LCD CRUSHES OLED in another Public Shoot-Out...SHOCK!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
YashN, you watched a fair amount of 4K Blu-rays, you are happy. Did you ever watch 3D?

Yes, I've watched 3D but mostly on the big screen: Gatsby in Toronto for instance.

On the small screen, I've only watched a couple of things, like a Duran Duran Live in London DVD using the bi-colored filters.

Never tried 3D Blu-Ray, although I have a couple in my collection, I believe Dredd 3D and Clash of The Titans 3D.

In my current setup, my Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player is 3D compatible, but my TV isn't.

Hopefully, we get a 4K OLED with 3D one day.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Y
4K is cool, 4K is new, 3D is cool, 3D is older but not dead. I saw 4K, I saw 3D...and I asked what is the more immersive cinema experience between them.
I'm very curious.

Since you like 3D, you can choose a 4K screen which supports it - it doesn't have to be an either/or - of course, ensure you get a player which can do 3D as well. I know you already have, but when you get a 4K Ultra-HD player, look for the feature as well.

OLED wasn't king for a minute: there's nothing better currently. We'll have to see if a couple of alternate or related technologies beat it at some characteristics, but so far, from my own eyes, 4K OLED is flabbergasting.

Heck, even 1080p OLED is fantastic, and makes you realise you've been looking at 'grey' blacks all these years. Hence, there's no way a LED can be as good as OLED if you look for purely this characteristic: the realism of blacks.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Haven't yet tried, but there are 4K screens which also do 3D, although you'll probably be hard pressed to find 4K 3D material as studios don't seem too keen on these - you'd be re-using your Blu-Ray 1080p 3D content upscaled in that case.

The thing with upscaling Blu-Ray is that depending on the source material and up-scaling algorithms things can look a little 'patchy' in places, at least to me sitting up close it looks that way on a 4K TV which isn't HDR equipped. It could be another story with HDR, assuming the upscaling process use HDR (hey and possibly WCG) to make a better up-scaled image.

Yes I know that Yash: 4K is only 2D, and 3D is only 2K. * Can you really upscale 3D/2K to 4K? I did not read about it; perhaps I missed it somewhere.

And I'm not buying and 4K OLED or LED TVs that don't have 3D capability; I'm just too much 3D love invested financially.
So no cheap TVs for me. No curve either. I want flat 3D geometry. I'll take my time...no rush, no Oppo 3D/4K BR player yet.
And those 4K Blu-rays I'll give them time to come down to Earth's reality for the common mortals...till greed fade away. :b

1. You want Rio summer olympic games in UHD, and in 3D...so you need that special 4K TV...be it LED or OLED.
2. You want Atmos and DTS:X immersive audio...so you need that new pre/pro 11.2-channel (or receiver). ...With HDMI 2.0c and HDCP 2.2
3. You need that UHD/4K/3D Blu-ray player. And right now Samsung and Panasonic are not the ones for me.
4. You need hi-speed HDMI 2.0 cables for 4K and 3D.

Brief you need to replace everything you have with the new stuff, and all that new stuff cost much more than yesterday's older stuff like when you could buy a 65" class 3D plasma TV for only $999. Sure you can buy a 65" 4K TV for $999, but no 3D capability, and no top quality picture.

And that new 4K pre/pro...it goes from roughly $3,000 to $30,000 (Trinnov 4K Altitude64). Or JBL Synthesis 4K.

HDMI 4K cables? Transparent, Shunyata, AudioQuest, Belkin, MonoPrice, Monster Cable, ...lots of choices, lots of prices.

4K Blu-ray players? Way too early still in that game. HDR and Dolby Vision and all that jazz.

* Plasma TVs near the end were the good times; not like @ the beginning when a 50" plasma was $20,000
The Kuros were also the good times.

We're still waiting for 4K front projectors that can do the real thing and accessible for most common mortals. We'll miss it for the Rio summer olympic games, starting Friday.

_________

Edit: When I multiquote; I have to remove the multiquote for my next post or it will reappear again. It does not disappear automatically; I think it's a glitch in the system but I'm not sure.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, I've watched 3D but mostly on the big screen: Gatsby in Toronto for instance.
On the small screen, I've only watched a couple of things, like a Duran Duran Live in London DVD using the bi-colored filters.
Never tried 3D Blu-Ray, although I have a couple in my collection, I believe Dredd 3D and Clash of The Titans 3D.
In my current setup, my Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player is 3D compatible, but my TV isn't.
Hopefully, we get a 4K OLED with 3D one day.

Thanks Yash, now I see.

Since you like 3D, you can choose a 4K screen which supports it - it doesn't have to be an either/or - of course, ensure you get a player which can do 3D as well. I know you already have, but when you get a 4K Ultra-HD player, look for the feature as well.
OLED wasn't king for a minute: there's nothing better currently. We'll have to see if a couple of alternate or related technologies beat it at some characteristics, but so far, from my own eyes, 4K OLED is flabbergasting.
Heck, even 1080p OLED is fantastic, and makes you realise you've been looking at 'grey' blacks all these years. Hence, there's no way a LED can be as good as OLED if you look for purely this characteristic: the realism of blacks.

Oh yes I like 3D. And when I buy a new 4K TV you can bet that she'll be 3D capable, that's number one feature after true 4K and HDR.
And same for the BR player; I am almost certain that Oppo will retain its 3D feature in its next 4K BR players, so no problem here.

4K OLED or 4K LCD LED? It needs to do 3D as well for sure. Only in the top tiers. Price will account into the equation versus proportional picture quality performance.
Size? I'm aiming for 65", because OLED 75" is still very very expensive. And yes I would love even bigger @ 85". But with 4K/3D it won't be less than a certain limited budget @ this point and time in my life.

* This thread is funny; LCD crushes OLED. :D ...90%+ of all the links on the Internet are putting OLED (LG) ahead of LCD (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Vizio).
Forbes video writer, UK viewers, German viewers...I don't know where they get their set of eyes...@ the Panasonic food bank, or the Samsung one.
I'm sure they aren't biased, or financially oriented...no no no. :D ...They simply must have received some defective OLED panels.

I think nowadays it's becoming more and more important regarding QC (Quality Control) from TV manufacturers, yes it is.
It's up to us, the buyers, to let them know the TV manufacturers about their defective panels and get our money back.
The more awareness, us the buyers, we'll gain, the more they'll get their game together. ...Or they'll end up with many defective panels unsold, and they'll lose their margins, and their reputation. It's happening more and more, and it will continue. ...The same with cars and housing market.

And! Each country's own economy...of course. In Canada right now it's almost like in Venezuela, or Brazil.
The best country to live in, as Michelle Obama said, is in the USA. ...Or Abu Dhabi. :D ...For 4K TVs. ...OLED.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
4K OLED or 4K LCD LED?

No more LCD TV for us, we already have a 4K LCD one and the previous HD one was LCD too. OLED all the way, unless something better and more affordable appears and I can compare them with my own eyes.

It needs to do 3D as well for sure. Only in the top tiers. Price will account into the equation versus proportional picture quality performance.
Size? I'm aiming for 65", because OLED 75" is still very very expensive. And yes I would love even bigger @ 85". But with 4K/3D it won't be less than a certain limited budget @ this point and time in my life.

I find OLED 65" still expensive for our budget here, but I think we'll see greatly reduced prices as from this Christmas or January next year.

It's a bit mind-boggling to see around $4,000 Canadian of difference between a 55" and a 65" OLED model if I remember correctly.

* This thread is funny; LCD crushes OLED. :D ...90%+ of all the links on the Internet are putting OLED (LG) ahead of LCD (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Vizio).

Well, even the article linked says the audience gave the "King of TV" title to the OLED so I don't know why people are distorting the facts, but at least two readers pointed out the discrepancy and how the title is misleading.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
OLED isn't that expensive if you buy from a reputable online reseller and in fact, the XBR940 Sonys are basically similar pricing. The difference between 55" and 65" was more like 1k, not 4k.

Sure, Samsung is "cheap" but its an inferior picture. OLED has such a deeper, natural, more film-like picture. The 2016s finally deliver the goods at a semi-reasonable price.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OLED isn't that expensive if you buy from a reputable online reseller and in fact, the XBR940 Sonys are basically similar pricing. The difference between 55" and 65" was more like 1k, not 4k.
That's what it was when I purchased mine.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

Where is the difference between 55" OLED 4K and 65" OLED 4K $1K? Show me.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Can you really upscale 3D/2K to 4K? I did not read about it; perhaps I missed it somewhere.

Check the OLED 4K TVs and see if they contain the 3D capability, then pair it with a 4K Blu-Ray Player which does 3D and upscaling. I believe that would give you an upscaled 1080p 3D material viewed on a 4K screen.

Don't go about saying "4K isn't 3D" because that's misleading.

What is true is that Studios don't seem to be interested to be producing 4K 3D content for consumption.

It doesn't mean you cannot view 3D on a 4K screen.

3. You need that UHD/4K/3D Blu-ray player. And right now Samsung and Panasonic are not the ones for me.
4. You need hi-speed HDMI 2.0 cables for 4K and 3D.

There's Phillips and the new XBox. There will at least be the Oppo too later. Possibly the next Playstation as well.

Hi-speed HDMI cables - that's a commodity. In fact I already had my cable way before I got my 4K gear... and it wasn't expensive at all.

4K Blu-ray players? Way too early still in that game. HDR and Dolby Vision and all that jazz.

There are already 2 4k Blu-Ray players with are Ultra-HD Premium certified. Prices are going down as well.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Do some homework, dude.

Dude, dude. You must be confused between screen sizes of models of different years as well as USD and CAD.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
i bought the new flat LG OLED SUHD 4k HDR 65 back in April. It was around 5k in Australia.

in terms of picture quality it simply the best i have ever seen. The colors are amazing, the fine detail is amazing and the blacks/greys are amazing. I came from a Bang & Olufsen LCD tv and was worried i would get he same high picture quality. But I'm quite frankly amazed at the quality - especially because we watch a lot of Netflix which is streamed in 4k and HDR on their own new titles.

it also has passive 3D - has anyone used this feature in my house -nope..... not even the kids

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
i bought the new flat LG OLED SUHD 4k HDR 65 back in April. It was around 5k in Australia.

in terms of picture quality it simply the best i have ever seen. The colors are amazing, the fine detail is amazing and the blacks/greys are amazing.

So far, the "SUHD" denomination for LG (actually 'Super UHD' in their terminology) indicates a non-OLED screen. Which one do you have, OLED or Super UHD?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
pedantic but true

OLED

Pedantic, eh?

Let's say someone who doesn't know the difference asks for and buys a Super UHD LG thinking he's going to get the best picture possible after seeing your post.

Then, he finds out, it isn't the best picture after all, he should have bought an OLED...

Nice TV (your OLED), probably one of the best on the market currently.

Here's a relevant quote from an article:

It's also worth noting that LG's Super UHD TVs aren't in fact its best, most expensive televisions. That honor belongs to LG's OLED TVs, which, in our tests, deliver better picture quality than any LCD, no matter how many fancy features they have.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Do some homework, dude.

You first, because you first came out with that small $1,000 difference...that's just fair. :b

* Look, an OLED LG UHD TV that can also do 3D and is 65" in diagonal is no small coins.
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65EC9700-oled-tv

? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...-65eg9600-glossy-crome-65eg9600/10395296.aspx
? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...spx?path=df20890be552ecb8a8089d9dd16cf9b4en02
? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=e4288bab49a66ab0cc23ef31ca343949en02

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/oled-tvs

We're talking 65" class, OLED, UHD/4K, 3D TV from LG here. In Canada they are from $6,000 to $10,000 - and 75" class @ $25,000+
Sure you can get a 55" class OLED 4K from LG for less and with 3D capability; I believe Amir has one of them, but I don't know the model number, and he also lives in the USA, where prices are much different than our loonie.

When we talk among us in a world/international language, economics are important. WBF is a universal forum.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

in terms of picture quality it simply the best i have ever seen. The colors are amazing, the fine detail is amazing and the blacks/greys are amazing. I came from a Bang & Olufsen LCD tv and was worried i would get he same high picture quality. But I'm quite frankly amazed at the quality - especially because we watch a lot of Netflix which is streamed in 4k and HDR on their own new titles.

it also has passive 3D - has anyone used this feature in my house -nope..... not even the kids

Why not!

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
it just doesn't work that well and by the time u have to wear the glasses nobody is interested - we have tried though

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You first, because you first came out with that small $1,000 difference...that's just fair. :b

We're talking 65" class, OLED, UHD/4K, 3D TV from LG here.

Actually, I'm not as I don't value 3D or gaming so I opted for a B series. And I don't care to quote dealers and pricing on a public forum.

You're quoting Best Buy, discontinued models, and others that don't matter. I'm sure if you pick up the phone, you will probably see a 65B6P isn't $4k more than a 55".

Good luck in your search - its going to be a sweet tv.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing