Lamm Announces New ML2.2 Amp For CES

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Steve. both are good reads...and both notably mention the X1/X2s as perhaps the perfect pairing. Yes, you have definitely mentioned that! ;) Will keep all posted.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So I will be doing a McIntosh mono vs. 845 SET monoblock comparison in my room in two weeks---very, very excited to hear SS vs. SET monoblocks at the same time.

If SET wins out, then I will have an interesting decision to make. Sophia 845s or Lamm 2.1s at that point.

(this is not the first SET amp i've had in my room fyi--i enjoyed the DH 845s, though just the sound not the look)

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
So I will be doing a McIntosh mono vs. 845 SET monoblock comparison in my room in two weeks---very, very excited to hear SS vs. SET monoblocks at the same time.

If SET wins out, then I will have an interesting decision to make. Sophia 845s or Lamm 2.1s at that point.

(this is not the first SET amp i've had in my room fyi--i enjoyed the DH 845s, though just the sound not the look)

Keith,

If your speakers were efficient enough you could also try one of the First Watt Class A SS amps which have many of the SET characteristics like my M2. ;)

Rich

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My brother has got an 833 on the way. I delivered his amp stands for them already. I'll let you know what I hear. :)

Hi Jack. Any update on 833s? i would very much like to hear your impressions! thanks.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Still haven't landed Lloyd, I'll ping you once they are in.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks. i have a sense the 833s are very particular amplifiers which work well with some speakers and less so with others. i base this on feedback, reviews, blogs and also the measurements which seem to suggest it is highly susceptible to difference impedance loading...more so than other amps, (i think)...based on Stereophile's measurements. IOW, if the speaker works well with it, great...if not, the amp's response can be far less linear and sound like it. the only area which might be fairly consistent would be mids where the SET magic seems to shine thru. the potential inconsistencies i think could be in the treble and bass delivery. in any event, all based on third party listening...will be interesting to hear your own opinion!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing