Lampizator Pacific - upgrade to version 2

Polygonhell

Jul 22, 2021
I have a KR RK 5U4G, I also have an anniversary edition 5U4G, prefer the former. I’ve also run RCA NOS 5U4G’s in it, and prefer the KR’s.
I have quads of KR RK242’s, PX25’s and T100’s, use the 242’s, the trade off is dynamics vs midrange weight and somewhat larger stage. But they all still sound like a Pacific, and 242 vs PX25 was a close call for my tastes.
I know other owners who prefer the PX25 or even 300B’s over the 242’s, there is a lot of what you are looking for and what you have it connected to in the equation.
it’s an expensive exercise to tube roll.

Reactions: christoph

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have KR 242, KR 242 RK, EML AD1. My favorite by far is regular KR 242.
Rectifiers (too many): Psvane ACME 274B, Psvane WE274B replica, KR 274B, KR 5U4GRK, EML 5U4GM, Svetlana Black Plate, Brimar, 5C3S (Russian), Linlai Elite 274B. Out of the entire pack my favorites are: EML 5U4GM, and ACME.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
OK thats for the main tubes, the rectifier and the triodes make a large difference too. Try the pv200/600 and the 7A7F (or maybe a pair of e83f's) respectively, theyre not expensive, just need some adapters from xulingmrs on ebay

Last edited:

Bart77

Dec 30, 2021
I have a KR RK 5U4G, I also have an anniversary edition 5U4G, prefer the former. I’ve also run RCA NOS 5U4G’s in it, and prefer the KR’s.
I have quads of KR RK242’s, PX25’s and T100’s, use the 242’s, the trade off is dynamics vs midrange weight and somewhat larger stage. But they all still sound like a Pacific, and 242 vs PX25 was a close call for my tastes.
I know other owners who prefer the PX25 or even 300B’s over the 242’s, there is a lot of what you are looking for and what you have it connected to in the equation.
it’s an expensive exercise to tube roll.
KR 242 are really great - wonderful dynamic, however it was too much for me. I was listening to PX25 and PX4 and finally I have chosen last one. KR Audio is really expensive now - something like 550 Euro/pcs - does anyone know nice NOS alternatives for it ?

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
KR 242 are not working well with most of solid state amps/monoblocks. However quite often these work extremely well with tube amps.
In my case synergy between Lampi Pacific and Wavac MD805m mono is simply fabulous.
By the way if anyone is interested I have almost brand new pair of KR 242 RK to let go. Just pm me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
KR 242 are not working well with most of solid state amps/monoblocks.

They work great with audionet and analog domain. There are others who used them with Soulution and CH, but I haven’t heard myself.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Possibly. But for me, my Pacific, which by the way I do like a lot, is one of many sources in my various systems. I still listen to digital media via CDs and SACDs using a conventional CD/SACD player. I think in some intangible way, a CD still sounds more “real” to me than a ripped FLAC bitstream. And I’ve ripped over 6000 CDs and SACDs, so it’s an easy comparison. Streaming sounds very compressed to my ears. It’s like watching Netflix vs 4K Blu ray disc playback. There’s just no comparison between these if you watch on a large screen projector.

Finally there’s vinyl. I have several turntables that I enjoy listening to. The world’s greatest recordings in the 20th century in virtually every genre — classical, country, folk, jazz, popular and rock — were all done on analog tape machines. Despite all their limitations, vinyl playback of analog sourced recordings still sounds more real to me. I’m listening as I’m typing to a great recording of the famous Elgar Cello concerto by the incomparable cellist Jacqueline du Pre, originally released as an EMI SLS vinyl record. Even though the streamed version is 24-bit 192khz, it does not remotely compare to the sound of the original EMI LP.

Long answer, but my reluctance to splurge even more on DACs than I already have is due to what I perceive, rightly or wrongly, as inherent limitations in the PCM digitization process that no DAC seems able to fix. Digital diehards always quote specs that seem ridiculously overblown. Once you understand that digital distorts more and more as the signal gets fainter, you begin to understand why digital mastering of famous analog recordings like du Pre’s incandescent performance simply sucks. No matter the bit rate.

Of course, with modern digital recordings, these caveats don’t apply. I do enjoy listening to new classical recordings on my Pacific. But these don’t compare to the greatest recordings of the analog era. If you want to hear truly fabulous dynamic range classical recordings, it’s hard to beat the 60 year old Mercury Living Presence using three mikes into an analog tube tape machine. These have far greater dynamic range to my ears than all the 24bit 192khz new albums on Qobuz I hear everyday. The new stuff sounds horribly compressed to my ears. No doubt it’s because the new recordings are massively multi miked, fed into some giant equalizer and mixed by a recording engineer to his/her taste. Who knows, maybe an intern on a summer gig did the mixing. The golden age of recordings is over. Now it’s all MP3 streaming and mass market economy of scale.

My biases, I know. If I had to listen to only one source and it was streaming, I’d buy the Horizon in a heartbeat. Money is not the issue. But as it stands, I can’t justify it if I listen to it only in juxtaposition with many other components.
I understand but you may not have your digital path built the proper way What is your digital path from the starting point which is a modem anyway? Maybe it is proper maybe not. Can you reveal this mystery. We may find that you have some pieces in the puzzle missing because my experince with digital is somewhat diffrent. I am not saying analog is not great in some way.

Reactions: Trab

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
KR 242 are not working well with most of solid state amps/monoblocks. However quite often these work extremely well with tube amps.
In my case synergy between Lampi Pacific and Wavac MD805m mono is simply fabulous.
By the way if anyone is interested I have almost brand new pair of KR 242 RK to let go. Just pm me.
Yes Kr242 working well with my SE-833 amps as well, great synergy. Psvang Acme from you suppose to come tommorow.

Reactions: JSA

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
It is true that KR242 can overdrive the pre-amp, including Audionet. This is easily solved for either by using the volume control on the DAC or attenuating via whatever software you're using. My Pacific did not have a volume control so I dropped the output from Roon by about 3dB which solved the problem.

Reactions: Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing