Let's Talk Oscar Predictions

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well that day is almost upon us and the guessing games begin as to who will take home the coveted trophy.

I've seen all of the films this year and would like to make my predictions based solely on my viewing experiences. Mine may or may not agree with yours so post yours as well as give your reasons why

First of all I wish the Academy would have the major awards divided into two categories as they do in The Golden Globes Awards where there are awards for dramatic roles and awards for comedic and musical roles. If so, my sentimental favorite movie this year Silver Linings Playbook, I am convinced could win in all 6 major categories although I would bet that Hugh Jackman would probably beat Bradley Cooper for Best Actor.

Having said all this here are my predictions for the 6 major awards

Best Picture Argo.

No question this was the movie of the year. A true story done with finesse and ending on a feel good note. Even though we knew how it ends we were all on the edges of our seats. If I had any reservations about the movie it was the role of Tony Mendez, played by Ben Affleckk who IMO should stick to writing and directing where he excels, going back to Good Will Hunting. The other travesty is that affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director, an award which he clearly deserves.

This was a year of excellent movies with many other contenders, some of whom also did not have their Directors nominated

Best Director

For me this is the toughest decision inasmuch as Ben Affleck should win. One would then think of Spielberg for Lincoln which was also a terrific movie but IMO just not Best Picture so why then woud I give this to Spielberg if his movie won't win. As I said, if there were 2 categories, split between dramatic roles and comedic or musical roles it would be easy as I would give the award to David O. Russell as the film was just that good. In the absence of two categories therefore here is who I am giving the Oscar to

Ang Lee for Life Of Pi which was an amazing movie and should win several other Oscars

Best Actor Simply put, if Daniel Day Lewis doesn't win this one, then there is no justice. IMO he didn't play Lincoln but rather was Lincoln. No other actor even came close

Best Actress Initially I gave this to Jessica Chastain for her role in Zero Dark Thirty. Then I saw Silver Linings Playbook and my winner hands down is the young and beautiful Jennifer Lawrence. I believe this is her year

Best Supporting Actor This is also a very tough category as all nominees were excellent in their roles. Initially I voted for Christoph Waltz and still feel him to be my sentimental favorite to win. With Argo leading the pack one would wonder if Alan Arkin will get the nod this year however don't sell short the performance of Robert de Niro who last won over 30 years ago. TBH any of these actors are deserving of the award

Best Supporting Actress Here also there is just no debate. If Anne Hathaway isn't giving her acceptance speech after the result is read there is again no justice

Best Original Screen Play: Zero Dark Thirty. A very dark and disturbing story but well told

Best Adapted Screen Play :Argo without a doubt

Best Cinematography: Life Of Pi

Best Visual Effects: Life Of Pi

There are many more categories but these are my predictions in the major categories

I saw Argo today... I'll be shocked if it wins best picture tonight... Affleck simply blew it in the end - if nothing else, a plane at takeoff is going over 150mph and there is no way police cars (in 1980!) are catching up with it; and they couldn't call the tower??? this is just pure Holywood; he could have picked a more credible ending.

As a Canadian, ARGO leaves me cold and is another example of the Hollywood machine producing a picture to make an American contribution look more important than what it really was. How sad.

I saw Argo today... I'll be shocked if it wins best picture tonight... Affleck simply blew it in the end - if nothing else, a plane at takeoff is going over 150mph and there is no way police cars (in 1980!) are catching up with it; and they couldn't call the tower??? this is just pure Holywood; he could have picked a more credible ending.

The film is 'loosely' based on true events. :b

* 'Searching for Sugar Man' is going to win. :b

** 'Looper' and 'Skyfall' aren't part of the overall Oscar picture?

I'm hoping to see Silver Linings Playbook win big tonight. Haven't seen such a sweet and entertaining movie in a long time. Though I still would be happy to see Christoph Waltz win again for Dyango.

My sentimental favorite this year was indeed Silver Linings Playbook. If the Academy separated into Best Picture drama or comedy/musical, there is no doubt in my mind that it would win in all 6 major categories

-- I'm glad that you took it lightly Phil, because I mentioned it that way. :b

* Watch that short video from that link I just provided; it's worth it.

i know bob. :)

will do.

good to see my own 'bets' winning. jennifer lawrence and christoph waltz. i'm not too hot on argo winning best pic. i would have wanted lincoln to win that. and not too hot on 'pi' either. would have wanted to see steven bag that best director award.

-- 'Searching for Sugar Man' won! ... Sixto Rodriguez right on! :cool:

* And Adele 007! :b

** And Christoph! :b

*** And Quentin! :b

**** And Daniel! :b

***** And Ben! :b

Last edited:
Ben Afflek - from zero to hero :)

-- Ben's a good man; surrounded by other good men, and women.

BTW, Daniel Day-Lewis; was still acting when receiving his Oscar and talking to the audience tonight (last night for some people). :b

Daniel Day Lewis was committed to playing Margaret Thatcher...That was a good one. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing