it will be before a head to head is done between the two to see if the extra money buys extra performance.

I would have been a buyer at half the price :).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
At CES we were told they expected it to be priced between $6500-$8000

I was in for that amount

The picture had me absolutely captivated and the 3D was the best I have ever seen. There were absolutely no motion artifacts. Compared to the Samsung and Sony.....well let's just say that there was no comparison

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I thought the funeral for consumer 3D happened a while ago.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Amir, you been talking about the rejection problem with OLEDs. If they're as quoted in the article, "less complicated to assemble and manufacture," are we to believe those issues are a thing of the past?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not at all. Otherwise, they would be selling for 20% of what they cost. I suspect they are throwing out a lot of panels and or repairing them individually. That said, the fact they did bring them to market is a major milestone in any display technology. It means they can make thousands of them at non-astronomical prices.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not at all. Otherwise, they would be selling for 20% of what they cost. I suspect they are throwing out a lot of panels and or repairing them individually. That said, the fact they did bring them to market is a major milestone in any display technology. It means they can make thousands of them at non-astronomical prices.

Ok thanks!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The bloom is certainly off the rose on 3D.

Not at my mansion, no it isn't. :b ...Always getting the best 3D Blu-ray movies; my 3D collection keeps growing and growing, with well above hundred titles.
I'll be ready for OLED 3D, that is for sure. ...And more.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nah...not for a TV, for crying out loud! At that kind of price, I can buy a decent pair of interconnects! ;)

Or a cartridge ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing